Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help identifying

claywalker2000

I have always loved geodes since I got my first one as a kid. A few years ago I went to New Mexico and bought one on my trip. Now every trip I take I buy a geode when I come across one.

Recently I made a trip to the Oregon Coast and I was at the Sea Lion Caves and I bought two geodes. Since I buy them I do not know the true origins of the geodes. The bigger one was a great geode to open up. But this one is solid and could not break it further. I need help identifying what I am seeing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

What you have there are chalcedony nodules. A nodule is solid, while a geode is hollow...both same material....chalcedony quartz.
Jim

Thank you for the replies. I would assume with Chalcedony nodules it is best to have them cut?

I am including pictures of the second one I cracked open if anyone was wanting to see it. I didn't have a break that I wanted and there are multiple smaller pieces. These are the two main pieces though.

It looks like Smithsonite a Zinc Carbonate, (not sure 100%) if you find on top of other zinc, lead, or silver, deposit hosted by carbonate rock.

I found a nugget along a river bed, had it tested at a friend's Pawn shop, passed all of the tests, not lead, silver or gold, they were unable to accurately identify, where do I go now?

Beekeeper7501 said:
I found a nugget along a river bed, had it tested at a friend's Pawn shop, passed all of the tests, not lead, silver or gold, they were unable to accurately identify, where do I go now?

Take it to your local community college geology department.
Or take it to a meeting of the local rockhounding club.
Or take it to a gem and mineral show.

There will be people in all of those places that can probably identify your rock. I'm betting that you wasted your time at the pawn shop btw. (I'm hoping you didn't tell the pawn shop where you found it cause if it IS gold...................)