Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help on a possible tag - perhaps a slave tag?

pedrod

Hello,
Just a week ago I was in an old part of our city and had asked a fellow club member what the area we were in had been? I was told that it had old houses and before them this was the part of the city where they kep the blacks when segregation was a real part of our society. (Hard to believe)

Well fast forward a week. I was metal detecting in this old lot and found what I believed to be a dog tag. No big deal, It was not significant find until I got home and put it through electrolysis.

Now I am bewildered at what I have found. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

It's definitely not a slave tag, which were all made in Charleston, SC and are clearly marked. The majority of slave tags were diamond-shaped with a hole punched into the top of that diamond for a suspension string, etc.

As to a heart-shaped piece, I would lean toward a dog tag of some type.

Richard

Maybe a token or souvenir from some carnival. Late 1800s early 1900s guessing from the corrosion.

There seem to be letters on the ends of the crossed battons. Certainly an S on the upper left.

Kerry Klub Karnival?

Something like that.

If you use a strong beam of light obliquely across it you might enhance the characters.

HH

Well, the symbols are a trident or pitchfork, and what looks to be a branding iron...could this have been a horse or cow tag of some type, maybe even sheep or swine tag???

HH,

GoGoGopher

Looks to be from the end on a key chain or fob. The KKK is probably Ku Klux Klan. There were a lot of Klan from the early 1900s to the 1950s. Hope this helps.

The attachment area is not strong enough for an animal tag. Us humans on the other hand don't try and tear tags off.

I think it is just a charm or souvenir item.

The jokers/jesters hat is the only thing I can identify with certainty. That probably moves it away from being a KKK klan item.

HH

Some local KKK in MS and Alabama had tokens, or some kind of symbol, to identify themselves to other members. The one in the photo, if it shows, was found by a friend when we were detecting around an old abandoned church in west Alabama a few years ago. Yours looks to be a something similar, possibly also for ID purposes, for a local KKK group. In the late 1800's and early 1900's pitchforks were used by the KKK in some places in the south as part of their "uniform" and as a scare tatic, and also for more sinister purposes. The other thing looks like a branding iron, the KKK also used those, at least in the deep south, to brand some blacks and also some who they considered to be sympathetic toward blacks. If that's a V in the center it would represent victory. It doesn't look a lot like a V but it has some significance. Your find may not be KKK related, but based on the KKK, pitchfork and branding iron, if that's what it represents, I would almost bet it is.
addon.php

Maybe a Wannabe KKK clan of local dip#$#@s who got together to talk trash about blacks????

HH,

GoGoGopher

The KKK tokens I have seen on the net are well made, clearly marked and are made from thick metal with clear big markings. This object looks like tourist junk not a declaration of membership in a klan.

The joker/jester face with hat doesn't fit with the image of KKK like a burning cross or a hooded horseman would.

HH