Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

need help on a token?

Chris1

Found a token today with an indian on the front and dated 1863, on the back it says Collins bro's, drugists, parris ILL. Any help would be great. I also found a nice 1853 half dime.

Hi Chris; it was common during the CW years for merchants to restamp the back of an IH penny with their name. Sutlers would do this and usually have the Regiment they were attached to embossed along with their name. Yours would fall under medicine/pharmacy and is one I'm unfamiliar with, but a good find as it crosses the civil war/drug store collectables. I'm sure someone can ID this for you, or you may find it listed on the Internet. Do a search for civil war tokens. Good hunting, David @ Dixie

Hey Chris1-

Nice finds. Your token is a Civil War token and it is a storecard (advertises a business). The other group of Civil War tokens are known as "patriotics". At any rate, your token is listed in the text "US Civil War Store Cards" by George & Melvin Fuld (1975) as being from Paris Illinois and is either a rarity R5 (between 75 and 100 known) or an R7 (between 10 -20 known). There are two varieties with an Indian Head dated 1863. Neat! Happy hunting!