Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help on GMZ.........

Ivan

I have the chance to get a Whites GMZ detector at an awesome price. I know it is a gold detector...as in prospecting........but has anyone ever used one to find gold..as in jewelry on dry sand beaches??? Someone told me that there was a guy using one on either Washington or Oregon beaches.Would it be effective in such a use? Anyone own one of these and can put out a few tips on it's operation? Thanx.

Hello Ivan,

I have a GMT, which I bought for trips to nugget country. It's basically a more feature laden version of the GMZ, which is a very basic, yet very functional nugget detector. I believe both operate at a very high 48 KHZ.

Since both were designed specifically for hunting very small (sub-gram, down to a few grains) sized natural gold, their use as you describe isn't a good fit, IMO.

When I first purchased my GMT, I went to the Lake Michigan shore (freshwater), and practiced with tiny lead birdshot glued to poker chips in and around magnetite deposits at various depths. The magnetite would mimic ground conditions encountered in real world nugget hunting ares.

When that was done, for the heck of it, I worked the sand a bit, using the standard 6"x9" DD coil. It is essentially a VERY sensative all metal detector that will find tiny pieces of any metal at modest depths. To use it in wet salt sand would be impossible. I am guessing even in dry salt saturated sand it could prove difficult due to it's high frequency. The higher the frequency the more it will respond to mineralization. To attain any decent depths, a larger coil would be necessary, which would compound the sensitivity to mineralization.

Bottom line, I wouldn't buy a GMZ for the purpose of dry saltsand hunting. If I bought one primarily for nugget hunting as the fellow you mention in Washington/Oregon probably did, as that is gold country, it COULD be used on the beach, but, most certainly WOULDN"T be the best option. A general purpose 7-19 KHZ detector would give you much better results for jewelry sized objects IMO.