Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help - thin pieces of aluminum sound too coinlike

OldNorthwest

Hello everybody,

I've had the Deus for a few months. Whenever I use it, I get tons of deep coinish signals (70s and 80s) that turn out to be pieces of foil or aluminum. If I turn 90 degrees their numbers seem to drop by about 10-20, but they sound good enough that they are a major distraction (since trash like this is everywhere). Does anyone have any advice on how to eliminate this or better deal with this?

My current settings are: Reactivity 2, Frequency 12 khz, Sens 90, Iron Vol. 0, full tones. I've attached a picture of some of the crap I dug today.

Thank you all for your help,

Drew

Drew,

Try a similar 4 khz program it is much less sensitive to aluminum like this and should hit very close to the same depth as the 12 khz program if in Reactivity 2. If you insist on using 12khz I would back off Sens to 80-85, turn TX to 1, and run manual ground balance depending on your soil. I usually get GB readings (upper right number) from 80-85 so mine stays at 85. Running a couple points higher if you still get the pesky aluminum won't hurt either.

But I would start at 4khz and see what happens from there!

No matter what rig, it takes some coil time...My humble advice is to come up with a very fast retrieval method and just punch through popping all targets until you get the feel..the more targets you pop daily, the shorter the overall learning curve..:shrug: It takes a while until your ears adjust to the subtle tones, their make up and depth.....then, its easy!:thumbup:
Mud
(I still get fooled, but at least I know in a danged hurry!):rofl: Exception being the multidenom stacks and masked spills, lots of them out there! A guy has to have a go at any and all viable 'half signals'....get fast on retrieval and it is not so painful....a guy cant miss a Seated Q with a Shield nickel on top!
Mud

If i had a signal like that not only with the Deus that would be be dug up,in the UK foil and aluminium come in exactly the same as our silver hammered coins do,so to be on the safe side i personally dig every signal like that for that reason.

If you start to use discrimination,notching or any other method that detectors can offer you stand to loose some decent finds as well,i cannot comment about what your coinage comes in regarding foil but for me it all has to come out,of course iron can give you a good indication on what it is so you would tend to walk by,but also a large piece of iron can and will fool most detectors as that is just the way it is.

After all they are metal detectors doing what they are design for,the more you start using higher discrimination setting on any detector you then start reducing your good finds rate as well.

Its situation like this that some detector makes/models excel better than other also if a location is very trashy a smaller coil can help alot,as they say no one detector does it all well,this why i have a few that excel in specific location,on say a roman site which can have alot of trash albeit no foil was around then but these types of sites can be a nightmare with even a stock coil,but you put a small coil on then the site becomes far better to detect.

The Deus currently only has the 9'' coil as the smallest,so this is why i use another brand Tes*** which allows me to use a smaller coil and will in most cases get around the problem or certainly help in situation like this.

The foil like shown in the pics--layered, balled up, smashed.
Will generally yield a high conductor reading on most VLF machines--minelabs seem to do better imo

This just comes with the territory. But there is a bright side to this. Think about it. If there were never any pull tabs or foil ever introduced, IMO a lot of good finds would have already been dug---HENCE be nonexistent.

CZconnoisseur, I'll try playing around with those settings, thank you for the tips. You all have good points - I need to learn the detector better by getting out with it more. Part of my problem too is that I just moved several months ago - so I don't really know any places where the Deus would excel yet. I just need to get out more and detect - who needs work, right? :laugh:

Thanks everybody for the advice!

I dig all those signals. Take the good with the bad. To much DISC you will miss targets. No perfect machine out there yet! The Deus is close though!

To much Disc at 90 I see I don't own unit.
Just reviewing and reading about XP Deus.
Seems like your just shooting for Silver and gold coins.
Maybe change your kHz or mode.
The manual pdf is really good and some great videos youtube.

I dig all those signals as well. I will take the junk and hopefully it will lead to my first cool find.

The higher the frequency the better the alumunim will hit. If you are coin hunting, try dropping to 8 kHz. People that run at 18 kHz will find slivers of aluminum so small they are hard to find with a pinpointer.

a problem thats waits to be cracked