Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help to identify this ring

Ronstar

Can anybody shed any light on this MD find? A good friend was running his older Tesoro around the oldest and still active grade school here (this was a few years ago). He took a recent photo with and older cell phone so hard to blow up and identify. He said it was a few inches deep and sounded high so he dug. Most likely a childs ring as it barely slips on his pinky finger. From the photo I cannot detect rust or deterioration in the photo for something that could have been in the ground for sometime. He can’t find any hallmarks but looks silver. I have not seen this in person but its kinda cool.

Attachments

• 8FDC828B-D77E-4B19-9F9F-2AE3441F9849.jpeg
    8FDC828B-D77E-4B19-9F9F-2AE3441F9849.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 283
My thoughts at first glance were possibly a ring of one of the 50's era radio cowboys. There were several, like Tom Mix, The Long Ranger, Lash Larroue, (sp) Whip Wilson, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry, to name some. Some cowboy rings you could order by mail and others came in cereal boxes. None, though, were silver. Your friends ring may also have been associated with rodeo riders. Pretty neat find, whatever it is associated with, if anything. Good luck with your quest. HH jim tn

I 100% agree with that assessment jim. But for the life of me I cant think of anything that would have come along thru Cracker Jacks / cereals / or mail order that would still be that shiny and intact after arguably 50 or so years in the ground (plus or minus). Not pot metal, not coated plastic, ???? Maybe aliens....... lol

I agree. If it is in fact silver and worn by a child, probably young boy, it was probably a gift to them. It looks like a bucking bronco, so probably not associated with a radio cowboy, either.

If your friend hasn't, get it tested some how and also use a magnifying loop/glass for any marks. If enough wear, marks are hard to read and find, if even, at all. Often times, all it take for finding out about the item is the description of what it is and one mark of some kind. In fact, I went to a horse event field tonight after dinner for a quick clad hunt and found a horse broach/pin. The 925 mark jumped right out, but the makers mark was very weak. Using my 10x loop I was pretty sure the first letter was a B, but the second could have been a M, maybe a V or even a W. I hit the jackpot with the pins description, 925 and b w. (Belinda Wood, designer) Anyway, hopefully someone will come along that can i d it. HH jim tn

Can anybody shed any light on this MD find? A good friend was running his older Tesoro around the oldest and still active grade school here (this was a few years ago). He took a recent photo with and older cell phone so hard to blow up and identify. He said it was a few inches deep and sounded high so he dug. Most likely a childs ring as it barely slips on his pinky finger. From the photo I cannot detect rust or deterioration in the photo for something that could have been in the ground for sometime. He can’t find any hallmarks but looks silver. I have not seen this in person but its kinda cool.
Nice ring--Good luck in finding out all about it--Maybe a Treasure display Catalog concerning Cowboy rings might help? Ma Betty

Spoke with him last night. Ring is heavy for its size and no hallmarks that he can find. If I can connect with him I’m going to inspect using a second pair eyes. If I remember, there was an author in West & East Treasures magazine that answers write in Qs so we might go that route. Don’t you just hate it when the needle in the haystack finds you first? Lol

Can he get a local jewelry shop to check to see if it is silver. I have taken a number of items to a local shop and have never been told to hit the road. Always have been very helpful.