Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help with deciding next coil to buy

Hi you all,
For the past few months I have been trying to decide which coil for my x-terra 70 I should buy next. I prefer to hunt older coins, specifically silver coins. I will be hunting in trashy areas, old homestead sites, and/or plowed fields with little trash. I am trying to decide whether to purchase the 9" concentric 3 kHz or the 6" concentric 7.5 kHz. I understand that the 6" coil will be much better in trashy areas but I am wondering if I would be missing silver coins which could be found with the 9" 3kHz coil? Also, I understand that the 3kHz coil is better for more conductive metals such as copper and silver. Any idea how the 3kHz is on iron nails or aluminum pull tabs? Sooner or later I am sure I will end with both coils. I really appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Swayne

I would suggest that if you are considering the small 6-inch coil, you consider the DD instead of the concentric. I hunt areas similar to yours and use both the 9-inch concentric at 3 kHz as well as the 6-inch DD at 18.75 kHz. I use the larger 3 kHz for areas that are not to trashy. (no more than 3 or 4 targets per sweep) And I use the 6-inch DD in those trashy areas (5 or more targets per sweep) where I need better target separation than the 9-inch concentric will provide. All three frequencies will detect all forms of metal. But on lower conductive targets, I hear a very distinct sound using the 3 kHz compared to the higher frequencies. By hunting in all metal with multiple tones, my ears become the discriminator I need to decipher different targets. There are lots of posts concerning the use of the 3 kHz coil. You can use the search function to find those that may interest you. HH Randy

Thank you for your reply,
Do you think there is a big depth difference when looking for silver quarters with a 6" DD coil versus a 9" concentric 3 kHz. I am new to detecting and I am trying to get my brain around all the technical aspects of coil and frequency sizes.

I really appreciate your input!

Thanks!
Swayne

I hunt fields all the time and I have never been to one yet that didn't have a ton or trash and iron. If they tore the house down and drug it around for years with the plow how could it not be trashy?

I use the 6" 7.5khz in fields with good sucess, in fields that are plowed yearly coins are rarely more than 3-4" deep. It should be more than sufficient. I have a 9" 3KHZ coil coming, I am hoping it will seek a bit deeper for silver

Thanks for your input,
Do you reckon there is a big difference between the 6" concentric and 6" DD as far as coverage is concerned? From diagrams I see that the 6" DD has a blade like "detection" down the middle where as the concentric has a circular "detection" concentrated towards the center. So in my way of thinking both 6" coils should work very well in trashy soils. However the way the coil diagrams are drawn it looks like the DD goes deeper while the concentric looses depth at the cone like center. I wonder if I am interpreting the diagrams that illustrate the difference in detection patterns between DD and concentric coils?

Thanks!
Swayne

you are correct. I think the DD 6" is better at trash separation, unfortunately when I ordered my x-70 a year ago I odered the wrong 6" coil and got the concentric coil, that is ok, it does a good job at trashy sites and has helped me snag quite a bit of goodies where the stock coil was just too big.

As mentioned before, I too feel that the 3KHz offers a different type of sound on iron and pulltabs. Can't explain it but, with use your ears will become trained to what I'm trying to say. My 3KHz stays on 99% of the time.

Thank you,
Your posts have made me intrigued about the 3 KHz. I guess it would be nice to have the 3KHz coil in my quiver along with the 6" DD.

Thanks!

In an area without adjacent targets to be a "distraction", my 9-inch concentric at 3 kHz will detect a silver quarter at least half again deeper than the 6-inch DD at 18.75 kHz. As an example, 8 inches with the 6-inch DD at 18.75 kHz, compared to 12 inches with the 9-inch concentric at 3 kHz. JMHO HH Randy

Yes that's some good info Randy(Digger)!! The 5x10" HF DD will also have good target separation(5 or more targets per sweep) almost like the 6" HF DD I think.

I suppose the 5x10" HF DD has a little more depth on a silver quarter than the 6" HF DD.

Maybe if the 6" HF DD is 8 inches, the 9" LF Concentric is 12 inches, then the 5x10" HF DD could be about 10 inches(somewhere in between) as a presumption as I have not tested it.

I learned something there for sure. Swayne, yes get the 6" HF DD and the 9" LF Concentric for sure if you can afford it, but also look at the 10.5" MF DD as well as alot people use it also.

I do not want to get you confused either Swayne, but just want to weigh everything and all possibilities completely out.

Thanks David,
Yes, I was originally leaning towards the 6"DD however I do have the 5 X 10" DD already. So I was originally thinking that there can't be too much difference between both coils as far as target separation is concerned. However, doing the math I assume that there is 40% difference in coverage. So I guess that could be considered very significant.

I have been using my x-terra for about a month so far and have found 72 coins. All are clad except one 1928 buffalo nickel. All coins that I have found were less than 3" in depth using my stock or my 5 X10" DD coil. At times I wonder if I am missing coins that are deeper. Could be that I am seeing a lot of iron masking or of coarse, there may not be in older coins deeper where I have been hunting. This was one of the reasons why I was interested in the 3KHz coil. However there sure are a lot of old nails in my area.

Thanks for your input!
Swayne

:minelab:Hey Swayne,

The only coils I have presently are the 9" concentric 7.5khz an the 5" x 10" DD 18.75khz. I have ordered the 9" concentric 3khz and waiting for it to arrive. This morning I was hunting in a local park with the 7.5 khz coil and got a weak signal (36 on the meter) and this puppy sounded off on a dine nearly 8" deep! The only place I use the 18.75 khz DD is on the beach looking for gold. Hope this helps.

:minelab:SeniorSeeker/MichiganUSA
Once You God Minelab ~ You Don't Go Back ~ Go Minelab!