Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Help with F-2

Sod

When swinging the F-2 I hit a target then a false signal about a foot away. This is happening on both side of the swing.
The cable is snug against the shaft and jam nut is tight. Two sets of new battery's have been tried..
Only iron is being dis out. Tried sensitivity level from low to high doesn't seem to effect the falsing. nor does swing speed.
No cell service within three miles. No overhead or underground power lines.
Soil type is Sandy to black.
This happens with 4", 8" 11" coil, 8" being the worse.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sod.

Have you hunted in one site only?
How many hunts?

Big iron can false from a foot away, even if you disc it out.
If this happens on every swing all the time everywhere there is something wrong.

Try a reset...the factory swears there is none on the F2 but so many have done this and after it seemed to have straightened out many problems.
Power up the unit but do not take your finger off the power button as it starts up.
Leave it pressed down for about 10 seconds.
Nothing will sound off or show on the screen that anything has happened but like I said it still seems to help.

If you are having these problems and only tried hunting one site I would try another one if I were you.
You could be in some weird area.

One silly thing, I was actually guilty of this so it can happen but after it acted wonky I checked the manual and never did it again.
(Manual?.....I don't need to read any stinking manual!)

Make sure you have the batteries in correctly.
When looking at the screen and inserting batteries in the back both must have the + sign on the right.

I've hunted three different sites on numerous occasions.
The factory reset I learned from you on one of your previous posts. I also reset when I swap out coils just to be on the safe side.
My eyes aren't as good as they use to be so I put a dab of red paint on the positive side of the battery terminal.
When I hit big iron it will definitely raise your eyebrow. I'm still pulling targets, it just takes longer when checking out the false.
This doesn't happen on every swing but more than not.

Thank you REVIER

I live on the shores of Lake Erie, which has too much black sand which is usually invisible.

My F2 would beep at the end of each swing. Drove me crazy. I later bought an F70 and the beeping stopped. I decided the beeping was caused by fixed ground balance of the F2 and the black sand. Once I understood that, I could live with the F2 doing that since I knew what it was telling me. I may use my F70 for going really deep and being versatile, but part of me still loves the simplicity and power of my F2. It is going to give me some beeps at the ends of the swing in black sand and I can live with that. Your soil may be doing the same thing.

You may be experiencing that. If so, understand it, smile and enjoy your F2, it is an great and fun detector.

Thanks for the reply fjs440 I hope its warming up for you up there.
One of the places I hunt is a sports complex with a lot of sand and stone fill where the F-2 gives the double false.
I've already learned to live with it, I've waiting all winter to get out and plan on swinging as long as the weather allows.
I've been looking at the Safari as a upgrade just haven't pulled the trigger yet but the F-2 will be put on standby. Thanks.
Sod.

Hi to all, newbie here. Trying to gain as much info as possible on my "new", hobby. Just wanna say I am a senior citizen and this hobby gets me out and going, luving it. I have a fisher F2 and looking to upgrade. Wondering which is better a Whites classic ID (used) or a Bounty Hunter Timeranger (new). Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Grams said:
Hi to all, newbie here. Trying to gain as much info as possible on my "new", hobby. Just wanna say I am a senior citizen and this hobby gets me out and going, luving it. I have a fisher F2 and looking to upgrade. Wondering which is better a Whites classic ID (used) or a Bounty Hunter Timeranger (new). Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

The Timeranger, according to most owners reviews I have seen, seems to be a much slower unit in the recovery area compared to some other BH units and definitely compared to the F2 which is very fast.
NOT an upgrade compared to the F2 in my mind.

The Land Ranger Pro would be a better choice if you can get it for under $300 which seems to be doable, all the features of the F2 with some upgrades like a ground balance feature and supposedly pretty fast which would be an upgrade.
If you like Fisher's like I do the Fisher F22 would be a sideways move, the F44 would be an upgrade as will other Fishers like the F5 or F70 which can be found at some pretty great prices used if you look around and are quick because these higher end feature rich units move fast when they become available.
The F4 is just an F2 with a different DD coil and it does have manual GB but only in all metal.
If you hunt in disc this is not going to be an upgrade IMO.

The Classic ID Whites is a whole different ball game but it does have some upgraded features.
Have you picked up one of these "lunchbox" type of detectors before?
The weight is different than your F2, ergonomics and balance is too and some have no issues with this difference at all...but some do.

fjs440 said:
I live on the shores of Lake Erie, which has too much black sand which is usually invisible.

My F2 would beep at the end of each swing. Drove me crazy. I later bought an F70 and the beeping stopped. I decided the beeping was caused by fixed ground balance of the F2 and the black sand. Once I understood that, I could live with the F2 doing that since I knew what it was telling me. I may use my F70 for going really deep and being versatile, but part of me still loves the simplicity and power of my F2. It is going to give me some beeps at the ends of the swing in black sand and I can live with that. Your soil may be doing the same thing.

You may be experiencing that. If so, understand it, smile and enjoy your F2, it is an great and fun detector.

That's very interesting. My first unit was a Bounty Hunter 2100 and as much as I liked its simplicity, the falsing at the ends of each swing was driving me crazy. It didn't do it all the time but enough for me to want to make a change. Never thought it could be caused by a fixed ground balance. My F5 never does this.

I started with a Pioneer EX which is just a Wallyworld cheaper version of a Quicksilver.
Used it for over 150 hours and it also falsed on just about every swing in my Alabama mineralized dirt.
Hated that thing...definitely NOT the unit you want to use when you are brand new and just starting out.
The silver lining is that it forced me to really listen hard to those tones to identify the good ones from the false and that is a hard earned skill that still has benefits for me today and every time I hunt.

My F2 in that same exact problem soil never had that falsing problem on my swings.

Years later in Kansas with almost perfect soil I saw a guy hunting the same park I was at and he had a Quicksiler.
I had my F2 and he was curious about how the numbers worked so we switched detectors for about a half hour.
That thing worked a million times better there with absolutely no falsing.
Still hate mine Hough.

Reiver, thank you so much for responding. I think I will get a DD coil for my F2 and see how that works for me. Sadly, I had already purchased the Timeranger before seeing your message, same thing with the whites classic ID. Neither has arrived yet, I would like to let you know my out of the box opinion after they arrive. I realize it is going to take some time to really learn, and get the feel of them and what they can do. No, I have never seen or tried a "lunch box" type of detector before , I am hoping it will not be too heavy;:shrug:or hard for me to handle for an extended amount of time. Oh well, the die is cast. I will just have to wait and see. Once again , ty for your help, Grams