Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help with target ID of ...

jerseydigger

a solid 152-153 on my 180 digimeter. Coin very cruddy, trying various cleaning methods, so far nothing to read or see clearly. It's the size of a I.H. or dime, dug in an old township, and was wondering if an I.H. would read that low due to corrosion? Has a green patina, and a rusty reddish base. Any thoughts or help appreciated. A archaeologist friend of mine said without seeing it , it could be a civil war token, or re stamped coin (colonial period ) due to the lack of existing coinage.Thanks!

There are some indians that will read well below zinc pennies and I think down into the tab range. More so if they are crudded up and ate away like it sounds like that coin is. I'm still working on scanning all the various compositions of indians including the fatty into my ID chart and will have that updated to post when I do. Only way to tell is to clean that coin up. One trick is to heat it up with a candle and then throw into cold water. It'll shock a lot of the crud off it. Otherwise in general I do electralysis (sp?) on even my copper coins when they are that bad. Works great for silver, too.

jerseydigger, most of the indians i have found come in around170 to 173 hope this helps.these indians are from around late 1860 to 1880 s

Try wiping some olive oil on it with your finger. It'll really help bring out the details on a coin that you don't think you ever will be able to see things on. For my large cents, indians, and anything else copper or bronze if they are crusty I'll do some electralysis on them but then they get thrown into olive oil to soak for months. It's a slow process but it will improve the coins. If anything a light coating of that stuff right away will keep the coin from continuing to degrade as it's exposed to the air now. Slick them down with olive oil before storing and they will keep much better.

I also read that to keep coins (I read on a roman coin website), one may use minwax as a coating for long term protection. I have coated a roman coin I purchased and cleaned.

see this article: Coin cleaning and preserving