Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

need info on using t2

sonny60

I have received permission to search an old farmhouse yard that has never been searched before. I know there will be the usual electric lines going to the house. I will be using my new t2se and wanted to get ideas on what the best settings would be to use. This past weekend I searched an old chimney site in a woods next to a creek. It was loaded with aluminum cans and other debris from the creek. I only found 2 items and a lot of junk using the stock coil (set at 60-10-3) and the 5 inch coil (90-10-bp). The cross appears to be lead and has several designs on it. Any ideas on id on either item appreciated.

Ive never run a tek machine before but it looks like your on the right track! This works with my machines and from what i've read on here should work for you. now remember i'm still in the research phase of tek machines so i don't know the settings and all but keep that small coil on for those trashy areas not sure on a t2 but with the machines i run in trash swing slow run your disc low as you can stand an listen for the sweet sounds or the better sounds or what ever noise it makes that makes you want to dig! :twodetecting: Don't give up wish i could help with settings but i just don't know keep playing with them find what works for you hopefully someone else can chime in but does the bp mode really help in thick trash and iron? I mean your trying to sort through everything more than getting deep like on an open semi clean field or park. a lot of times in trash you might only get a good repeatable signal from one direction dig it anyways you never know. I'm probably not much help but i was watching and seen everyone else was out swinging and digging and i'm still snowed in so i thought i would try. Keep us posted!

Well its a bit hard to figure out what settings you need help with. The T2 is a simple machine with just discrim, sensitivity and audio mode to set. There isn't anything else to change from site to site. When setting up the discrim mode I usually set the discrim at 5 and the sensitivity at about 80 or higher if it will go higher without having too much chatter. Then I will put it in either 2+ or BP depending on the site and how I feel that day. The BP slows the response down some so if there is a lot of targets close together I use 2+ or all metal if the field doesn't seem to have much in it I use BP. If it does chatter I will raise up the discrim before lowering the sensitivity cause the machine's designer said that was the way to go. Since you can have separate settings for the all metal mode I crank the sensitivity on that all the way up to 99 and there isn't really much else to set there. Then after I have everything set I do a ground balance and off I go. Then I will switch back and forth from discrim to all metal to check targets and how much chatter I can stand. The T2 is a simple machine to operate and doesn't really have different modes for different places. I guess if you don't want to hear nails and iron you could set the discrimination at 35 or something but I never do that. That is pretty much the way I have been setting up my T2 and then T2SE ever since they came out. Don't really change them from site to site.

The worst noise problem I have is with electric fences but I usually just ask the farmer if I can shut off the fence while I am hunting. The cattle aren't smart enough to figure out its off if you shut it off for a bit so they mostly let me shut them off. But you can sometimes get rid of or reduce interference by changing frequencies - theres 7 of them to choose from and one of them usually at least lowers it some and sometimes gets rid of it. I don't seem to have too much trouble with power lines unless they are buried in a spot I am hunting. I have one field that does have a power line buried in it as the power company wouldn't run it above ground and made the farmer pay to have it buried.

Not sure what other info you are looking for in terms of setting it up, there just isn't much to change on a T2. The other thing I would say is that you shouldn't slow down your swing in trash. The T2 is at its best in terms of separation when you swing fast. You might want to shorten up your swing to concentrate on the area where there are adjacent targets but you will lose separation if you swing slow.

Can't tell much about your finds, I don't see any man made markings on the lead and the other thing looks like a rusted up clamp to me. If I had found them I probably would have just chucked them but that is just going by what I can see in your pictures.

whats the advantage to setting the disc. at 5. you don't eliminate all iron until 40 so i wouldn't think 5 would eliminate very much. thanks

The other thing I would say is that you shouldn't slow down your swing in trash. The T2 is at its best in terms of separation when you swing fast. You might want to shorten up your swing to concentrate on the area where there are adjacent targets but you will lose separation if you swing slow.

Thank you for setting him straight on that! like i mentioned it seems to help with my machines but i'm not a tek user! I'm glad you set us both straight always something new to learn! thanks again farmer

I searched the old homesite yesterday I mentioned in my original post. No luck. Had a lot of chatter on the t2. Dug a lot of trash. Several overhead electric lines and underground copper lines also. I used an XLT for several years and have heard a lot of good about the t2se. Wanted to get one last detector to last me a few years. The t2 is intimidating to me because I am 66 and take longer to learn something. Guess I will figure it out someday. I will try using the recommendations you have listed. Thanks for the helphelp. Sonny. P.S. I only found 2 pennies yesterday lol

chuck said:
whats the advantage to setting the disc. at 5. you don't eliminate all iron until 40 so i wouldn't think 5 would eliminate very much. thanks

There is a built in internal boost if the discrim is set to less than 6. If the machine is chirping too much raising the disscrim to 6 can calm it down.

One thing of interest to note is that the discrim on a T2 goes below iron into the mineral range. If I want to quiet the T2 down I will sometimes set the discrim at 15 you still get all of the iron but you loose some sensitivity at that setting. rusty wrought iron like blacksmith made square nails and ox shoes show up at about 19. Modern steel wire nails show up at around 26.

Another thing to keep in mind abut the T2 is that if you are driving it hard then it is sensitive enough that it will sound off on very small bits of metal like nail heads and even large flakes of rust. So it is not really falsing but is going off on tiny hard to find targets. This can be useful though to help find a spot where something was left to fall apart and rot 300 years ago so you know to pay closer attention. You can always tell the difference between a real target and a tiny target by listening to it though.

i'm also 66 and i find the t-2 very easy to use. i don't think i've really tried to figure out all the details about hunting for the old deep coins but when i just want to clad hunt i just set the disc. to 80 and just dig every signal. i set it to 40 for tot lots and some places i try for nickles by setting the tones to 3 and digging the high tone nickle readings. it seems like most of them are still pulltabs. good luck

chuck said:
i'm so 66 and i find the t-2 very easy to use. i don't think i've really tried to figure out all the details about hunting for the old deep coins but when i just want to clad hunt i just set the disc. to 80 and just dig every signal. i set it to 40 for tot lots and some places i try for nickles by setting the tones to 3 and digging the high tone nickle readings. it seems like most of them are still pulltabs. good luck

Are you setting the disc. at 80 or the sens at 80?

disc. at 80 that way just about every signal will be a coin and you don't have to dig the zinc. pennies. of course if its an older place you may want to go lower to get ithe indian heads.