Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

need opinions on water proof detectors please...

ferdware

I have been detecting the beach for a few years. I have been using a Whites V3i. I a very happy with it. But now I want to get deep into the surf. Without having to worry about getting my detector wet. Can I have your opinions on some quality detectors. Along with reasons why.
-Our beaches are highly minaralized.
-lots of iron
-I detect long periods of time
-Discrimination???
-are the headphones water proof?
-a PI detector or not?
-screen or no screen? I'm not sure I've always had one.
I know it's a lot of questions but detecting has become a large part of my life..
Thank you for any help...
Ferd

I would Highly recommend the minelab Excalibur 2 for your situation if you want discrimination which I think I definitely would. It handles mineralization well or at least the mineralization ice encountered and I've hunted beaches from the outer banks of North Carolina to Myrtle beach South Carolina and the gulf coast of Florida. If you want a pi that is simple to use and maintain and will find it all, and I do mean ALL, pick up a Garrett Seahunter Mark II. It's very simple to use but very effective and mineralization won't be an issue. Those are my best recommendations. Good luck.

I looked at water MD's and went with a Tesoro sand shark, For the money i think it's the best value. For water i like a PI machine which the ss is. Yes the headphones are water proof. There is no vd screen on the sand shark or any of the other better machines, White's , Tesoro, and others.I use a different machine for the dry sand with discrimination.There are great topics on this website about water machines. Look them up and good luck.

@ Hunter12 He said his beach is loaded with iron. And needs discrimination. That rules out a PI imo.

@OP Your two most popular options would be cz21 or the excal. I use one of the newer excals and a waterproofed GT.

hh an gl -Joe

hunter12 said:
I looked at water MD's and went with a Tesoro sand shark, For the money i think it's the best value. For water i like a PI machine which the ss is. Yes the headphones are water proof. There is no vd screen on the sand shark or any of the other better machines, White's , Tesoro, and others.I use a different machine for the dry sand with discrimination.There are great topics on this website about water machines. Look them up and good luck.

Hi Ferd,
If you are going wading get a really good sand scoop, it's as important as a good machine. Joe is totally right, a pi machine is not going to be much good in your situation. I love the minelab Excalibur, it's waterproof to hundreds of feet, so no worries in the surf! It is simple to use, and you can learn how to get the best out of them. They are a popular choice, loads f people have them. I bought both mine second hand, no problems :) you can chest mount it but I don't. There is no screen, so it will be weird at first for you, what ever type of detector you buy I'ld advise you to practice locating some targets in the flower beds that you throw in, just to help you get used to locating stuff again without the screen. Try borrowing one if you can, try a few different types out.
I have found lots of gold with my excalibur's, so I recommend them. Someone else would recommend their machine that's found them gold. If you can try a few out that's the best way I recon.
I used to have an amazing motorbike, on paper it out performed the one I got to replace it. It was faster, newer, better suspension, better brakes everything was ment to be better. The replacement bike had bad reviews in loads of magazines, was older and slower. I loved it! It was a joy to ride, it made me take pleasure in the journey rather than racing around like a nutter. The point was, if I listened to everyone I wouldn't hae traded, but because I took it for a ride I saw what it was like. I loved that bike it was cool!

I hope you find the right one for you, post up your finds, let us know how you get on :) good luck

You talking saltwater or freshwater? PI is out of the question with lots of iron. How much iron you talking anyways. I have been in freshwater lakes that the iron was so heavy it was impossible to hunt it with an Excal.

I started hunting with the Minelab Excalibur 800 right after they did away with the Horseshoe type coil and Love it. I have never had any problems with it over the years I have owned it.
If you get a Minelab Excalibur second hand with anything other than a stock coil on it make sure it is hardwired to the machine. Not some flimsey waterproof conecters and a second coil you could switch over too. I have heard too many stories about them leaking.

I use the Xcal as well, but dont rule out the CZ its a capable machine with a little longer warranty, CHEAPER especially since you wont have to do any mods. A PI would just work you to death in those conditions at the oat meal line. The Xcals HATE iron and you never have to open a box to replace the batteries. However, they arent trouble free.... if it can be broken ive done it. The CZ however is built like a tank.

Dew

I would go with the Excal if you are hunting saltwater AND if you have good hearing. The tones can be difficult distinguish if you have poor hearing. Here is an example..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFuQz3UWqbw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are many more examples to be found on the internet. Here is another example that shows more difficult to distinguish tones. Also OBN is running a mod (amplifier) on his excal in ths video. I would love to get that mod done!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FAkFlWXstg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hi everyone,
I really want to thank everyone who posted. All of you have been a great help and very informative. I really appreciate your opinions.I have decided to go with the Excalibur II. I just ordered a used one today from this forum. Now I can't wait to learn the machine and get in the water.
Thanks again.