Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some advice on the Diamond Head Scoop.

plugger

I am about to buy one of these to dig thru the packed sand/cobbles here in So. Calif and I am wondering if I should get the 40" handle or the 48" handle. Right now, I am leaning towards the 48", my thinking is that it will give me more leverage. Any pros or cons? Any advice at all, from people who have used this scoop would be appreciated. Thanks, Plugger

Plugger,
I've got the 40" model and has good leverage for me, I'm 6'1 and it works great. I haven't tried the 48" model but the scoop is heavy at 5 1/2 lbs.
The only drawbacks are: the weight, as I usually carry mine on my shoulder, if you drag it behind you it fills with sand easily and gets heavier, and after heavy use the 2 aluminum rivets on mine worked loose. I think I am going to put in stainless screws in so I can always tighten them up. Otherwise its great! Used it at S. Carlsbad, Cobble City!

HH.......>)))"> surf fisherman

I have the 40 and tried the long one for one hunt and found the extra length to get in the way. It caught under my arm or up too high on arm.
As for leverage what are you doing digging up tree stumps on the north forty?;)

The important thing here you made a good decision on the Diamond Head.:thumbup:

BTW.. I'm 6 feet..

One thing plugger, if you needed to sell that fine scoop the 40 would be the way to go. More sell-able.

As you know i have both the handles, I prefer the 48", not because of the leverage but length, once in a hole the 40" seems short and more so in chest deep water. with the 48" it comes to just under my upper arm and this helps get it out of the suction in a deep sandhole when digging, sometimes the 40 is just a tad short, i'm about 5'8" if its too long at 48" you could trim it off a tad till you get the perfect length, if its too short at 40" you need another one

I agree, longer handle helps in deeper - chest deep water when digging, but the shorter has advantages if your going to be hunting mainly knee to waist deep. I prefer a longer handle myself.

If you ever want to get together for a hunt, let me know. Summertime I prefer my handheld s/s scoop, but all this erosion has taken the sand down to the cobbles in alot of places. I'm working on a eye for the butt end so I can drag it, I am not into carrying it on my shoulder for very long. I only want it for the winter months, then back a smaller and much lighter scoop. I have at least 4 different scoops, been giving some away. I have just finished another hip mount setup for my GT so I can handle the big scoop better. I build alot of my rods and stands during the bad weather and wait for near perfect conditions to go hunting. We are having a pretty good hunting season this winter.

I had the 48" and had to cut it down to size - too hard to keep the point centered over the target.
They had to send me a new interior plug and grip once I chopped it using my power miter saw.
I'm 6' tall Plugger...

Thanks for the input Barry. I ordered the 48" handle, but I am only intending to use this scoop while our beaches are down to the cobbles. After they replentish the sand I'll be back to using a lighter, short-handled scoop that I can hang on my belt.