Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some advice

Had a Vaquero and really liked it, found a lot of coins and CW items with it. Got the itch and sold it and got a different detector with a screen, sold it and going to buy another Tesoro. My question is, I have been thinking about the Tejon, have never used one but sure I could master it, think I should get another Vaquero since I had one and liked it or should I try the Tejon. Would be hunting parks and old homesteads. The soil I hunt is mild mineralization.. What would be the advantages or disadvantages if I got the Tejon. Thanks

That a hard choice to make both are excellence detectors! I was so impressed by the Tejon, I bought a Vaquero. Now when I go out detecting I have trouble choosing which one I'll take:shrug: Usually the Vaqureo wins out, as it is lighter for me to use:rolleyes:

Hi Silver Fox, Ok, I may be stepping in over my head but maybe it will bring in some more comments for you to consider.I thought hard of getting a Vaquero to go along with my Tejon because from what I have read and seen, the Vaq is somewhat better at hitting on Silver than the Tejon which is a real button hog. Yeah, almost like that was the way it was all planned huh, You may possibly see that difference in the two also. Just my thoughts, but I did see my digging buddy dig the deepest silver dime I ever saw dug. Blew me away how hard the Vaq was hitting on that (thin)dime all the way down.I've made some deep digs with my Tejon, but I haven't dug any silver yet to match my buddy's dig. Lol, if I ever buy another detector it will very likely be a Vaq.All this probably didn't help, but maybe so.The T or V question will always be debated,with good cause too,and no real set answer.They each do their particular jobs exceptionally well! Craig probably has the best answer, by having both,That is why so many folks, when they can ,have several different machines for different jobs. HH,Charlie

I have a Vaquero and love it. When I got my detector the Tejon was one of my choices also, but after reading several posts here from users of both detectors, it seemed the Vaquero was more stable and less chattery while hunting. I also liked the fact the V was powered by 1 9v battery instead of
8 AA batteries. I may not get as long of battery life with the 9v, but it is much easier carrying spare 9v batteries. Would I buy a Tejon? I certainly would if the funds were available. I'd love to have a Tejon... I have read too many good things about it to not want one, but for now I'm very happy with my V.
I like the twin disc on the Tejon. I've spent hundreds of hours with a Fisher 1266x and loved the twin disc on it. Whatever detector you finally decide on will serve you very well.......HH

Roger

Thanks guys for your comments. I've made my decision, even though I liked the Vaquero I'm going to go with the Tejon. This way I'll know and Hey who knows if I don't like the Tejon I can always get another Vaquero he he.. Once I get the Tejon and try it out I'll post a message about it.:thumbup:

Be sure to give the machine a chance. I had one a few years ago and didn't really like it and sold it off within a few weeks. I've got another one and while I think its a better machine than the one I had before I swore I would give it a chance this time and I'm liking it better now that I have. Its one of those machines that you have to play with and learn. In my experience, its not as much of a turn on and go machine as the cibola or the Vaquero because its running a little hot to start with.

Thanks Canewrap, I've heard a lot of pros and cons about the Tejon. Got my Tejon coming, (a new toy oh boy). :clapping: I'm going to give it some time to really check it out. The Vaquero worked real good in my soil so I hoping the Tejon will to. Any way when I get it and mess with it some I will post and let everybody know how she's working. PS. Tejon will be here tomorrow:super:

Congrats on the purchase! If you hunt any trashy areas, get a 5.75 inch concentric coil to hunt with. I've worked some incredibly deep nickles out of the ground with the little coil on the Tejon. Tejon is deeper on the mid-conductors than on similar sized high-conductors. Carefully ground balanced, it is deep in most ground conditions I've run across. You have the right thoughts about spending time with it to learn it.
Cheers,
tvr

I got the Vaquero...cheaper, lighter, less batteries and I'm 61. Just love it! I can hunt deep or just cherry pick shallow. But...if I were younger I would've chose the Tejon and a nice shovel for digging. Also, I heard that the Tejon can chatter but if you back off the SENSITIVITY a tad it's supposed to quiet down. Since you're digging CW items you probably made the perfect choice!