Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some advice

mike_pa

Ok guys, my 10 year old daughter has become crazy with rocks in the last two years. She comes home with rocks in her pockets, her book bag, even her lunch box haha. When I ask her y she has them she says they just looked different from the other rocks and are pretty. I have to admit she has found some cool ones. Last summer she found a chunk of flint that looks like it may have been worked by the local Indians. I myself know nothig about rocks or minerals and was wondering if there is any place her and I could go to dig for rocks or semipressious stones? I have no idea how to help her along with this hobby she loves other than buying the junk rock packages from the local hobby stores. Any info would help a lot. Thanks!

I'm not local to you, but I have a couple of general suggestions. (PA is the home of lots of good rx and mineral sites.)

1) take her to a local Gem & Mineral Show. this is by far the best time you can show her. find these on the web or ask at your local rock shops.
2) hunt around for a local rock shop; while most of them survive on jewelry stuff, they usually have some mineral/rock bins with more reasonably priced stuff.
3) check for a local rockhounding club; while they are mostly run for the benefit of adults, taking her on the field trips where you KNOW she will find some good samples will be well worth it.
4) in general stay away from the 'pay to look thru a bucket' and other 'seeded' sites. you will find a bit but nothing good. best to spend your efforts at mines where you can work the tailings or freshly dug stuff.
5) frequent some of the rock sites on the web; there some real good ones out there that will jump at helping a young'un. this one is one I like: http://mcrocks.websitetoolbox.com/
6) make every rock and trip a FUN learning experience. (for you too!) and be safe- lots of snakes and other critters hang out among the best rocks.

That's all ive got off the top of my head. I started out picking up colored pieces of chert in my driveway and made a career in the petroleum industry of my hobby. I didn't start college with any intent to be a geologist, but when I took Geo 101 as an elective, I found it so easy (because I already knew all the minerals) that I stuck with it. Sometimes being lazy pays off.

If her intrest continues, go to crater of diamonds state park in Arkansas. There is a 20 acre diamond field there, one can search for diamonds- they are found there almost every week (most are small, but some in the 10s of carrots). There is an xpert to id the stones there.What u find u keep. It's a muddy field the state disc it to expose more diamonds on a regular basis. There is also a campground there. Do some internet research & get info from the state(ARK). Might be a dandy vacation.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the State Park has the option to keep your find if they deem it noteworthy or some such term. They'll compensate but when do you ever get a fair deal from the federales? The good news is that it is a rare event. Nonetheless, I'd pocket anything nice I found there and ask an expert for ID well away from Ark.

Go to this website... http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/

Policy is you keep what you find regardless of size and value.. Young teen recently found a 1/2 Carat stone... People have found all sizes and colors..

If your in Eastern PA, let me know and I'll pass on some local places to go rockhounding...

Yeah, ed, I know they say that and maybe they've changed their policy since I read that article (in print back in those days), but do you Really trust your government enough to always show them a nice rock you just picked up? I'd still advise keeping my mouth shut on any nice finds. Theres no law or rule that you have to disclose your finds....yet.

It can be used to beautifully polish rocks, also can be used with aquarium gravel & a little dish soap to clean dirty (non valuable) detected clad.

I seem to remember another song....Don't Worry, Be Happy...........

I am probably the happiest person most people ever meet. I have often felt that someone is watching over me because at every important turn in life, everything has gone my way. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. But then again, its maybe Because I am cautious of those that have proven untrustworthy that my life has been as good as it has been.

I also think youre out of line with a personal attack.

Hi Mike, I saw your subject about your daughters interest in rocks, You can Google Rock and gem magazine and find a lot of things for her to look at. also Google 'Pennsylvania Minerals and fossils to see what is available around your area.You cant beat the internet for info. Russ.

Might as well start clearing a section of your garage and yard now.
The dreaded "rockhound" addiction has been known to develop into Geo-mania.
Once past that threshold, it could effect her permanently.
So much as to turn her into, dare I say, a Geologist.

I've seen this before, it happened to my wife when she was twelve and she saw Mt. Saint Hellens erupt.
Now I have rocks from all over the place. In the yard, in the garage, even in the living room!

All kidding aside now. My wife has a B.S. degree in Geology, and a M.S. degree in Geologic Engineering.
Check to see if your state has a Geologic Society branch near you.
Also, a local college or university should have an earth science department that will prolly love to give your daughter any help to foster her interest.

By the way, my wife has had mineral samples she found displayed at university museums and photographed for peer review articles.

And yes, we still come home from trips with a bunch of rocks, ALL the time.

I would suggest these small inexpensive books for your daughter or check them out at your local library (rocks and minerals by H.S. Zim, fossils by(Golden Field Guide Series) [Paperback]
Frank H. T. Rhodes (Author), Paul R. Shaffer (Author), Herbert S. Zim (Author), Raymond Perlman (Illustrator)

These are the best rock and mineral and fossil
handbooks there are. I have used these 2 books frome grade school through high school and college and as a professional geologist for more than 37 years.

My Best
the NJ Geoman

Mike
Welcome to the world of Rock Hounding..
How do you become a rock hound?
1: get a bag of marbles
2: go to a likely collecting area
3: fill your mouth with marbles
4: spit a marble at every pretty rock you see
5: when you've lost all your marbles, you're a rock hound!

I know I'm stepping into the conversation a bit late, but hopefully can add to the conversation.
If your daughter is still interested in rocks, I suggest:

Locate a local club and join. You will learn and if it's a good club, they will offer lapidary classes & have club equipment to use.
Like M.D. there will be mostly older folks, but if you're polite and ask questions, they will welcome you and take you under their wing.

A vibrating tumbler, it will turn out finished stones in days instead of weeks.. can also be used with crushed walnut shells to clean up those coins etc that you've found with your M.D.

If you decide to take the leap and purchase lapidary equipment, seriously consider used equipment. Most is extremely well built and will last for generations with upkeep,
or build you own, parts are available
New diamond stuff is fast cutting, but pricey. The old belt & expanding drum machines work well and can be found reasonably priced new or used.

If you can find them, old copies of Lapidary Journal or Rock & Gems magazines are treasure troves of information.

Books;
Northeast Treasure Hunters Gem & Mineral Guide
Audubon Guide to North American Rocks & Minerals
or
Peterson Guide to Rocks & Minerals

If you can't locate these books locally, you can order them from:
Kingsley North
http://www.kingsleynorth.com/
link is to their web site.
if nothing else, it's a nice site to peruse.

I am a former rock shop owner, still a rock-hound/ lapidary/silversmith...
sixdogs

thanks guys for all the info!! I forgot I put this up and just now seen them all. this morning the little one and I went to our local clubs show and she absolutely had a blast! they had a nice stand set up with a microscope and a few dozen things to look at, I bet we were at that table for an hour while she looked at them and asked all her questions. I had a blast too nothing makes me happier than seeing my little girl being so into something that isn't a computer, cell phone , or tv. tomorrow we are going to the local library to gather some books on collecting and different minerals.

the farm we live on has a few old iron ore pits and ponds, anyone ever found anything around places like this?

thank again!

Where in PA are you located?

I got my first rock collection a little older than your daughter. Ended up collecting the darn things for a long time. Decided to go into geology because of it. Ended up in mining and worked my whole adult life as a mining engineer all over. Still have those darn rocks and many more, all over the place. Even had a girl friend go with me many times. In college we used to get dates and go up into the old mines in CO. Girls loved it. Ok, not smart thing to do but who cared then. Ended up retiring and found a small rock and mineral museum to volunteer at. Ended up being the curator of that for several years until we had to donate the entire collection to a college as we couldn't find a free place for it anymore. The kids coming in were the best ever. Such fascinating little minds and the questions they would ask were great. All this over a darn rock collection. You just never know.

Find a local rock club and start there. Many have kids programs and also arrange for collecting trips. When I collected in NJ my mother or father would drop me off at a quarry in Paterson and leave me there all day and come back for me at sundown. And I was only about 12 when that started. Adults all over the place so they looked after me. Those were to good old days.

It's one of the most fascinating hobbies for kids and adults. Those two books mentioned above are great for her.

John