Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some Excal advice please.

Ron Brown

I get to use my Excal in salt water maybe twice a year and was on vacation in Punta Cana last week. When I hunt the wet sand and shallow salt water using Disc I get a constant tone when holding the detector still and of course the tone varies when I swing it. Now if I submerge the whole unit while detecting underwater in Disc I get variable tones when holding the detector still. So when I swing it underwater it is harder to tell when I go over some targets. To correct this problem I switch to Pinpoint while detecting underwater and get a smooth monotone whether I'm swinging the detector or holding it motionless, making it easier to find targets. My question is should the tones change when the detector is totally submerged while in Disc without swinging. My settings are Disc 1, Sens 11 o'clock, full audio.

When I hunt in freshwater should my Sens be lower for better depth?

P.S.

I recovered 3 gold rings and 5 silver ones plus some coins during my holidays, so I love my Excal. HH

Hmmm, well I think we can settle things down a bit Ron. By the results, perhaps you should not be too concerned though, LOL! In Disc, set volume wide open, and I like the Disc 1 setting too. The unit will set to the tone of the last encountered target. You may be set just a touch high at 11 on Sensitivity, and may need to back that down to 12 or maybe even 1. You also may have the Threshold up too high, as the tone in your ear (if too loud) can distract you from hearing something faint, savvy? Back Threshold down to just a whisper of sound. Be sure to be aware of the tone of the Threshold though. If the unit goes into the extremely strained high tone and is kinda uneven, then you are set too high on Sensitivity, swinging too fast or the unit is not dealing well with the ground. This all works about the same in Pinpoint, sometimes that mode can be advantageous too. You will need to experiment using both modes to see which one is the better performer. You may be able to find a target rich area and grid it thoroughly in Disc, then go over it in Pinpoint and see what you missed. If the area is too full of ferrous iron, then it may not be an effective mode of operation, savvy? Best of luck out there mate!

Ron,

I have a water proof Sovereign GT I use in the water as well as a Excal. I use no discrimination myself, and on sensitivity I adjust it till unit becomes stable in the water, then I bump it up just a hair. Like Gulf said move it down a little till it is stable. It will always depend on the conditions, so you can't ever say "always set it to ---" . I set mine to where it is stable then bump it up just a hair which varies between 10 and 2 usually. I have hunted close to auto and also close to 3, it just depends on the amount of black sand, wave action and mineralization.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.............