Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some help from Infinium Gurus

ScottTX

I just received an Infinium that I plan on using as my backup at the upcoming DIV in case of weather.

I unpacked the detector and was going to mount the control box under the shaft in the cuff area to balance the weight of the coil. The brackets, that I received with the unit, are extremely cheap, painted white and will not properly hook the side of the control unit. The u-shaped channel is not wide enough. I got them on but they in no way appear to be something that should be part of a $1k machine. Connecting with the supplied nylon screws was extremely difficult and they do not fasten securely.

I looked over the video and the brackets seem to be made of aluminum and fit perfectly to the shaft. The brackets supplied with this unit do not match the aluminum brackets in the video.

Look at the picture below and tell me if these look like the one any Infinium owner has received with their machine.

There is a Left and Right bracket, place them next to one another on a table and see the difference.
They can only fit one way.

Mine don't fit perfectly either, and they're the aluminium type. Mine are too wide for the shaft so I put masking tape on the inside of the screws to hold them in place. One of the brackets was difficult to slip into the controll box as well as other things.

I'm guessing you already thecked that you put the left and right brackets on their respective sides (whichever fits best!) and still no good. Was your's second hand?

You get these problems with all sorts of detectors. I've had a few, and they all seem to have at least one annoying thing about their assembly.

The brackets are stamped Left And Right on the inside between the mounting holes and yes they are difficult to tighten .
I think Blind Freddy could have designed better fitting brackets than what Garrett supply
Check that you have not got two left or right brackets.

Thanks all,

ivanll triggered a 'go take a look and see what he's talking about' moment. :surprised:

I had noticed the brackets could only fit one way and I had them on the correct side. Here's the look and see part, I took the thing back off the shaft. Turning the control housing over I noticed that there is a little partition in the channel on the side of the control housing. The brackets (and I still don't think they look good, they should look like the cuff material) have to be ahead of that little partition in the channel. Looking at the picture I posted (in my original message) you'll notice that the left bracket (on the bottom of the picture) is farther from the end of the control housing then the other (right/top side). This is caused by it not being seated in the channel (it's actually sitting on top of the little partition) thus keeping it away from the control housing.

So, with disassembly and making sure that the brackets were in the channel, ahead of the little partition, results in the attached pic. :clapping:

So. again thanks, you made me re-examine my work, finding the problem I created. :rolleyes:

But, I still don't like the cheap look of the brackets.:thumbdown:

Yeh I had that problem with my Sea Hunter when I first got it too. I adjusted it like you did and it fit well. About the white color, man that is weird and doesnt look good compared to the aluminum look. Are you sure the brackets dont have plastic protection wrap that can be peeled off on them? If not call Garrett and ask about it. Ive never seen that before, but I have seen the plastic protection wrap on them before that can be peeled off. Let us know. Great machine for CW Relics!

Alan

I seem to recall that these aluminum brackets are shipped with a protective white plastic film coating that must be pealed off.

Before you go trying to peel off a coating that is meant to be permanent lets find out for sure from someone that might know.

Regards,

CJ

Boy, what ya can learn when you ask.

Correctamundo! The ugly white is a peel-able plastic cover that hides some really nice aluminum, albeit is shiny, brackets. :surprised: No more complaints.

Check it out!

IDig said:
Long straight shaft? Where would such a shaft be found?

Well, you can spend $149.99 plus$12.95 shipping(in U.S.) for an Anderson straight shaft from KellCo
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/anderson_shafts.htm

Or, you can buy a straight shaft modification kit from Reid Bridges for $65. reid_man@cox.net or homecomputers@cox.net 757-723-6220

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgO4CZz7Itg&feature=player_embedded

Reid Bridges also makes and sells a headphone adapter for the Infinium LS so you can use other brands of headphones. I think it's like thirty somethin' bucks. I have one and it works great.

I just use the stock shaft and hip mount.

Best of luck to ya!:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

Glad to see you got it working!

When I purchased my Infinium (new) Garrett had accidentally sent me the brackets for the Sea Hunter.
They look the same but are actually slightly different too! This made me bonkers and it took a while before I realized that no way in hell would they fit correctly.

Garrett sent me the Infinium brackets and YES they're a pain to install!

However, once you get them aligned correctly into the bracket slides on each side they do hold tight!

Thanks!:garrett::thumbup:

IDig.

Glad you got the brackets seated correctly, it looks neat now.

The brackets are likely to be made from a good grade stainless steel, often indicated by one side being shiny and the other dull.
The dull side will be the one with the protective white plastic cover which serves a number of purposes.
One is to protect the dull surface, more important it's a visual indicator to show which side is up when the large sheet is fed trough the cutting and
bending processes and if laser guides is used the white surface is easier to work with.

The dull surface is most often used as an outer surface to enhance the appearance by minimising unsightly finger prints and smear marks.

Hopefully the brackets looks less cheap now.

ivanll

Reid man has a nice shaft ,at a good price, I purchase one from him, off ebay. Good luck:thumbup:

Oh yeh love it when the good ole Garrett boys send a helpin hand! Looks good. Go find some kool relics.

Alan

P.S. Can you give a comparitive test beween the TDI and the Infinium? Like on small pieces of lead pellets which are .5 gram. Just to test it on gold nugget type targets, unless you got some small nuggets. Curious how sensitive that TDI is compared to the Infinium. Thanks

Alas, Reidman no longer has any replacement shafts and he says that he is no longer going to produce them.

Hey...that's me! Seriously, I have both Reid's shaft and headphone adapter...A+ quality and worth it.

Greg

OK...now that you've got the brackets taken care of...you mentioned that it was your backup detector for DIV...what's your primary? Did I miss that somewhere? Too bad Reid's not make the shafts anymore...high quality option to the Anderson...however, the straight shaft over the S shaft is definately the way to go.

Greg

scdigger said:
Hey...that's me! Seriously, I have both Reid's shaft and headphone adapter...A+ quality and worth it.

Greg

Hey buddy!:wave: I really enjoy your Saving History Series on youtube. Thanks for sharing. I recommend it to everyone.:detecting:

That's too bad that guy quit makin' the straight shaft mod kits. I think CJ has instructions as to how he made his straight shaft over on the mods forum. Somebody from OZ, too, I think. Sorry, I can't remember.

Happy Hunting!:)

I like the S shaft myself.