Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some help with a couple of items

AK in KY

I found what I think is a Civil War plate or belt buckle with the letters K.S.G. on the front inside the typical oval.
The other item is a coin or token about the size of a silver dollar. The front has a raised face of a man that would remind you of Ceasar.( no hat but has a head band made of leaves)
At the bottom it says in very small print ANDRIEU.F On the reverse it has a strange5 pointed star and in the center is an eagle with the words HONNEUR ET PATRIE surrounding the eagle. Around the outside edge are the words AUSPICE NEAPOLEONE GALLIA RENOVATA. There is no date. It is in exellent condition. Found both items at a house built in 1810. Thanks for any help. I live in north central Kentucky.

AK in KY

The Legion d'Honneur - France's highest decoration - created by Napoleon Bonaparte in May 1802 and first bestowed on July 15, 1804 - awarded for gallantry in military action or twenty years distinguished service in military or civilian life for work that enhances the reputation of France through scholarship, arts, sciences, politics, sport, etc.
Head of Napoleon is on the front. The back is inscribed with the motto 'Honneur et Patrie (honour and fatherland) Auspice Neapoleone Gallia Renovata'
The award consists of five classes. In descending order of distinction:
1. Grand Cross;
2. Grand Officer;
3. Commander;
4. Officer;
5. Chevalier (Knight)

Thanks Bill. Is there a website I could go to to see the medal?
Do you know when they stopped issuing these?

AK in KY

Hi there AK;

Here is a link with info to the medal you found. I think you'll find it interesting. Great find. HH Jim R.
www.jssgallery.org/Essay/The_Legion_dHonneur/The_Legion_d'Honneur.htm

Hello ,

It is a legion d honneur medal(like a medal of Honor) , all of them like coins etc...are designed bymade by les" Monnaies de Paris" http://www.monnaiedeparis.com/collectionneurs/med.htm , the site is also in English but if you want more infos and find other sites or ask a question to somebody else with no english just send me your question and I will translate it for you (I am French). Good Luck.

Andrieu is the engraver check this site : http://fortiter.napoleonicmedals.org/medals/history/2nd_aust.htm
But I am sure that if you send the picture to the Monnaie de Paris will tell you exactly what it is and in the meantime you may find something there http://fortiter.napoleonicmedals.org/medals/history/index.html

PR - I spoke with the land owner where I found the medal and he told me the people who built the house in 1810 came to Kentucky from France. There name was Foree. So I guess the medal had to have come from France sometime before 1810. Thanks

AK in KY

Peter Foree is the one who built the house. He came to Virginia from France then moved to Kentucky. The property was originaly part of a land grant from the Gov. of Virginia.

AK in KY