Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some help with this one

usmc0351

went out today, dug a few bullets and buttons, deciced to go a hunt a few old home places in holly springs, ms, got to the first house,,,lady said have at it, changed out my 10 inch coil for the 6 six and discovered my bolt was too short,,,,whats the deal with this,,,do you need to order a longer bolt for the six coil,,,i gues you do,,,just checked a few places on line and none say you need a longer bolt when ordering the 6 inch coil,,,it was a complete let down this afternoon,,,,does anyone know the deal with this?

Well I noticed when I got my 6" HF coil a few week ago the bolt was 2" long, The stock 9" MF coil bolt is 1 1/2" long the ears on the 6" HF coil are thicker I called Minelab last week and they told me they have been having problems with the ears breaking on the 9" MF coils so I think they are making changes, I try to keep the bolts & coils together! You can find them on Ebay every so often

I have to use a longer bolt with mine. Never thought of toilet bolts , I will have to try that .

Ditto the toilet seat bolts! They work quite well. Also, can't remember if I saw it on this forum or another, but the thin tabs on the coils sometimes break because there is too much gap between them and the mounting shaft. When you tighten the bolt, it pulls the ears inwards, weakening them and eventually breaking them. So, while you're picking up your toilet seat bolts, you can buy some really thin plastic washers that you can insert between the ear and coil mounting tab and firm that right up! Just be sure not to go too far the OTHER direction..

I'm thinking of buying an extra lower rod or two and keeping the most frequently used coils mounted and ready. Seems like a lot less hassle! The exception to that of course is if you're backpacking and space and weight are at a premium.

I go to Home Depot and/or Lowes and buy 1/4 inch x 20 x 2 inch (long) nylon bolts. Two for under a dollar. They also have nuts and wing nuts 1/4 inch x 20 for less than a dollar for 2. They are not black in color,but they work fine on my coils. You can also buy 1/4 inch washers and 5/16 inch washer there.

Unless you want to drill the coil and rod to 3/8", just get the right size nylon bolt and wing nut. Whites is the only one that uses 3/8" bolts, the toilet seat bolts are 3/8 and I would not take the chance of drilling my coil out!!!!!:shrug:

hogedog said:
I just used plastic toilet seat bolts for mine.

JFK