Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Some Simple Answers

jcamaro

I have the SE Pro and like in but lost interest. Now I am getting back into it and need some answers.
1st. What does Iron Mask really do?
2nd. When I sweep and it nulls out it makes no sound again until I put something metal under the coil to get the sound back. Is that right?
3rd. When I turn on its making noise all over the place and is hard to get it to settle down, is that right?
I have reread the manual and read Andy's book I am still having a hard time. I think this is why I lost interest the first time. Also I will get a good hit, pin point it and dig and find nothing. I check the dirt pile and nothing there. It's like it disappeared and this has done this many times. I am using the factory settings. Please don't laugh but I don't know what to do, Any ideas to the questions and the rest? Thanks

1. Iron mask is a simple straight line discrimination. The more iron mask you run the more discrimination you are using. Many use it to block out only just some of the iron leaving obviously the rest of the screen open.

2. Actually once you get out of the nulling you should hear the threshold again. Then you good to go. Many times your Sensitivity is just set way to high. High is not always better.

3.One it will make a start up tone after that point it should calm down.
If it doesn't be sure to hit "Noise Cancel"
If it still is erratic try turning your sensitivity down until its acceptable to hunt.
Obviously your having a problem in an area so go back and try what I suggested. Turn your Sensitivity down until its smooth then up a couple till she just make a smidgen of chatter. Then try your area again.

Remember to set your Threshold to were you can just barely hear it.

Also do not turn your gain up. You want to be able to distinguish those fainter hits. As a mater of fact I back my gain down on the SE Pro as I do not like it at 8 and feel there is not enough separation in faint tone hits. Although my hearing is fantastic so, that might just suit me.

If you are using Iron Mask undoubtedly the best way to hunt is in Ferrous tones. This will make everything to the left on the screen a progressively deeper tone versus in Conductive it makes everything on the top of the screen a high tone then as it goes down on the screen a deeper tone.

Best of luck with your Explorer. Its a phenomenal machine. :minelab:

You should be circling your target and seeing if it is repeatable from atleast two angles.
Try setting your iron mask at say -16 then go into the menu and set your noise to Ferrous tones.
What this will do will be to orient high tones so as such that the farthest items on the right of the screen are the highest pitched therefore making most iron a low tone.
Conductive tones setting sets up the highest tones as to the items that fall on the top of the screen left to right.
Now, about the only thing that will and could sound similiar to a silver coin might be a screwcap as these hit in the bottom right and a square nail generally tilted that can give of a high tone. Although most square nails only give off a great one way swept hit and will be really terrible at most other angles.
Also practice making an X over your target as you circle your target keeping a visual on the center.
This will help your tremendously on pinpointing. So, much as I rarely even use the pinpoint feature.
Also, go slow. If your sweeping say a three foot area count 1 thousand 2 thousand 3 thousand and then do the return sweep.
The slower the better.
Also start doing some air testing to get a feel for the tones and reference to where generally the smart find cursor hits on the screen. Granted deep coins will cause the cursor to skip and combined coins in a hole hit different so, I can give you more on that later when I'm on my pc and not phone.
Its late and I'm pooped so if you have any more questions or need help pm me I will help you.