Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need SS scoop advice

borntofli

Looking at big SS scoops for in water hunting.... Do I want 1.5mm thick or 2.0 mm thick scoop...... Will the 1.5mm scoop eventually fail///??? I had an aluminum scoop before, and after 1 summer it failed...

Thanks for your input.... So happy to get back hunting.......

I just picked up a scoop from "Muck the Digga". If you are looking for a nice scoop at a great price I will wholeheartedly recommend it. Mine came with a fabricated grip for your handle as well! 2mm steel, made in the uk and at a price barely above those random Ukranium scoops. It's a little heavy at about three pounds but built stout!
I'll post a review of it some time in the future. It is a great working class alternative to some of the more well known scoops but is deserving of the same attention. As far as 1.5 vs 2mm, it seems that most of the well regarded scoops use 2mm. If 1.5mm steel could be used and give the same results there would more of them available. The only manufacturer I see offering 1.5 is rtg and that is only for some of their smaller models. Good luck and HH!

Look at the stealth scoops. A little expensive but American made and guaranteed for life. People love them.

I use the T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop. It weighs 3.5 lbs. Built like a tank and has dug me a lot of treasure. The Stealth brand of scoops are Highly recommended. A bit expensive but they come with a Lifetime Warranty. That warranty alone is worth considerable dollars.

Those foreign made scoops will fail some time in the future and you will be spending more money to replace them. Buy good quality and it will last much longer.

I ended up buying this one.... 2mm...http://www.ebay.com/itm/182163102489?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

. This was all i could afford.... dont want to be using a shovel at the beach.... Its all sand here, (s. texas coast)...

Detector and scoop should be here by thursday, lots of rings waiting for me at the beach......

Tks for your input.....

That'n will do you just fine. Good luck!

Scoop has small diameter support for handle.... had to sand down wood handle to fit..... Broke after 1 hour......... Now have metal handle, little heavy, but who cares...... You get what you pay for........

borntofli said:
I ended up buying this one.... 2mm...http://www.ebay.com/itm/182163102489?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

. This was all i could afford.... dont want to be using a shovel at the beach.... Its all sand here, (s. texas coast)...

Detector and scoop should be here by thursday, lots of rings waiting for me at the beach......

Tks for your input.....

I've used this scoop with both a wooden Homedepot handle and a metal handle for 100's of hours in sand, clay, and rocky gravel with zero problems and no sign of wear yet. When I first got it I tried to purposefully break it and it's held up fine. I hate clay on inland lakes.:(

So much of life is a matter of being lucky (blessed?). The odds are a cheap scoop will fail, but sometimes they don't. A quality scoop will not, but at least its guaranteed. Like many others I have a collection of entry and mid level scoops acquired before I realized I would have been better off buying a quality one first. If you are going to be doing a lot of beach hunting, pay once and don't look back. Free advice learned at a price.

borntofli said:

Tks for your input.....

I bought this scoop about a year ago. I have been using it in the rocks for the last six months without any problems. The only thing wearing down is my arm :(