Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

need suggestions on old farm site

yogaguy

Hi all.
I was recently up in Wisconsin at an old farm house site. The farm site has an old, original log cabin on it, along with an old home. This is my fiance's great aunt's property. I spoke with her great aunt about the age of the property and she told me the log cabin goes back to almost 200 years ago. The house is a little newer, but also used to be a log cabin that had siding put on it.

I was using a Coinstrike at this location. I was getting ALOT of iron signals around the property, as there is alot of old (but newer) trash items rusting away around the buildings. I got very few high tones mixed in between the iron tones. I decided to dig some of the iron tones, (as I drove 3 1/2 hours, so I should dig something at least). I got alot of rusty square nails and some small wire pieces. I did happen to pull an old strap of some kind out of the ground, but just by chance because of the iron next to it. I also noticed the soil was a sandy mixture, maybe loam. I keep thinking though that after close to 200 years that SOMETHING must have been dropped around the property (coin-wise),

My thinking though is that with the sandy soil mixture that maybe any coins that might have been dropped could possibly have sank to a very deep level. If this is the case, is there anything I could try (detector-wise) to try to find those deeper targets at a deep level? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sincerely, Randy

Know the feeling I hunt 2 farms here i n northern NJ, and both are a little over 200 years old, 1 is still in use by the family, not planted anymore but breeds Blk Angus, about 50 acres in all are cleared since it was a farm. worked it with every detector I have and netted 1-1901 Indian head penny that was it besides some trash i just dont understand it even around the house and barns and the owner says no has done it before. The other farm has brought in a bunch of good stuff, 5 1700's NJ coppers, 2 large cents , 3 british 1700 1/2 farthings. about 10 silvers (dimes and quarters) and a ton of buckle and square shoe buckles.It just seem there should be something there. never used a Coinstrike but my fisher 1270 goes real deep with the 8 and 10.5 coil and it has and Iron Disc. setting that is a killer with nails., the F75 LTD will go real deep and the tone and ID settings help identify the item alot easier. any more help drop a line.

Old coins and other metal things should sink at the same rate so if you are digging old buckles at 6" then coins from the same era should be 6" deep. Are you using the 6" coil and did you lower the Threshold and Sensitivity when searching in trashy spots. Your best bet might be where the plowed fields were, coins will be there and a lot less trash, use 8" coil at max sensitivity in plowed fields.

Yogaguy, there are coins there. I have yet to hunt an old property and not found the type of coins Shooter has mentioned. Keep at it and try to remove some of the iron that may be masking the goodies. Keep us posted.