Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEED To KNOW, OPINIONS On The TWO Options For CARBON FIBRE Straight Shafts!!

Curious MINDS want to know!! I've been using a DeMarco/RTG Aluminum Straight Shaft with (2) EXCAL's for 15yrs., and I'm a Seriously thinking of TRYING a CARBON FIBRE
Straight Shaft on MY Main WATER Detecting EXCAL!! But, I don't know ANYONE in the Delaware/S. Jersey Beach AREAS to be able to HOOK-UP with, so I can HANDLE ONE in
Live Action (as TURTLEMAN would say)!! From Checking Some Dealer Websites, I SEE (2) Different Styles!! An OVER-UNDER Model, and the TRADITIONAL Straight Shaft!! Also,
if there is some YOUTUBE Videos out there, that would H-E-L-P!! MANY THANKS for taking the TIME!! Les Robinson.

Not sure of your question Les. They are lighter, move thru the water better (almost floating), and allow a great extention. They also dont lock up as bad because they dont blister inside like aluminum. Now if you are wanting a comparison of the and under the cuff vs behind the elbow that could be a personal preference. I prefer the behind the cuff. The machine stays out of the water more.... and in the long run i believe it reduces repairs. Also i think you get a little more drag when the machine is in the water. its just a better blanced system to me. Ive even got mine set back 4" from the cuff. There is also the theory that the coil can pick up anything within its field of about 29"...... whats the lower shaft length.....24" so it may have some improvement. Those CF shafts are worth every penny. I made my own.......... but with parts if you dont have them laying around and you use the almost the full stick like i do using the dive shaft then its about as cheap to buy a nice plugger one.

When I was shopping for a pi . A dealer had a excal mounted on a Anderson shaft. The box/tube was mounted up around the shoulder. The balance was amazing. I ended up going with a Infinium, with Carbon shaft and glad I did. (Other reasons) Go to the nearest place that carry Anderson's, and feel the difference. Don't take my word for it.

I went with the Balanced Straight shaft from Plugger. The Snake shaft that came on the Excal hurt my arm after an hour or so. The straight shaft puts the control/battery under and slightly behind your elbow giving the machine far greater balance and makes it much easier to use. I have not used the over/under shaft so I can not comment on that one.

I have Anderson Carbon Fiber Straight Shafts on 4 of my machines and it's the Best investments I've made.The Carbon is lighter than anything out there and stronger.Like Dew said when you're taking your machine apart to clean it the shafts aren't welded together like they do with aluminum..I also have 16" extensions that slide in the back of my shafts and mount my Control Boxes on that shaft..The weight transfer is unbelievable,,you can hunt for hours with the 15" WOT Coil and never tire out your arm or shoulder..Carbon Fiber Straight Shafts are the only way to go...

John.

I have one carbon fiber shaft from Plugger and after 3 months of hard beach and rough surf detecting I love it. I will be ordering 2 more shortly. I chest mount my Excals II and Sovereign GT so I wanted the lightest shaft and coils setup I could get and the Plugger carbon fiber is super light, but unbelievably strong.
I also like that you can order it in any length & he will drill the holes any where you want for the lower shaft mount, I'm 6'5" and use a much longer shaft than most guys.
I personally feel Plugger's shaft lock system is far superior than Anderson's as it clamps verses the screw in bolt used on Anderson and the ID of Plugger's carbon fiber shaft is a much better fit with the OEM Minelab lower rod...no wobble like I found on most of the Andersons I have played with.
Oh did I mention the Plugger carbon fiber is less expensive than the other brand too.:thumbup:

I received an e-mail requesting pic of my Plugger carbon fiber setup on one of my Excals, so here is my Excal 1000 with chest mount, Mr. Gold's headphones with Iklite fittings and a Tornado series 10" BBS coil and Plugger custom cut carbon fiber shaft.
This rig(coil & shaft) comes in at 3.0 lb. about .8 of a lb. less than my carbon fiber shafted Stealth 720I hybrid scoop(what a brute at 3.8 lb).

I've converted my two Excal ll & 1000 to Iklite fittings that I made myself and will run the same Mr. Gold's headphones on whichever one I'm using at the time. I do have Grey Ghost underwater and the yellow Minelab headphones with Iklite fitting for when I take people on the beach to learn the Excal.
One Excal ll has the 10" slim-line coil and the other will get an 8" slim-line coil as soon as I can find one, they also will soon have Plugger carbon fiber shafts.

I also have changed all three of their coil wires to 1/4"(6mm) continuous-flex cable thanks to posts by OldBeechnut and Mel Parker. coil cable fix

Note: Plugger offers the carbon fiber shafts in matt black or the carbon fiber look.
image36908.jpg

image36906.jpg

Plugger shaft lock(sorry about the bad pic)
image36907.jpg

Business end of the Stealth 720i hybrid
image36911.jpg

image36910.jpg

Forgot to mention........ Bill (plugger) will make one any way you want it.

The ONLY problem I have seen with the straight shafts (either carbon fiber or aluminum) with the control pod behind the elbow is that you may have a problem fitting it into your vehicle due to its extended length. You may have to take the shaft apart to make it transportable. This is also true if you use the "extension" for the aluminum rod that are for sale.

Now if you have a pick-up truck -- no problem! My advice is check any length mod to see if it "fits" not only your needs for detecting but the mode of transportation you use. The weight / strength ratio is a must have mod for the serious detectorist. I personally like the Over/Under mounting, but then I also swing the ATX.

Many years ago I started using Whites upper dive shaft and matched it up with lower rods for my SurfMaster and land detectors. I then hip mounted the Excal to use the same dive shaft. Part number P/N 802-5195-1 sells for $40 today, something for those that can not afford a CF shaft and want a straight shaft. You only have to mix / match or drill a couple of holes to get some lower shafts to work with with Whites upper shaft.

Anderson makes an Excellent Carbon Shaft and will also do custom work.You can find the Anderson Shafts in just about every Detector Shop that carries Better Quality Equipment.Ive never had Anderson shafts seize up like the other brand and the shaft lock setup is excellent..Anderson's are the best I've used..