Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need to upgrade Metal detector Which one?

micker26

Currently I own a Radio Shack 2000. I've had this model since 1997 and have loved to metal detect. I usually only find junk and the occasional clad coin. I've only ever found one ring while I've had this. I'm really interested in getting a nice metal detector. The White's XLT and DFX series has really caught my attention but I'm not sure. I really need a good detector that can go the depth and pull up some nice finds around old farms and homes. If anyone can give some suggestions I would appreciate it.

In the 33 years of detecting and trying different detectors to see what they can do and ease of operation my first choice for a metered detector would be the Whites MXT as it is easy to use and can be used for most all type of hunting. You dont have to program it, just turn the controls to the presets and you are ready to go. Some may say differently, but most can and will do better with the MXT over the DFX or the XLT as those have alot more setting to adjust or misadjust and you will spend more time adjusting to the area you are detecting.
Now the detector i feel is even better than the MXT,but there is alonger learning curve and would recomend this one more for the areas many feel are worked out is the Minelab Sovereign as these have made many parks and ballfeild some thought were cleaned out like virgin areas with alot of deeper and older finds. For someone that has wants a easy detector to use and yet have the power for the deeper coins the MXT is the one I recomend more than any other.

Rick

My first detector was a RS 2000, I found tons of clad but no oldies. I then took a giant step forward and bought a Minelab Explorer XS. I started finding Silver...Silver...Silver...Oldies and some very deep...I found out that the RS 2000 could not find good targets amongst the trash and iron. The Explorer XS has this ability. I had more fun experimenting with the Learn, edit functions..I could walk in to a school yard and only dig good targets if I chose to, and if I felt like digging everything I could...I will never be bored with this detector...If you can afford the best, buy it...I got mine used on a buy- sell forum...Some people think its a hard to learn detector, but I cannot see why...it is so versitile, it would be your best choice if you want old and deep...I use mine everywhere, beach,ponds lakes, parks, school yards, the woods, cellar holes, fair grounds. Just my opinion...:minelab:

micker26, I started off with a WalMart Bounty Hunter 505 it was not a bad unit but it didn't like salt water in wet sand. The wife and i like going to the beach so that's where I wanted to detect most. We decided to get a White's DFX. It's easy to use and you can use the pre programed programs so start off. It's something I don't think you will grow out of any time soon. Yes you can go nuts with the programing of it but only if you want too. If you want to peek it out and run it hot you need only change a few settings. It's a nice unit you won't be sorry if you decide to go with it. kellyco.com has some great deals going on but you need to call to get pricing on the DFX you will get a lot of freebe stuff from them. Good luck! George

the only one that makes detectors! :lol:

For what what you described please consider a Minelab Explorer, Fisher CZ-3D or even the Fisher ID Excel. These 3 make it easy to hunt those types of sites and find the goodies.

The MXT is a decent coin machine but its noisy and the ID is not stable on the deeper good stuff. If you like to dig "iffy" signals it would be OK for you. But I found it would not pick out copper/silver coins at depths like the dedicated coin machines will.

Forget the XLT, it is NOT designed to hunt trashy sites where you need to go slow to pick thru the junk. It will work OK for that in the hands of someone that has mastered it well but not on the par of the ones I mentioned.

Can't tell you about the DFX as I did not keep one long enough to "learn" it. Evidently, you have to "really learn it" to get the best out of it. :lol:

HH Tom

Is what its all about and feel a CZ would provide both for you..XLT and DFX are just not the deepest around and require a long learning process...

:fisher: CZ 70 PRO, deep,stable, & easy to operate.It's a toss up for me, but I do prefer my Coin Strike but it has a much longer learning curve but worth it. Fisher life time warranty (Note) they really stand behind there products. Also any of the Whites machine's are great! Over the years I have tried the DFX,xlt and MXTthey perform well too. My personal favorite Whites machine is the XL Pro analog unit. I still prefer the Fisher units over all for me.It still boils down to learning the machine you choose there all great units.

Good Luck

Bill G

I agree with Dan and Tom. The Fisher CZs are hard to beat. If you want something you can pick up and get great depth with a minimal of fuss I would go with one of the CZs. I own a CZ-3D and it's a real deep machine and fits the kind of sites I hunt. I also own a Minelab Explorer and it is harder to learn but it's a great machine in it's own right. IMHO, it probably the best 'all around' machine out. Sure other machines can beat it under different circumstances but the Explorer can consistantly pull out coins that other machines miss. I prefer the Explorer in iron infested sites and use the CZ-3D alot where getting great depth out of small coils helps. I wouldn't part with either machine. You might also want to look at the Fisher CZ-70Pro.

-Bill

All the detectors they posted above are good detectors and I use Minelab Explorer and Minelab Excalibur myself.

First thing I would had posted is "Is there a Detector club in my hometown or near my hometown" then meet the folks over there because they would know which detectors is better suited for your soil at your hometown/state.

Some detector perform better than others in different soils but I would limited to those detector other had posted about the Fishers or Minelab since they are a good detector with a good track records ..

Next I would recommand you pick brand or model of the detector that you are consider to purchase and then go see if there a forum on that certain brand and read what other are saying about it or how easy/hard that detector is etc.

Bill

I would get the fisher CZ3D or the fisher 70 pro. I have used all of the different detectors out there and I love these the most. DEEP, as deep as you can dig