Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEL 6.5x3.5 SNAKE COIL, ANYONE USE IT?

MI-AuAg

I'm looking for a trash sifting coil for my F75. I know the Fisher 5" round does well.

I'm impressed with the NEL coils. I like the fact that they're filled with epoxy resin, a solid, stable bed for the windings. The fact that they come with a coil cover, hardware, and even a velcro strap for the coil wire is impressive! All that, and they still cost less. In performance, NEL coils seem to be pretty good.

I'm looking at the 9.5"x5.5" Sharpshooter (which seems to be well liked by many), and the 6.5"x3.5" Snake. Right now I'm leaning toward the Snake coil.

Would appreciate any knowledge anyone could pass along. Thanks!

I have not used the Sharpshooter, so I can not comment on it.

I have an F70 and I use the Fisher 11"DD and the Snake on it. The Snake does a great job of sorting through trash and it can snuggle up to the playground equipment. Haven't used it next to a fence. The 11"DD sets off alarms near any steel pipe.

The deepest I have found anything with the snake is around 7" in DE speed and 8" in SL speed. I think my SL speed is like your boost.

I have zero complaints about the Snake. I am glad I bought one. Since your 11"DD is much closer to the size of the Sharpshooter, I think you would get more value from the Snake.

Fisher F70 w/Fisher 11” DD and NEL Snake Coil
Fisher 1280-X w/8” Coil
Fisher F2 w/4”, 8” and NEL Hunter Coil
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones

Hello fjs440,

Thank you for your reply!

The snake doesn't seem to be a widely used coil at this point, but it's size seems very well suited to a couple of my favorite areas. They are heavy with trash, and I am quite sure there is some nice old treasures to be had, if I can comb through it.

You read my thoughts on the size of the sharpshooter, in relation to the standard 11" coil. I would only be gaining about 1 1/2" on the heel to toe axis, and a bit moore on the side to side axis. Not enough for me to consider it a worthwhile difference to cleanly slice through the nasties. With the Snake, you still have a slight edge in coverage over the 5" round in heel to toe, BUT, that 3.5" width looks great.

7" is a respectable depth, especially if it gets that target separation. Although the F75 gold DST doesn't have boost, I think with the right tweaks, it could manage to come close to your results.

Thanks again fjs440, very helpful.

I am running the F75Ltd with the NEL snake and does fine for me. I love running it in FA for clad stabbing, works well in the trash and gives me pretty good ground coverage. Other than that is about the same as the 5" DD round.

I have also been cleaning old sled run with it and I am taking out pull tabs at 6 and 7 inches. When I get a section clean I will take the 10" concentric over that same area and check for some deep silver or deep pull tabs.LOL

But bottom line I like the snake on my 75 and also got a snake for my Tesoro Tejon.

Ron in WV

Hey Ron,

Good to hear that the Snake is working well for you too. My hope was that it would at least do as well as the 5" round. 7" is certainly an acceptable depth as long as I'm getting decent separation.

I believe I'll get one.

The 10" concentric was my choice if I decide to add a third coil.

Thanks for the input.

I just got the 10" concentric used a couple of months ago and haven't done a lot of hunting with it. But I air tested it and it came in a little deeper than my 11"DD in both the dE and Bp processor, which was a surprise.

The separation on the 5" and the snake are about the same, now the 6.5" concentric is about the same depth but doesn't have as good of separation.

Ron in WV

Don't have the snake but I have been running the sharpshooter for the last year or more. The day I put the NEL coil on was the last day I ever used the stock coils. It seems more sensitive than the 3" fisher and gives better ground coverage due to the size. Quite often, here in Florida I can't run the F75 in BP - the coil is very sensitive and picks up on the salty/sandy soil.

This year is going great - found more rings, silver, and gold this year than the past 4 years combined.

I bought the snake a few weeks ago, love it, it's a perfect sniper for my F5, it found some items in a nail infested area, that I didn't see with my larger coils

coin pirate said:
I bought the snake a few weeks ago, love it, it's a perfect sniper for my F5, it found some items in a nail infested area, that I didn't see with my larger coils

I was wondering with F5 snake coil, did it come with a adapter for both types of connectors the push in and the screw on?

Ron in WV

Just a little follow up. I did get a NEL Snake coil for my F75. In limited tryout before getting rained out, I was impressed.

Separation is great. Balance on the machine remained good. I think I'm gonna like this one, a lot!