Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nel Attack coil air test

Johnho

Finally got a chance to test this coil out for the Pro. Here are results:

Stock coil with full sens Attack full sens Attack two bars reduced sens
Penny 11" 15-16" 13.5"
Nickle 10.5" 14" 12"
Dime 10" 15" 13"
Quarter clad 12" 18" 16"
Gold ring 10" 12" 12"

Now some comments. The coil is chatty for sure. I had to reduce the sens 2 bars to get it to settle down and it did some, but it still chatters some. Yes it is heavier but we all knew that. I am older and would not swing this coil for any length of time but I also use the Swingy Thingy sling on my stock coil and will definitely need it for this one. Plus, trying to build up my arm to swing this would mess up my golf swing and we can't have that. With this size coil you will not be swinging this through tall grass or brush for sure and I would expect many of you seasoned folks to already know that, for us novices, it won't go through the grass and to lift it up defeats the whole depth advantage.

So what do I think of it overall? I have mixed feelings on it. If I can get it to settle down somehow it will surely get more depth. I expect that the broken signals I get with the stock coil will for sure come in much stronger at the stock coil depth as the readings I recorded for the Attack were there but broken, just as i tested the stock coil. I'm going to keep it so far. I already paid $25 to ship it to me and someone said it cost them $35 to return it so in a sense i guess I have the coil for about $155. Would I return it if I didn't have the shipping costs included? Probably, if I can't get it to settle down. Maybe my back yard has too much junk buried in it too, I will just have to take it to the beach where I know how my stock coil acts.

I,ve an idea,crazy or maybe not. Even an air test can be affected by where the ground bal on the machine is. Noticed the gold ring distance didn't change much for the attack, When u try it on a beach suggest u try offsetting it, first + at least 10 or more then - 10 or more(from where its properly balanced) to see if that quiets it down, and also try a different frequency setting(separately-not at the same time). If either improves the chatter please let us know.

Hey I have a nel storm and mine is chattery too. But has nice depth. Try factory reset with tye nel coil on. My nel runs better on the positive side of a ground balance
Open fields that have been mowed. Thats the only place I use mine. I sent my nel tornado back it was so noisy. But it was faulty. Cord looked like it was melted or something. Keep us posted on what works on yours to keep the noise down

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be going to the beach Monday and try out the suggestions. I did do a reset and that didn't seem to have much affect yet. I will keep you posted.

John

Interesting......Nice added depth for sure.I wonder what would happen if the detector crapped out using that coil? Would garrett still repair it under warranty?