Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nel shrew coil

bibelot

Picked one up last week, just got around to hunt with it today, a great little coil, I like it better than the oor coil.

Wow biblot!!! Great day. Is that a silver quarter at the bottom??

It looks like that little coil is your new buddy!!! I think I am going to get a 7" DD coil for trash myself.

how deep was that coil hitting on those coins???

what kind of depth are you getting with an air test on it??

Good finds!!

Yes, barely silver(1964) but I'll take it. These coins were dug from 2 curb strips, actually rather shallow. I don't think any of them were over 6" in depth. Separation is where this little coil shines, I think it might be a little sharper than the stock brand out of round, It locks in on Id well. The silver quarter was on edge, I was not thinking quarter, it hit lower in high 70's to low 80 range, I was hoping maybe small silver jewelry so a pleasant surprise. I am going to run the 9" concentric back through tomorrow....

That explains a lot.I just air tested various items, it can hit low conductors well. My air test at three tone with racer 2 , ground balanced and at gain of 89 ,which is what I normally hunt

silver quarter- 6"
silver dime-5"
merc-5"
large cent-7"
indian head-5"
wheat back-5 1/2"
war nickel-6 1/2"
14k gold ring-6"

These are repeatable, might hit at slightly deeper depth but not consistent.so I only recorded repeatable consistent depths.

I think you are going to like that Shrew/Nel Snake ( exact same coils) on your R2. A while back Monte and I did some testing. He put a capped bust half dime on the nail board test and we added a bent smaller horseshoe nail to the test. We placed the bent nail to the right of the coin about 3 inches away and then after every run would slide it closer to the half-dime coin. At the time I actually had 4 small coils for the R2. An oor coil, the Makro 5" round, a Nel Snake and Nel 5" round "Sharp" coil. So Monte and I guessed which would take 1st place. We kinda got an eye-opener.

Dropping out in 4th place was the "oor" coil, 3rd place was the Makro 5" round and a very very close finish but 2nd went to the Snake coil and it was the Nel 5" sharp coil that won that bout. Another surprising find was that it took the R2 with a Nel Sharp coil to do almost but not quite do what the Nokta Fors Core could do with the "oor" coil.

We knew what an oor coil can do on the Fors Core and we both guessed that the oor on the R2 would produce about the same results, we were wrong.When I put the R2 w/Sharp coil up against the Fors Core w/oor coil, the Fors CoRe nudged it out to take 1st place.

Anyhow, I use my NeL Snake coil almost all the time when using a small coil on the R2 and the other main use coil is the 7" concentric. The 7" concentric, they hit a home run with that coil.

As far as small coils, the Shrew/Snake Coil and the 5" round Sharp coils, I feel definitely gave the R2 a performance boost when using a small coil.

Thank you. I am thinking of getting of getting the 7" concentric. The 9" concentric has been a good addition fir the kruzer/ anfibio . I bought the shrew coil used to allow me to want to continue using the racers when I have a Multi Kruzer and Multi Anfibio.

I have the Shrew/NEL Snake for my R2, awesome coin and I agree I also like it better that the OOR, although the OOR is no slouch, but you just feel you can cover more ground with the Shrew/NEL Snake.

[attachment 367161 12.jpg]I think the oor works better with the red racer. I found this ugly pendant and you can see the iron stains on it, iron all over but the oor gave a surprisingly good signal. Gregg said the 7" concentric was done right. It was also made at a later date when the racer 2 was already in production, most likely designed from the racer 2 than the previous red racer ? Maybe I am reaching but I will continue to use the oor on the red racer and the shrew on the racer 2. I see I made a mistake, it was the Cors shrew , not really the Nel as I originally typed.

You probably got that CORS Shrew from me. It's a great coil on the R2.

Tom Slick said:
You probably got that CORS Shrew from me. It's a great coil on the R2.
I thought as much, Thanks. Ivan

The shrew loves bent square nails, actually any bent nail but the square nails aren't as clipped of a signal. The worst things on earth, not a pull tab, not a bottle cap but both combined. Iroquois beer went out in 1971, am thinking these were one of the last offerings, the other is frequently found, older but by the hundreds....[attachment 367268 21.jpg][attachment 367269 22.jpg]

OregonGregg said:
Dropping out in 4th place was the "oor" coil, 3rd place was the Makro 5" round and a very very close finish but 2nd went to the Snake coil and it was the Nel 5" sharp coil that won that bout. Another surprising find was that it took the R2 with a Nel Sharp coil to do almost but not quite do what the Nokta Fors Core could do with the "oor" coil.

We knew what an oor coil can do on the Fors Core and we both guessed that the oor on the R2 would produce about the same results, we were wrong.When I put the R2 w/Sharp coil up against the Fors Core w/oor coil, the Fors CoRe nudged it out to take 1st place.

Makes you wonder how good the CoRe would have done with a Sharp coil ! It must have been available for the CoRe and/or Relic at one point. Now that those detectors have been relegated to oblivion (well almost), coils are getting hard to find.

Always wished they would have made a Core 2. Added Iron Audio,Tone settings and I would have been very happy. But the CoRe is still one of my favorites.

NEL didn't make any coils for the Core. Only one I ever seen was from Mars . The Nokta 9.5 x 5 that they put out is almost impossible to find. Is a really good coil on the CoRe