Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nel snake for my coil choice

Since I hunt house demolition sites as much as I can, I decided to go with the Nel snake for my coil choice. Also bought extra rod. Now for some dirt fishing.
2DA874C9-57C8-409D-82D3-E06DCD4BB591.jpeg

Attachments

• FB6FC33A-D046-4336-9873-440D98DAD53A.jpeg
    FB6FC33A-D046-4336-9873-440D98DAD53A.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 96
Since I hunt house demolition sites as much as I can, I decided to go with the Nel snake for my coil choice. Also bought extra rod. Now for some dirt fishing.
Well over a half-century of avid detecting schooled me long ago that the detector-maker's coils were 'generally' the better coil to use. I used a lot of aftermarket coils during the '90s and early 2000's that were provided me on several different brands and models, but overall I was left unimpressed. That was until I used some NEL coils on Fisher, Nokta and Makro models, and I liked the NEL Sharpshooter for mid-size coil, and the Snake elliptical and Sharp round coils. The only other impressive aftermarket coil I had was the MGC 5X8 DD for a Fisher F-75+ and it was very solid-performing with great VDI lock-ons that were accurate. Accuracy was also a notable point with the other coils I mentioned on the models I listed.

So, with excellent results before, and since Garrett failed to make one of their really good 4½" Concentric coils for the Apex, I contacted NEL and got the first 5" Sharp coils they made for the Apex, and while it worked, I was let down because it didn't work all that well. Overall it was okay, but the VDI read-outs were not as accurate as Garrett's Ripper, Viper and Raider coils, being 'off' a few numbers, and the unit was jumpier with a broader-spread on VDI read-outs. If you didn't use the VDI the coil worked, but if you were dependent on a good, accurate, functional read-out, it was not impressive.

So, with that explained, I am curious how you, or others, do with the NEL Snake coil on the Apex and if the resulting VDI's are close to 'normal' and also tight and consistent. I wish you the best of success because I like the Apex and feel Garrett gave us a very good, affordable, detector, and I am hoping the Snake coil works well because I rely on smaller-size coils or mid-size coils.

Monte