Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEL Tornado Coil vs Stock coil on T2

SWMO Mark

I have been considering getting a NEL Tornado coil for my T2.. Anyone used one? How much depth increase over the stock coil has it given you? Thanks for any feedback. Mark

I have used a Tornado on the T2 and its possibly one of the best aftermarket coils going,it would give you 2-3'' extra depth,many folks say it goes deeper but thats not for me too say,its a very popular coil here in the UK and many folks who put them on not only the T2 but other popular brand detectors never take them off again and usually then sell the stock coil.

For the last 12 months i have been using the next model up in the NEL range the Storm coil,and once again that is also another lovely coil its deeper,but for a general all round performance improvement the Tornado is the way forward.

Its not just better in say depth but also of course it cover more ground,pinpoints very well and target separation is 'very good,i also have the NEL Sharpshooter and the big fella the NEL Big coil,i dont have any business relationship with NEL,i am just a happy customer who has bought them with my own money and not gifted for a good biased review.

I have used the NEL coil for 10s of 1000s of hours and the stock 11in T2 coil for a bazillion hours. All I can say is I never use my NEL anymore. Any advantage covering more ground is negated because I can't swing it as fast, and I lose area around obstacles. I see the depth as being a wash. Both coils "sound" and VDI similarly at all depths. I remember hemming and hawing over the same question. Sorry for the late response!

Hi Mega
I've never tied the tornado on my T2. I mostly run the Ultimate coil. I just wondered if you had tried it and how you felt it compared to the tornado in English conditions.

MartinUK said:
Hi Mega
I've never tied the tornado on my T2. I mostly run the Ultimate coil. I just wondered if you had tried it and how you felt it compared to the tornado in English conditions.

Martin,if i am honest i think the Tornado and Ultimate are about evenly matched,nothing in it i guess,both the same dimensions and both tried and tested coils,both give better depth than the stock coil and both will hit cut halves and quarters,i used a Ultimate for a long time but mainly use the SEF coils and the NEL Storm,i also have the BIG NEL which only comes out too play on say deep pasture,thats not been used much of late as i prefer to use a Nexus these says.

The T2 in my mind is still a really lovely machine,its found me more gold coins than any other detector including full and 1/4 staters from 55BC,and all mine is still one of the original green machines.

I find the Tornado deeper and more stable than the 11" coil. Not quite as good separation, but very close. My 11" coil is so noisy I do not care for it, the Tornado definitely locks onto targets better in the areas I hunt and seems more EMI resistant. It is not good in heavy iron or trash, but great for old roads, fields and open areas. It is a great scouting coil, I use it a lot to help locate the nail beds of older home sites, and use it to work the horse pastures and orchards. I have used it at some parks and it will find 11"+ coins, but it is rare my parks are trash free enough for it. I usually end up with the sharp shooter or 5" coil to really work the iron nails and trash. It is just another tool for certain conditions. I want to try meteorite hunting this year and can see it working well for that.

I notice about a 2-3" depth increase where I can run it over teh 11" coil. I watch the Hoover Boys really pull some nice targets with theirs, but speculate the number of detectorists helps keeps their areas more open to really chase the deeper signals. Honestly I have to be in the mood for digging those deep targets, a 11"+ hole is a lot of work!