Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nervous about change, looking into SE realm

YODAinMN

Going to be doing a trade on my CZ7a Pro for one of these. How fast is the learning curve? I know I got some studying to do but I can manage since Winter is here for a good few months. Any suggestions for a noob in the Minelab realm?

Depends on what you mean by "the learning curve." If you mean simply the ability to turn it on, get it set to hunt, and then start hunting, it's not too bad at all. A read-through or two on the manual, and you'll start to see what all the controls do. I also suggest Andy Sabisch's book "The Explorer and E-Trac Handbook."

But, if you mean understanding the "language" of the machine, especially on the deeper/iffier targets, that does take awhile...

Steve

I had a CZ7a Pro before going to the Explorer. That was a nice machine and deep. I also had an Excalibur, which I had used for a season, so I had a little more Minelab experience than you when I started. One thing I had learned with the Excalibur was to trust the sound. A tiny peep of a high tone is a good signal, but deep (usually). If it sounded like there was a nickle and a quarter down there, I would scoop a nickle and a quarter.

Then I got the Explorer, wow, on the first outing in a local park, I got a tiny peep of a high tone. It repeated when swept at 90 deg. So I dug and dug, and finally brought up a wheat cent at a measured 11"! I know it did not fall down there because the final clod, that was stuck to my digger, had the coin showing on the bottom. The hardest thing for me to learn was the tones. I am not talking about the subtleties of signals; I mean the basic high, med and low. I found the Explorer to be very easy to learn.

I would suggest running it in default settings for the first few hunts. Also you may want to take it to somewhere that is not a complete trash pit. The sounds can be overwhelming at first. A medium junk to a somewhat clean site would be better to start.

You are at the right place here at Findmall Explorer forum. Folks are nice and helpful. Give the Explorer some time and you are sure to like it. Best of luck.
HH - BF

If one hand is holding the explorer, the other is holding a shovel...

HH, with a group on the forums like this, learing curve will be a cake walk.

Good luck with your new "silver vacuum" .. !

Whereabouts in MN are you if you don't mind me asking ?

with the CZ7A.

It is a whole different ballgame with the Explorers....BUT you can greatly shorten the learning curve by being patient.

Check out this post:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1373966,1374019#msg-1374019

I found a 1858 Seated Liberty today. Also pulled a Silver JFK half, and a 1981 Jamacian penny with it. You'll like that machine, go slow, and listen for the faint high warbles.

Welcome to the Explorer world :thumbup:
First off I have hunted with the CZ line (3&5) and yes they work but, man if the 7 is as hot on nails at an angle like the 3 and 5 where boy are you in suprise in a good way.

As far as comparing the CZ line to the EX line you really in all due respect really cannot compare them in the ability to distinguish items and i.m.p.o depth.
First off the CZ line operates on 2 freqeuncies usually 5and15khz as the EX line uses 28 and if I can remember like from 5 up to 100khz. That in itself is a huge difference in helping to determine its conductivity and ferrous content which helps to determine for you (after learning) what most likely the target it is. (Someone please chime in as the number of possibilties offered I cannot remember but, it is a bunch).
You can choose the analog screen using the F&C numbers or the Smartscreen not just a needle sweeping to some coin picture.

The weight of the EX is about 1lb heavier but, unless you have bad shoulders or back that should not be a problem.

There are just so many things the EX line offers it would take me hours to cover.

Type in Learn, Saved Custom Programs that will just give you a super small glimpse of the things you will get a chance to learn that can benefit you over your existing machine.

Since it is winter and it sounds like you will not be hunting much so, ask questions and read the manual Front to Back then do it again.

If your going to make the change read, read and read the forums but go easy on yourself your time invested in learning will pay off bigtime.

Best of Luck on your descision :thumbup:

Dave,

I'm in SE, MN.
To Leggohead.. I'll be ready to go tomorrow on the SE Pro.
I just figure I'd ask all here for some input, I guess I got some good recommendations on it. Here's to not looking back and hopefully finding some good finds this year.
I had a blast last year with 5 ring finds and tons of clad on the CZ. Found a few wheaties and a nice large piece of natural Copper in northern Michigan. I'm hoping to find some coin silver with the SE and to hunt on more old farm house property this time around!

It will be a lot easier if you can find someone to hunt with who uses an explorer. It makes it more fun too.

Thanks Dave and Mike on trying to work out a buddy system for SE Pro noobs.. Hopefully, I'll meet-up with someone in my area. I met an old-timer who is a big-time Tesoro nut-- so that rules that out. Anyway, I hope to see it in the mail soon since its coming from Michigan. I'm kind of disappointed that I couldn't be swinging out here today, we had temps in the 50's and I already cross-shipped my CZ :(

Well,

It came in the mail yesterday...

IMG_8921.jpg

I'm going to use it as-is for the moment and see how I do. I like the quick reference in the back of the manual on how to use it in 3-steps, lol. It's an Ireland model and many thanks to theotherleggohead for the deal. It's -5 degrees outside and looks like we're finally gonna get some good amounts of snow by the end of the week. so for now, I'll be doing allot of reading and expanding my knowledge base on this machine during this Winter. Thanks for all the advice and I'll keep reading here on the forums!