Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Never listen to the other guys opinion…..

Today was a busy honey do day so didnt manage to get out the house on my own until 2:00, sun sets 4:05…… Decided to go to older school (but still current) with city park behind it. Been there before and had good luck finding a couple silver coins and a couple silver rings. Felt like digging coins for the two hours and coming home with more than a sub dollar amount.
Started out and some kid wandered up and got inquisitive, nice kid so let him tag along. He was mostly interested in the pennies and the difference between zincs and coppers. He asked to keep the pennies so I let him have those. He asked if whatever I dig next could he have and I said sure unless it was silver. Hit a 2007 quarter and he said “hey thats my birth year”. I thought to myself go away……. Then I dug a dog tag for rabies dated 2007 so Merry Christmas kid. He left after that but again he was a really young man so no harm.
Next I notice an older guy shadowing me, he finally wandered over and started a conversation. “Place has been all cleaned out” he told me. Said he detects and has seen several guys with detectors combing the area pretty hard. Well, I already had the dog tag and the quarter and 4-5 copper pennies so obviously not cleaned out. What ever dude……
I swear he wasnt gone 3-4 minutes when I hit a solid half dollar signal so dug in hoping. At 6-8” it might be good! Well I’ll be damned, a silver dime and silver quarter in the same hole just a tiny bit apart!!!! Yes, jkline and I both been in this park and no we wouldnt have ignored that type of signal. So to the other guy, whatever dude!!!!! Lol
Also dug a ring that was pretty gunked up so probably junker but it is heavy so curious now. Currently soaking and will clean it up carefully
I walk my dog in a park near the river each day M-F. I also detect the park maybe every other week in the summer at the volleyball courts which do produce in the spring, summer and fall. When I meet a detectorists I don't know, I tell them that I walk here every day and often see detectorists pulling rings out of the shoals area of the river. Of course I don't mention the fact that I detect and consider the park mine. Then I see them in a couple of days out there detecting with waders on. Of course there is nothing much out there because the fly fishermen don't usually loose jewelry in the river. But it keeps the interlopers away from my volley ball court which is my productive area and eventually away from the park.

Quite honestly, the dozen or so older coins I've recovered of late were far from being classic coin hits. 2 rusty nails and a 63 Washington (this a m) in the same hole isn't exactly a gotta dig it signal. Anyway, I'm with ya, Papa. HH jim tn

Ring/bearing update!! Its a bearing for a roller skate so that dates it a little bit!! The things we learn……

I've been told the park was hunted out once and then dug a wheatie 5 min. later. So yeah, whatever dude!
Congrats
I had a similar experience. A very busy park by the river in my county. I hunted it for 6 years, 3 with AT Pro, 3 with Nox 800. Only place I found anything was at the volley ball court or tot lot. Everyone told me everyone else cleaned out the other areas of the park. Got a CTX3030 recently and after about 3 weeks started finding wheats in the areas that others said were hunted and cleaned out. Yeah, maybe down to 4-5" inches. I was getting the wheats at 8 to 10" with the CTX. Another park in the middle of Atlanta that many detectorists have known about over the last 20 years I found a Rosie with my CTX. So parks may be cleaned out to some make and models of a detector and not others.

I am convinced you could take an Etrac or CTX3030 with an experienced user and go to any hunted out park and find silver. That is because if I can with only 4 weeks using the CTX then think what experienced users can do. And I am not digging all targets. I am using a coin pattern and cherry picking. Digging very little trash. Only getting fooled by screw caps. Any ideas how to ID Aluminum screw caps coming in at solid 12.42's?