Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New 4500 or used 5000???

soky72

I'm seeing several lightly used 5000's on the market for about the same price as a new 4500. For those of you who have owned both what's your opinion? I relic hunt in slightly mineralized soils and some of my sites do have a little iron. I read one opinion that depths are nearly the same. Maybe I could save even more by picking up a slightly used 4500 if it doesn't make a big difference?

For gold i prefer the 5000, a touch more sensitivity. Has fine gold mode that the 45 doesnt have, but Fine mode is really just a chosen name for that mode as it goes better on some bigger stuff as well. But for relics i doubt you would see any difference at all between them as the differences can be and is considered by many to be marginal to the point many cant tell the difference other than experienced prospectors. A 4500 i would imagine would serve your needs perfectly.

If possible, get the GPX 5000. It has a Relic mode, works great in slightly mineralzition soil. I hear back east it's tough to operate with relic mode, I'm not seeing an issue here in California unless switching to larger coils. Normally, smaller elliptical DD or 11"DD work great in relic mode for my area.

Plus, with the 5000. You can invert the audio so it has high low instead of low high. I really like this feature , low for low conductive high for high conductive.

Good luck,
Paul

Thanks for the input guys. I got a used 4500 pretty cheap to try out and I think I can always upgrade if a good deal comes along on a 5000. Although I've never heard of anyone out this way that can use the relic mode on the 5000. I'm really anxious to give it a go on some of my worn out sites.