Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Article at my website

Nemo

Ever been tempted to buy that thing you think is a cannonball at a garage sale or even a relic show? Pete George and I have put together an article on how to tell authentic from non-authentic solid shot. Pete was gracious enough to fill the article with his artillery expertise. I learned enough to be able to spot several fakes at the last Nashville Relic Show.

I have posted the article on my website under Solid Shot Essentials. Thanks for viewing and hope you learn as much as I did.

Dave Poche.

Dave,

I have a question. I was thinking that I had read somewhere in the past that round shot (not cannister) had to be periodically rotated to prevent flattening. Is that correct or would that just apply to case shot? If that were the case, then it might be possible to find shot that might have some flattening.

Thanks,

baleniM

If you think about it it's pretty neat that a question like yours can be answered in a few hours by an expert. In this case, I submitted your question about flattening "Round Shot" to Pete George. Here is his answer:

Hi Dave,

Cast iron shot won't "compress" during lengthy storage - and neither will
an iron shellwall. So the directive to periodically rotate to prevent
flattening must be referring to lead-bodied shot.

Best regards,
Pete G.

Thanks Pete.

Dave Poche