Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New AT PRO

pitcher

Picked up my new at pro on Friday Sept 6th, took it out today, Sunday 8th in a rain storm, found 6 quarters, 11 dimes , 2 nickels , 1 silver ring and a 1943 s nickel, hunted a spot Ive been hunting for the past 20 years, the 1943 s nickel was 8" deep with a rusted iron nail in the hole, am I happy? OH YEAH

Good hunt in a pounded area.:thumbup:

Graz on the new detector and all the kool finds with it. Great job

Suggestion I make to all new purchasers of the Pro, the 8x5 coil for the Pro is awesome! If/when you can afford/justify the purchase, get one. I had read from all those before me, about this coil, so when I bought the Pro, I also got the 8X5 coil, they had all said when you put it on, it may never come back of, mine hasn't so far. I'm sure it gives up a small amount of depth, but the balance and weight seems much better, and I found my first two gold rings ever with it. They were ladies rings, so small, but not difficult to detect with the coil. Just throwing my two cents in here, you're gonna continue to love the Pro. Artie

I still have a Omega 8000 and a whites MXT PRO, I have the 8x5 coming for the at pro, should be here any day

Welcome Pitcher! Like Artman said, you'll like the 5"x8" - nice and light and great for trashy and woodsy hunting & amazing target separation. Glad you're off to a good start, looking forward to seeing your treasures!

I don't know if its me or a bunch of junk in ground but every time I get a good Signal all are 8 inches or more am I doing some thing wrong
I had a Whit 5000 dl before but the needle quit working so I bought a AT Pro
Haven't found any thing yet been out several time
Got some setting from Moe at Garrett but nothing yet

Congrats on the AT Pro it's a fine detector. I second everyone on the 5x8 DD coil it works great and looks good on the detector, only use the bigger stock DD on the beach or in open non trashy areas. I also ordered the 4.5" sniper coil for super heavy iron infested older house sites to cut through even better than the 5x8DD. The detector is nicely balanced with the 5x8DD too. I sold my MXT after getting the AT Pro. Also the AT Pro is a nice sleek looking detector next to finds.

Take Care All,
Bill G

Thanks I have dug a lot of holes every thing that sounds great is always 8 - 10 inches so I figure its big metal

I dug one hole by a 100 yr old cottonwood tree in church yard and filled it in mover a couple ft over and dug on a good signal and

Found the top rail to a old Iron gate do you dig 50 and above

Lowell

Salvage2421,

Detecting is an art, quite often guys get caught up in the detector gadgets and the ID screen, don't get me wrong these are all great tools to use to our advantage. Really a guy needs to learn on a ID machine what types of items come in at different VDI numbers and there are a grip of different things that will ID as something different than a coin and the detector is saying it's a coin or a good target, this is do to many factors. Also learn the sounds if the detector has tone ID features pay attention here even if the detector does not have tone ID sound will tell you a lot. Now with all that said you take the information you have learned and apply it to the area you are hunting, things such as the age and history of the area, what was built there, the ground conditions, the trash content and the types of trash. Lots of iron?? lots of aluminium trash?? pop tops, foil, tab's, old nails and so on.

To answer your question it all depends on this data for example a nickle falls around 52 VDI on the AT Pro. So now I am hunting at an old house site from the 1900 and I get a strong sort of bouncy 50,51,52,53 VDI. yes I will dig it might be an old nickle that's been in the ground for a long time and has patina and is tarnished a little or on it's side throwing the VDI of a little. Now same example different place. I am at a modern built new park with no history just coin hunting for fun the site has lots of aluminum trash and I get the same thing VDI readings of 50,51,52,53 bouncing around I may not dig it unless it locks on a solid 52 being more than likely a nickle. I may move on as it is more than likely aluminum trash of some type. The deciding factor was using all the data listed above to make my decision.

Also sizing a target helps when you pin point if the object is bigger than a coin like the piece of metal post you described you can follow it and see that is
it's a bigger or longer target in the ground, this also helps in making the decision to dig.

Yes I hunt VDI numbers in the 50 and up but I also size things up based on all the data available to me using learned experience that come over time and many hrs and years of detecting. Do I get it right every time, heck no it's all part of the detecting game yes sometimes it's frustrating but the gain out ways the aggravation.(Sort of like the way my friends that play Golf explain there games He He!!)

No detector is perfect but if you learn the one you have well it will be good to you.

Just my 2 cents here,

Take Care,
Bill G

Bill G, nice reply, I woulda said it that way, if I coulda LOL. As a old timer told me when I started, the only 100% accurate discriminator is a shovel. Salvage2421- keep having fun, the learning just kinda happens. Good luck, Artie

Bill G, nice reply, I woulda said it that way, if I coulda LOL. As a old timer told me when I started, the only 100% accurate discriminator is a shovel. Salvage2421- keep having fun, the learning just kinda happens. Good luck, Artie

artman60 said:

Thanks for the kind words Artie.. You mentioned getting old or being a old timer, well I am getting there myself even with knee pads it a little tuffer today than it was years ago. I suppose they will find me next to a detector in field or next to a old house when it's all over. Only God knows what age that will be He He!!!.(Until then give it hell)

Take Care,
Bill G