Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New cibola owner

donl98632

Just traded for a cibola, modded with ground balance pot and pinpoint switch. Would welcome any input from cibola owners, and input on best coils to use.

Standard 9 x * coil gets the most use for me. In trashy areas, I switch to the 5.75 inch concentric.

I normally hunt with the threshold set for audible using the pin point; sensitivty between 10 and max in the red zone; discrimination at the middle of the word iron that is printed on the faceplate. Sometimes, If I am digging a lot of small pieces of aluminum, I'll turn the discrimination up to the middle of the word foil.
Enjoy your new detector.
Cheers,
tvr

I use the same coils as tvr and in the same area's but also use the 5.75 when I'm hunting close to metal fences, swing set or bleacher legs. Most of the time I hunt with the threshold maxed and sensitivity just outside the red zone, disc set just under nickle until I get tired of digging pull tabs then I move it up to just under zinc or go ahead and just set it to cherry pick.

congrats on the modded Cibola! Im jealous! That will be my next detector if possible.

Let us know how it works for ya!

digginLa setting of the threshold at max is what the manual calls super tuning. It gets some more depth and is usefull if you don't mind digging big iron or want to dig iron relics.

I started hunting with the Cibola super tuned and found that many of the school yards and neighborhoods I hunt had iron plow tips, bolts, chains and various big iron pieces from farming activities from the 1920's to 1960's that I was digging at very good depths no matter what the discriminator was set at. When I stopped super tuning and ran with a threshold that was useable for pinpointing, the discriminator worked much better and my good (non-iron) target count got much better as I dug way less iron. In some tests I've done, super tuning adds maybe up to an inch in depth on coins and also adversely affects how well the discriminator works on iron.

Play with the settings and see what works for your hunting environments and your hunting style.
Cheers,
tvr

On my Vaquero if I set the threshold at a very faint low hum before flipping over to the discriminate mode I dig less iron.

With that setup I don't dig any more iron with the Vaquero than I do with any of my other detectors.

I set the discrimination where it just barely pops and crackles on a ole rusty nail.

tabman

Yeah I knew it was called super tuning. Here in NE La I don't have much problem with large iron objects in the school yards and parks I hunt, although I did find a axe head with my deleon that was deep enough that I wish that I would have had a shovel with me. :)