Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New coils paid for with gold found at the beach.

wygold

I’ve been Detecting with my X-Terra 705 Dual Gold Pack since February 2017 in parks and beaches, mainly beaches. The stock coil that came with this detector is the 10.5 18.75kHz DD and in this pack it also came with the 9” Concentric 7.5 kHz coils. I swapped coils from time to time but mainly use the 9” coil while beach hunting. A lot of my finds are normally in the dry and I tend to get a lot of coins along the beach walls. I couldn’t help when window shopping on amazon on what I wanted to buy which I wasn’t really looking for anything for my detector. I happen to check out what was in the Minelab accessories page and saw this 6” 7.5 kHz Concentric Coil On Sale for $52 & some change. Now normally I don’t do impulse purchases, instead I do my research and figure out what would be my best bet. Unfortunately I didn’t do my research on this coil and at first I thought it was the 18.75 kHz DD Coil. So I bought it which only 1 was left at that price and then it jumps up to $140. After getting the invoice I noticed I was the 7.5 kHz and not the 18.75 kHz coil. No biggy since they normally cost about $140 on amazon. I figured that I got a steal @ the price I paid. Then I said why not go out & get the 15” 18.75 kHz DD Coil for the normal price of $190. I’m not sure if I made a wise decision or not.

I thought about the 6” coil to work along the beach walls as there is so much junk and rebar that I end up having the discrimination down to a 1 while using the 9” coil. I might be missing some other targets when using that settings but idk for sure. With the new coil I hope to be able to tune out the other junk while keeping the discrimination settings higher and please if someone has experience using this type of coil is will it help me along beach walls or even around jetty’s. With the 15” 18.75 kHz will it work better on the beach besides coverage? I wasn’t sure which type of frequency coil to get. Minelab has a knowledge base articles about coils, it just really didn’t help me understand how it was worded. I also understand that the 15” coil is bigger than what I’m use to and that it adds extra weight to the machine, so I’m fully aware of the size. Like I said if anyone has experience with these types of coils please share so I get a better understanding. I’m waiting for the 15” to arrive and I’ve not really tried the 6” just yet. Oh the 6” came first before the 15” coil. I’ve looked on YouTube for additional videos on these coils and all I was able to find were air tests and not in action use which was what I really wanted to see. Using the 9” coil I have found 2 gold bracelets and a gold ring since the beginning of the year. All in all with the gold jewelry I found so far this year has helped pay for these new coils plus I ended up paying $20 out of pocket. If I didn’t see the sale on the 6” coil I would’ve waited until I saved up enough money and any more gold jewelry to pay for a new detector. I’m hoping that getting these other new coils will help improve my recovery of lost treasures and have them pay for themselves. It took me over a year to pay off my 705 with all the Finds I found mostly at the beach.

Thanks for reading and as always GL&HH

wygold said:
I’ve been Detecting with my X-Terra 705 Dual Gold Pack since February 2017 in parks and beaches, mainly beaches. The stock coil that came with this detector is the 10.5 18.75kHz DD and in this pack it also came with the 9” Concentric 7.5 kHz coils. I swapped coils from time to time but mainly use the 9” coil while beach hunting. A lot of my finds are normally in the dry and I tend to get a lot of coins along the beach walls. I couldn’t help when window shopping on amazon on what I wanted to buy which I wasn’t really looking for anything for my detector. I happen to check out what was in the Minelab accessories page and saw this 6” 7.5 kHz Concentric Coil On Sale for $52 & some change. Now normally I don’t do impulse purchases, instead I do my research and figure out what would be my best bet. Unfortunately I didn’t do my research on this coil and at first I thought it was the 18.75 kHz DD Coil. So I bought it which only 1 was left at that price and then it jumps up to $140. After getting the invoice I noticed I was the 7.5 kHz and not the 18.75 kHz coil. No biggy since they normally cost about $140 on amazon. I figured that I got a steal @ the price I paid. Then I said why not go out & get the 15” 18.75 kHz DD Coil for the normal price of $190. I’m not sure if I made a wise decision or not.

I thought about the 6” coil to work along the beach walls as there is so much junk and rebar that I end up having the discrimination down to a 1 while using the 9” coil. I might be missing some other targets when using that settings but idk for sure. With the new coil I hope to be able to tune out the other junk while keeping the discrimination settings higher and please if someone has experience using this type of coil is will it help me along beach walls or even around jetty’s. With the 15” 18.75 kHz will it work better on the beach besides coverage? I wasn’t sure which type of frequency coil to get. Minelab has a knowledge base articles about coils, it just really didn’t help me understand how it was worded. I also understand that the 15” coil is bigger than what I’m use to and that it adds extra weight to the machine, so I’m fully aware of the size. Like I said if anyone has experience with these types of coils please share so I get a better understanding. I’m waiting for the 15” to arrive and I’ve not really tried the 6” just yet. Oh the 6” came first before the 15” coil. I’ve looked on YouTube for additional videos on these coils and all I was able to find were air tests and not in action use which was what I really wanted to see. Using the 9” coil I have found 2 gold bracelets and a gold ring since the beginning of the year. All in all with the gold jewelry I found so far this year has helped pay for these new coils plus I ended up paying $20 out of pocket. If I didn’t see the sale on the 6” coil I would’ve waited until I saved up enough money and any more gold jewelry to pay for a new detector. I’m hoping that getting these other new coils will help improve my recovery of lost treasures and have them pay for themselves. It took me over a year to pay off my 705 with all the Finds I found mostly at the beach.

Thanks for reading and as always GL&HH

the thing I noticed in your post immediately is you stated you are running your discrimination at 1 you should be hearing every thing with your disc set that low if you want to disc out some of the targets you are hearing you need to raise your disc,at a 1 setting on your disk you will hear everything there.
you will loose some depth with more disc that is the trade off less disc more depth but more noise also more disk less noise but a loss of depth

I run my 705 with zero disc just so I can hear every target I also run mine with the tracking activated and set it to the two or four tones and I am almost always in prospecting mode I could never get use to the small 6 inch coil because of its size have been using the 705 since 09 or 2010 and love it I feel it is one of the most under rated detectors out there still to this day

I thanks for the reply. I meant to say that I have my sensitivity set @ 1, most of the time it’s set @ 17 for dry and down to 7 wet depending on soil conditions.

With sensitivity that low you won’t get very deep. But I know wet sand can be a pain at a salt beach. With sensitivity that low I don’t think the 15 will help as you probably have it that low so the Detector won’t chatter to much. The 15 coil sees more dirt at a time so it will be harder to ground balance in salt beach. I would try the 6inch 18khz if you could get one. It is DD and the 6inch 7.5 khz is not DD. The DD is better in mineralized ground. And is good for jewelry. I have one and really like mine.

I agree with 7centsworth on this with your sensitivity set that low you will loose a lot of depth I have one of those 6 inch HF coils for the 705 but hardly ever use it because of the size of it I just can not get use to that small size