Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New CZ3D

jacco

I've been looking at buying a new CZ3D, you can still buy them brand new. The only threads I see in this forum are talking about older and modified/tweaked/calibrated CZ3D. Does anyone here have experience with a brand new CZ3D?

Thanks

Look for a 1021 serial #. Many were wayyy hotter than the newer
ones out there and will cost less than a newer one that won't give
you the performance of the older 1021's. There are some hot later
units but not many and try to find one. So I'd stick with a certified
1021 unit that was gone over by the MASTER and a proven
deep seeker as this is what the CZ3D was geared for and
finding "OLD COINS" in enhanced Mode...These older CZ3D's
are just great units and have found me my biggest Gold ring ever.
They go DEEP!!!!
silverseeker 2

I believe Dave J said all CZ3D's were now being calibrated per his (I think) specifications. Some way in the sale of Fisher the original specs were not being done by FT.............................
Dave says their now within specs to operate really well. Now I am only posting this from something I think I read from Dave J.. I hope the info is correct.
maybe dave J will post in this thread and conform I am right..or that I am totally wrong LOL..

I have had 6 CZ-3D Old and NEW. I currently have a FT
CZ-3D That is a 12"dime one so they are out there.
Try to get one that can do a dime at least 11".
That is plenty hot. SENS. At 4.8 DISC. at 0 ground and volume at pre-set.

Elton said:
I believe Dave J said all CZ3D's were now being calibrated per his (I think) specifications. Some way in the sale of Fisher the original specs were not being done by FT.............................
Dave says their now within specs to operate really well. Now I am only posting this from something I think I read from Dave J.. I hope the info is correct.
maybe dave J will post in this thread and conform I am right..or that I am totally wrong LOL..

I remember that Dave J posted on this forum saying this a while back. I guess the only question would be what is the cut off/break point serial number wise for when they went back to the old calibration procedure on the new CZ-3Ds made at First Texas? Maybe Dave can weigh in on this if he is watching this forum?

HH

Thanks for the replies! I have seen the input, in one of the older threads, by Dave J on the old and good calibration procedure being reinstated. It's just you don't see much comments from people that have bought a new CZ3D.

Per Dave J the last of the Fisher lab 1021's were the worst as production quality suffered along with improper calibration where as the F.T Fisher CZ3d just lacked proper calibration.
Thinking about getting me a new cz3d before they quit making them as they will cost more used than you can buy new now.

I guess gold is where you find it!

My wife would hunt right next to me and would be hitting nickels all day and me with the CZ3d wouldn't have a single nickel. I thought it was the machine and sent it in to be fixed and they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it and it operated perfectly. I traded it in for another detector. Now this was when they first came out so I can't say how the tweeked once are, but I still believe they can't detect a nickel and if you can't pick up a nickel, you are going to lose gold.

mike

mtdoramike said:
My wife would hunt right next to me and would be hitting nickels all day and me with the CZ3d wouldn't have a single nickel. I thought it was the machine and sent it in to be fixed and they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it and it operated perfectly. I traded it in for another detector. Now this was when they first came out so I can't say how the tweeked once are, but I still believe they can't detect a nickel and if you can't pick up a nickel, you are going to lose gold.
mike

Don't know if it was your machine or the operator, but the CZ-3D's will hit nickels and gold just fine...better than your CZ-5, in fact. (wider acceptance window)
Maybe you got a bad one?

My CZ-3D is a nickel and gold jewelry magnet...better than most of my machines...and in bad ground, as well.

mike

Then you must have gotten a good one, because I even sent mine back to the company who sent it back to me and claimed it was working fine. I tried ground testing, air testing nickels and nothing. No, it wasn't my imagination, because that is why they started tweeking them even Tom Dankowski couldn't explain why it wouldn't pickup a nickel. Mine wasn't the first to have this issue and it wasn't the last either. But that was back 10 years ago when they first came out. The newer ones may be different. I know in normal mode, it wouldn't hit a nickel when side by side with my CZ5. But in the enhanced mode it would along with every other piece of trash in the area. I dug more trash with that machine in enhanced mode then I ever did with the CZ5, CZ70pro, T2, Quattro, Xterra 70, and Coin $trike just to name a few. Some swear by them, but I did nothing but swear at mine and was glad to be rid of it.

BUt this is my story and I'm sticking to it, so if you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger. Just run a search on CZ3d and nickels and you'll find there was an issue with them. I hated that it didn't work out for me because I love CZ's and would buy another in a heart beat if I thought it worked better than the one I had.

mike

Been using the new CZ-3D for sometime and the one I have will pick up nickels and the sound & meter are dead on. Bought a 10.5" coil for it which is very heavy and I dont use it much because it will go deep. NASA Tom will still do a calibration/validation/certification on new & old machine and told me it would take about 4 days. Working and learning it capabilities I am very pleased with it - guess it's the nostalgia of the old school meter on it. Rusty nails can be a problem - run mine in the salt mode to identify zinc pennies when I am in an area where I don't think IH pennies are.

Texas ED

mtdoramike said:
BUt this is my story and I'm sticking to it, so if you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger. Just run a search on CZ3d and nickels and you'll find there was an issue with them. I hated that it didn't work out for me because I love CZ's and would buy another in a heart beat if I thought it worked better than the one I had.

mike

mike,

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, and certainly not trying to shoot the messenger.

I believe you when you say the one unit you tried wouldn't find nickels.

Indeed if you purchased yours between say 8-10 years ago, that would be right about the time FTP was calibrating them wrong.
Scroll down to Dave J.'s post:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?23,2247336

But to extrapolate from that one unit, and make the blanket statement that none of them can detect a nickel is simply wrong.

I believed you, now you believe me when I tell you that the many, many CZ-3Ds I've tried had no trouble at all finding nickels.

As far as the trash goes, that what your excellent CZ70-Pro was meant to address.
When the coin target windows were widened to accept the older coins, many complained about the extra trash.
Thus the CZ-70 tries to address this by putting the older coins in their own notch.

You have an excellent cross section of detectors to use.
Enjoy the coming good weather, and have fun,
:)
mike

I have had 3 different NASA Tom tuned Los Banos cz-3ds and also a cz5 that Tom converted to cz-3d specs.

They all had the most accurate nickel window of any machine I've used. And it's a big plus having nickels sound off in high tone.

Incidentally, all but one of these units were off (out of spec) with the nickel window when Tom calibrated them.

I have a newer CZ3D...it gives a high tone on nickels, and meters them as a nickel only if they're within 5 inches of the coil, further off than that and they register on the meter as a beavertail tab.
It air-tests at 10,5 inches on a dime with sens at 8, at 9 inches with sens at 5....it also seems to detect deeper on objects in the ground matrix. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it. I know some older units seem to do better with depth capability. NASA Tom has written that his calibration process won't yield noticeably more depth.

Dan-Pa. said:
If properly tuned may be the most accurate nickel grabber in industry....

I agree Dan.And for that matter all CZ units loved nickels. That I owned !!!.