Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Detector Purchase

tadam84

Alright, I have a detector decision nailed down to three options, hoping yall can help. The Minelab X-terra 50, the Garrett GTP 1350, and the White's Prizm V. If any of y'all have experience with these detectors I would greatly appreciate your feedback...Thanks to all in advance. Any other detectors in these catagories would also be considered.
Tadam84

...you described, The X terra 50 is the "Big dog". I personally like to go with the best I can in detectors. Then, if I want... I'll buy other detectors just to have and compare. Some people like to start out small and work their way up to better ones and with more features bell and whistles. Just my opinion. Best of luck to you.
Rusty, Chicago

Ps. If your going to go with a whites...try MXT or M6.
If your going to go with a Garrett...try GTI 1500

This was just an in field test, nothing controlled.
I ran all 3 at their optimum settings [in my opinion] and depth wise, the M6 was noticeably deeper. The MXT was more accurate on ID, but I liked the X-50 just fine too! It's depth was about equal to the MXT and could be setup to surpass the MXT, but it was less accurate on ID when I did that.
The X-50 is very light weight and can be extended more in length than the other 2. All together, I found a load of coins, only 1 silver dime, the rest clad, mainly from the 70's.
I give all 3 of these a thumbs up! It's not so much, one better than another, it's that all 3 have things about them that are great and none have what I'd call a drawback.
I'm most familiar with my MXT, because I've had it much longer than the other 2. So, I will probably keep the MXT and already have the M6 for sale and will "probably" be letting the X-50 go in another week or 2.
These 3 detectors have been the hardest to use an elimination process with, like I have always done. Of course, I need more than a couple of hours to get a "reel feel" for the X-50 anyway.
This was my 1st impression though. I had already done numerous tests, both field and controlled on the MXT and M6. All 3 seem to be the most detector for the $ I've seen in a while.= Meaning, the DFX,Explorer etc may be better? But not for the $ :)

He discriminates nails. :)

Why are so many people re-selling the Xterra 30 and sometimes the 50? Haven't had a chance to try them out, but really want to take one for a spin.

I don't think that there is "many" people selling the X-terra 50.
As far as the 30 goes, I don't think that it sell's as much as the 50.
of the people selling the 50, most of them are people who already own other high-end detector's like the explorer series OR are just detector hobbiest that like to try out the latest detector to compare to previous ones. Remember detectors usually are worth what they cost nowadays. I personally like to start out at the high end of a manufacturers line of detectors and then check out the lower range models. This way I get a better understanding of the top-end's capabilities. Some people do the reverse and work their way up.
A good measuring stick to observe is what the "hits" each detector company and model gets on the forums. X-terras have their own forum beside their own company forum. When you have to create a seperate forum for a "model" of a detector that say's alot.
Happy Hunting!
Rusty, Chicago

I had a MineLab Elite....looked good, but I didn't like it and sent it on it's way...even though it has it's own "forum". So, I guess like you, I'm going down the line to see if will work better for me. I have a few Tesoro's and a Fisher, but would like to add an ID machine to the lineup.

Tadam Were you going to buy used. A good price on a used Prizm v wouldn't be hard to find. If you didn't like the Prizm you could get your money back. Ron

I never cared for the elite myself. I prefer the older sov's, then the GT and the Excaliburs.(as far as BBS detectors go.)
Rusty,
Chicago

for some of us. I like comapring new detectors, to what I already have, almost as much as hunting for goodies! :)
Many of us don't get to the point of "mastering" these newer units, but I personally, don't need to master a detector, to know if I like it better than what I already have.
Most of these detectors [most] just have an added bell here and a whistle there. Take the CZ-6 is the CZ-70 REALLY that much different? Will it REALLY go deeper?
Not really, but the bells and whistles are cute! :)
Same goes for most "so called upgraded detectors" Most of us Sovereign users, still consider the Original and the XS the best of the bunch!
Now a few- the GTI garretts, the DFX, the Explorer [ maybe a few more] are truely something NEW!
Better? Maybe in some ways, but I still like my Sov XS and MXT the best so far! :)
SOME MAY STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH ME, AND THEY MAY BE RIGHT AND I MAY BE WRONG. { but, with a bit of humor here, I doubt it! :) ]

in trying a lower end unit, with a few missing advantages?
For instance, once you have owned a Troy X-5 you don't need to see what the X-3 will do- it will do less. :)

Most true Sovereign enthusiasts, like me, David at Dixie detectors, George Fatizzi [my competition buyer :) ] and Rick in ND [a very knowledgeable guy as is David on the Sov's
Like the old Originals and XS model the best.
With the Sov, the only thing I saw upgraded, was the price and the weight! :)
The other upgrades and more, we were already making ourselves! Minelab just used our ideas!
If you want a good ID detector, I suggest the MXT.