Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New deus kickin my butt!:rage:

I normally hunt ghosts towns in gold bearing ground with lots of iron and rusted can pieces. So far the deus has been ground balancing at 78-93 and can change from high to low end of that quickly. Used tracking and pumping. Of coarse this also applies to my favorite old park which I've hit a million times. The other day at the park pop tabs, bottle caps, pull rings all had a high tone all sound like good tones. Some stuff shoulda been in nickel range and gave a high tone? I was running deus fast freq 4 or 8 almost max sense or max sense. Reactivity 2, disc on 10-20.Trying to pull the deep silver. Trash is nothing the 9" can't handle easily. Totally stumped what to run in park and ghosts towns any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thx.

I believe Max sensitivity might have have something to do with it. I would back it down. Even at 90 the Deus will hit pretty deep. The Deus can show instability by skewing VDI numbers. But on the other hand bottle caps are the number one menace to Deus users. Identifying them takes practice and many times they just get dug.

Sens is not going to give you more depth it your TX power that will do that

I just recently read i guess ur not suppose to run max sense in tx3. Manual says max 80% in tx3. That was prob my issue!

The GB values fall into the area that causes the very phenomenon you described when using tracking.
Set a ground notch (3 settings to choose from). That will eliminate the problem in tracking mode.

Sometimes I have the same problem with pulltabs and screwcaps sounding like coins, but it's usually in trashy environments when this occurs. Hunting in 4 kHz helps knock out steel bottlecaps and deep iron, but some deep aluminum targets will sound like coins. Usually what gives it away is erratic VDI readings. Occasionally deep round pulltabs can ID in the 70s, but again the VDI reading is not as steady and confident as a round target. Even aluminum tokens give steady VDI readings, something about the shape of the pulltab or a smashed screwcap seem to skew the VDI readings a little bit.

Running sensitivity higher than 95 has never been beneficial to me, I usually keep it between 80 and 85 at the sites I hunt - you may only lose a half inch or so in depth all other parameters being equal, but some of this "lost depth" can be made up for by using less silencer and tweaking GB settings, among other things. Remember too that while in 4 kHz, you cannot operate in anything but TX=3. There will be some coins, especially long-buried pennies (in my area) that don't give steady VDI readings due to oxidation and other co-located items. Silver coins seem to be less prone to this, likely from being slightly more conductive and less prone to oxidation that copper.

There's also the audio component of a signal that can tell you if it's worth digging or not. Most coins have a "round sound" and this can be demonstrated by scanning a coin, listening to the audio, and then scanning a piece of copper wire and listening for the difference. Coins and other round items will have a characteristic "sweet sound", while oblong or sharp-edged targets will be more abrupt and inconsistent and will have different VDI readings on a 90-degree scan. Expect long-buried coins hidden in trash to have some variation on a 90-degree scan, but usually no more than 10 points of VDI (4 kHz used, expect less variation from higher operating frequencies). Recently I found several Wheat cents among what amounts to rubble which were buried 50-60 years. I dug a lot of co-located trash as well, and I remember one coin IDed at 69 in one direction (4 kHz), and read 63 on a 90-degree sweep. Use the audio component on these types of targets - not only will you dig more good targets, after time you will "just know" what to dig vs moving onto the next signal.

sens is for reporting the target back to the coil and then to your headphones...so I would use about 85-90 and if you can turn the Tx power to 2-3 on three you will use more of the battery also for depth try using the ractivity on 1 that is still faster then your minelab and then maby turn your audio up a bit to say 4-5 and then listen for the softer tones slow down a bit

As stated above High Sens makes the machine more sensitive to everything (soil mineralization, iron, trash, etc).....
and can hurt more than help in most cases.
Reactivity, Disc and TX effect depth the most but increasing TX to 3 will burn through your battery in half the time
I found out...
I run in similar conditions to yours and like little to no Disc and iron volume 2 so I can hear all the iron I pass over
and tweak Reactivity and Sens according to the iron present, Volume at 4 also amplifies the deep quiet tones so
they can be heard over the iron grunts...
I wouldn't recommend the 4k as it will miss any small gold you might pass over and 12k is where I run most of the
time as it's more sensitive to smaller targets and gold... 8k is effective too.
You can set your tone break points BUT you will need to adjust them depending on what freq you are running,
unless you set id norm, I think it is.
This is all broken down for you with excellent explanations on this site "Metal detecting world dot com" a must read
for any Deus user, I've read it a dozen times and learn a little something each and every time.

The only tabs I am digging these days are the "old" ones they are different... but the screw caps and I are still
bangin heads way too much, I'll find the magic "program" for them eventually or I'll get better aquainted with my
machine and my ears will be able to Disc them out.... I have noticed that they never pinpoint accurately so if my pinpointer
finds it, away from where the machine showed it's always a screw cap.....

It's getting better all the time my trash/treasure ratio improves every time I go out....
and I've already found 3 gold rings with this thing, I love it........

Hang in there and trust your ears, they are the best discriminator

hi the deus was designed as a tone id machine, with a lot of practice you can hear small changes in tone from trash to good target; I live in the uk were as you no the deus is king; xp raised the bar with the goldmaxx followed by gmp , then the deus, along with all the others . the common theme being tone id .I have found the ear will tune to each signal, slight change from trash to good/ the deus is great detector but is just a walking cane , it is how you use it/ learn its language and it will reward you. sorry there is no magic trash program its up to you, try full ws5 headphones much better for tones keep volume low nice soft round tones , we do hunt parks in the uk my best detector is the adx 100 works in trash better and can find stuff in coke lined paths were the deus struggles , ps coke is ash from old house fires.