Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEW Deus owner frustrated

crazyzook

Purchased the Deus about a month ago after doing my research and some reading in the forums. With only about 10 hrs on the machine I am not happy. Purchased Andy Sabicsh's book and just started reading it.
Some of the things that are driving me crazy are 1. Ground balancing the machine constantly, 2. Takes much to long to identify a good target, TID numbers are all over the place on most targets. 3. Digging lots of trash in the low 90's where I am expecting quarters or silver. 4. Hard to identify target size. Going to the Deus boot camp in Nov. and I hope it helps. Can't see putting down my CTX for the Deus at this point. I own the machine so I am not trying to get you Deus fans angry but would like some feedback, perhaps you have all experienced the same frustrations but with time have found it to be a valuable tool.

I use tracking 100% of the time.When you really want to start pushing the machine to its max then use manual.I dont feel a need.The vdi are fairly stable I found if you stick to one freq and learn the numbers.Switching freq changes the VDI.Learning to hear the size of the target will help with digging lots of garbage with instead of good signals.You can almost tell its a coin by how fast the signal drops off.Short,clean and round sound.Also pull the coil up off the ground and get an idea of the size of the target.Shuffling the coil backwards on a piece of junk the signal tends to break up.A good soilid target it usually wont break up as you shuffle the coil back.I find digging every target you get for the 1st few hundreed holes until you understand what the machine is telling you,and how it reacts in every condition.I do this with every machine I own and do very well.Ive yet run into a detector I couldnt figure out.Using other peoples methods does help..But just digging every target for awhile will give you the same info.The deus can be several detectors Im finding..Makes it really versatile.Good luck dont give up.You will get this. HH

I found the VDI on the Deus to be of little use when relic hunting. It loves to throw high numbers on iron. As far as ground balance, the Deus seems to be somewhat non-critical on that, use tracking.

The sounds are what the deus is all about. Try putting on some headphones and jusr listen for 10 hours or so, avoid looking at the VDI so much.

Go to You tube and find Deus videos, especially by Keith Southern - then google Keith and read what he has had to say on online forums about the Deus.

After all that you can make your decision.

The Deus is not a machine which is very good at telling you what denomination US coin is down there, onlymthat somewhere in all that iron lirks a non ferrous target. This is what they are interested in in Europe and the Deus is the detector which a majority of serious detectorists in Europe are using currently.

Good luck.

lytle78 said:
I found the VDI on the Deus to be of little use when relic hunting. It loves to throw high numbers on iron. As far as ground balance, the Deus seems to be somewhat non-critical on that, use tracking.

The sounds are what the deus is all about. Try putting on some headphones and jusr listen for 10 hours or so, avoid looking at the VDI so much.

Go to You tube and find Deus videos, especially by Keith Southern - then google Keith and read what he has had to say on online forums about the Deus.

After all that you can make your decision.

The Deus is not a machine which is very good at telling you what denomination US coin is down there, onlymthat somewhere in all that iron lirks a non ferrous target. This is what they are interested in in Europe and the Deus is the detector which a majority of serious detectorists in Europe are using currently.

Good luck.

Start with this video about the effects of properly GBing before you start hunting - it makes a huge difference for smaller and deeper targets while shallower ones become clearer and better VDI'ed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuANf3J3yg

VDIs at depth are not as reliable as some other machines, but like lylte said...audio is key. Remember too that a LOT of iron around a non ferrous target will tend to blend into the desired one and become a scratchy or clipped signal. Don't write those kinds of signals off in the beginning, the Deus will surprise you on these!

Try a lower freq with higher silencer settings in a tot lot for a couple of hours - Prog #8 I think is "dry beach" factory program that does a fine job of eliminating bottle caps and larger iron if this is what is bothering you...it has 4-tone audio and IDs US coins well...again Im not sure what type of hunting you do but out of the box it's dynamite!

HH & GL

Dig all good tones and learn what each is then you will get better at the sound and how it breaks out from what I have seen for future use. I dig it all just to see. Afterall, good exercise!

I think all the answears are right...first we do use very little disc so we hear a lot and use the silencer when used at -1 you are going to hear a lot of small iron and trash mixed. It is really best used for areas with iron..If you are hunting trash and iron then the machine will have to be setup in a way that may not be helpful for relics but great for parks. GB yes on my machine it is up and down and you can try tracking and see if that helps.

It will take you more than 10 hours to learn how to use this beauty. I thought that I had made a bad decision after that amount of time.. compared to my Etrac.

Me personally, I mostly hunt old sites. 90 % of the time, I am grabbing the Deus now. I still love the E-trac, but you need the quick response to sniff out the goodies in the iron.

This may sound annoying but, I would take the CTX out with you, and compare targets all day. Keep them both on, bring a buddy if you have to. It helped me out and showed me that the Deus and Minelab were different animals. There were a few targets I found with the Deus where the Etrac locked up, with the X5 on. That's the best separation I can get with my Etrac... and it was still missing things.

Before long, you'll know what a coin sounds like.

You still have to use the old tricks of the trade. If you get a screaming target and raise your coil a foot off the ground, and you still hear it.... it is big, or large deep iron. The pinpoint is fainter on deeper targets,

Drop your frequency down and avoid those numbers in the low to mid 90's. Use a 4khz program next to the one your hunting with to check those low 90's signals.... If it drops to a number in the 80's and it is fairly stable on 4khz, dig. If silver coins are coming up in the mid 80's, why do I want to dig junk the the 90's?

Neither machine is perfect. You can turn on the CTX and go... but I find on many sites, I can set the GB to 84 in my area and off I go. Once in a while it gets wacky, but it is usually only temporary. GB Notch helps too.

As for TID, again... that doesn't interest me as much as tone consistency. I hunt in full tones and 0 disc. TID is not to be trusted. :) If you are hunting parks and stuff, I can see your dilemma. Minelabs are so good at ID'ing, you can be lazy all day,

You can argue that the Minelabs ID bottlecaps better. "I walk over caps all day"... That's what I used to say. The problem is, when you get that lazy mentality in crowncap heavy areas, you miss out on a lot of items. Buttons, gold, etc.
You 'll never have bottlecaps falling into the gold range on the Deus. You will find gold and gold plated stuff more often. Screwtops screw you, no matter what detector you use. In my area, if we don't dig those screwtop signals, you miss out on LC's, tokens and some silver. Thankfully, the shallow ones can be avoided in older parks.

You will learn what the sounds are telling you soon enough. Just hang in there.

I can't thank you all enough for your help. My biggest problem is me, when I finally decide to put more into learning the machine I am sure I will do fine. Today I am leaving the CTX home and going out with ONLY the Deus.
Again thanks for all of your valuable advice.

These are all great suggestions. One thing that helped me tremendously was taking a few coins with me and putting them on the ground. Running over them at different heights to hear how they sound. That sweet, almost warble a coin gives when it is almost out of reach are the ones that get your blood pounding once you tune in to them. You can't ignore the loud ones because it will sound off on targets five or six inches deep with a bang. The sound is where it is at with a Deus. Good luck, keep up posted.

Don
HH

I know where you are at, I have felt the same way, I will have a good day, then a bad day. I have had several people tell me that it really takes a while to get the hang of this machine when coming from a Minelab . I am just now after more than a month starting to hear the sounds correctly and then its not every time. I am thinking its more like a hundred hours on this machine to get it right. Is one machine better than the other, I do not know, but I do know they are very different. Hang in there!

I first thought I made a mistake when I got my Deus. When I bought it, I had been using a Sovereign GT.
Once I learned to set it up, the Deus w/9" coil detected the coins in my 5yr. old test area deeper than the Sovereign w/10" tornado coil.

When I took it to nail infested site that I pounded with the Sovereign, I dug tons of flat buttons and several LC's that were missed not to mention other relics.
A school football field from the 40's that I had given up on finding any more silver in, was like virgin territory again. Over the past 2 years, I dug 40-50 dimes and a few silver quarters, buffalo and war nickles, silver and gold rings.
Maybe I would have found them with other machines, but I didn't have to search at a snails pace. I tend to cover ground quickly and the Deus handles my style of detecting nicely.

The Deus makes believers out of most people that give it a chance.

Quote :The Deus makes believers out of most people that give it a chance. What he said.Your in good hands with all these folks willing to help you.Comming from a machine with really accurate VDI like the ctx and E-trac it can be harder I believe to learn a machine thats more sound based than Visual(all Tho I feel the VDI is fairly accurate on the Deus).Im finding it easier to learn the machine running a 2 tone program and digging everything but iron.Im starting to get a real feel how good targets sound ,rather than watching the Numbers on the screen.The fact you can set the deus up to function and sound a few different ways really helped the learning curve for myself.I set up a couple programs to sound and perform as close as possible to another brand/model detector I use,and it helped me learn the deus.Good luck to you friend.HH

crazyzook said:
Purchased the Deus about a month ago after doing my research and some reading in the forums. With only about 10 hrs on the machine I am not happy. Purchased Andy Sabicsh's book and just started reading it.
Some of the things that are driving me crazy are 1. Ground balancing the machine constantly, 2. Takes much to long to identify a good target, TID numbers are all over the place on most targets. 3. Digging lots of trash in the low 90's where I am expecting quarters or silver. 4. Hard to identify target size. Going to the Deus boot camp in Nov. and I hope it helps. Can't see putting down my CTX for the Deus at this point. I own the machine so I am not trying to get you Deus fans angry but would like some feedback, perhaps you have all experienced the same frustrations but with time have found it to be a valuable tool.

Feel free to call me or your dealer for help if things dont get better. Be glad to help.

I passed over an area close to the edge of a soccer field this past weekend where I specifically know I had gone over with my etrac, the signal on the Etrac came in at the copper penny range but it was a larger area about 8'ft by 8'ft I raised the coil about a foot still banged loud thought it was a large piece of metal, so I passed it up,, this time I had the Deus and passed over it,, I could here every copper penny in the ground,, I know copper pennies are not valuable but my point is the Deus went off like a machine gun, I dug so many copper pennies I had to stop and give the grass a rest, it looked like a hog had been rutting, I will go back and get the rest later,, surprised the heck out of me.. and the reactivity was only at 1.. I suggest reading Andy's book with a high lighter pen and note the areas that pertain to you the most, and go back and read again so you can soak up what he is telling you, no way are you going to comprehend everything in it at first.. This machine will excel where the Minelab will not and vis-versa.... Quote:Learn the art of patience. Apply discipline to your thoughts when they become anxious over the outcome of a goal. Impatience breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates confidence, decisiveness, and a rational outlook, which eventually leads to success.
Brian Adams

There is a learning curve and I have hunted an area that I hunted to death. Took the Deus and found nothing but I am not going to give up till I fully undrstand this machine and when I do I bet I will find something of value or age

Great Quote!!! and so true. I really haven't given myself the time to learn the Deus, I would go out with the Deus and use it for 15 minutes and then get my CTX out of the car, The last 2 days I left the CTX home and went out alone and have started to understand the machine. Pulled a V nickel 2 indians and a barber dime all on Basic 1. where I have walked with my CTX a hundred times. I have a new appreciation for my purchase. I did buy Andy's book and have started reading it and will also be attending his bootcamp next week in New Jersey. Thanks for your help...John

John,
Great to hear that you are getting used to the Deus.
Congrats on the good finds.
The Deus takes awhile to get the ear tuned to, but once you do.............
Let us know how the basecamp goes.

HH

crazyzook said:
Great Quote!!! and so true. I really haven't given myself the time to learn the Deus, I would go out with the Deus and use it for 15 minutes and then get my CTX out of the car, The last 2 days I left the CTX home and went out alone and have started to understand the machine. Pulled a V nickel 2 indians and a barber dime all on Basic 1. where I have walked with my CTX a hundred times. I have a new appreciation for my purchase. I did buy Andy's book and have started reading it and will also be attending his bootcamp next week in New Jersey. Thanks for your help...John

Yea,,I'm having to remind myself not just on a new machine but a lot of other things as well,, thought it might help someone else.. :unsure: