Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEW Deus XP owner

StephenA

I have owned and used about every worthwhile detector you can name. Most of them I have not stayed with long enough to really do them justice except my old Fisher CZ 7A Pro which I still use on the beachs. I decided to buy an XP and really settle down with it due to what I have read in the forum and the weight of the detector. I bought mine with the 11" coil on advice from a dealer. My primary hunting is open field relic hunting with a little bit of park hunting thrown in. My question is how is the best way to start with this detector? I plan on hunting some sand piles and wood chip playgrounds to speed up the learning curve. Then I will move on to old home places and old town yards. I would like advice on what program to start with and how to progress in getting used to the detector. This may sound a bit elementary to most here but I always believe in making the most of your resources and listening to those that have been there before you. Thank you in advance!
Steve

Stick with the Basic 1 or Basic 2 program until you get comfortable with what the detector is telling you. It will definitely speed up the learning curve. I also recommend getting Andy's book.

Focus on the tones and dig it all while you are learning. Then start to pay attention to the horseshoe for depth and the conductivity bar in addition to the tones. I found the hardest part of the learning curve was to trust what I hear, not what I read. VDI numbers are nice but there are so many variables to skew them. Unless I am cherry picking dimes and quarters in a tot lot, I tend to ignore the VDI's.
Definitely get the book and a high quality screen protecter for the control box AND headset. With dirty hands, they scratch easily.

Buy Andys book!

Patience is a must, but for me not that bad of a learning curve......

Jim