Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Excalibur user, I've a few things to say about it.

Bence

Hi to all and...

I'm new to the Excalibur (2) and hace used it once so far. It seems to work good and the performance is not bad though there's one really anoying thing about it, and I would like to check with others if they are having the same problem as I have no point of refference for this unit:

I adjust the threshold so it's not too loud/not too quiet etc. When I pass over a non-ferrous target, if it's rejected, the threshold tone rises but the volume stays the same, great, everything working as normal. But when I pass over a ferrous target, even with the disc down to 1, the threshold lowers in pitch as it should BUT it's a lot louder and becomes annoying. I have to reset the disc mode by flicking to ppmode then back to disc, which is fine, but in high junk areas this would be a pain. My question is, is this normal for an Excalibur?

My excal2 does the same thing and my older one does not I have learn to set the threshold so I can barley hear the tone when it drops off .I have put targets out while I am water hunting to see if it misses them but it does not. it seems to be killer on gold .My older excal has a Wot hard wired on it and I switch back and forth quite allot . Maybe I am not going over gold with my Wot but finding targets I really like the excal2 maybe its just the headphones they are way loader than my gray ghosts. it is annoying but setting the threshold seems to work for me HH RonC

Same for me with the Excal2, but I learned if you lift the coil streight up out of the water rapidly it "falses" non-ferous, and the low growl goes away. I never have had to switch modes to clear it. Nature of the beast.... but it is a KILLER machine. I even use mine for relic hunting etc, put a nickel in your shoe, and use that to clear the iron nulls if you arent hunting in water. PS I dont have to worry about getting rained on. HH Joe

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that, I'm used to gold prospecting where setting the threshold is critical and you have to listen to extreemly faint signals.

Well, I went out with the Excalibur 2 today for about four hours and found a 9ct ring right at the end. Finding a ring doesn't happen too often for me and the way it performed today I'm very pleased with it. I had to do a bit of a mod to it though; adding an Otto middle sized lower shaft to it because the standard shaft that comes with if is WAY too short. It took me half the day to get it to attach but it's not bad now.

I just don't understand why Minelab can't just make it a tad bit longer in the first place? Anyhow, turning the threshold down made the low pitch tone bearable but, I like to hunt with a slight audable threshold so sometimes I just put up with the noise but most times I waved the shovel over it.

Overall, great detector, I can't lift my hands but I might get better with more detecting exersize.

Way to go with the ring!!

I turn mu threshhold all the way down to nothing since it will false on iron a n others an where i hunt the sand has bearings from the sand hoppers at pit an they dump it in lake.They will make your machinr go nuts an if you have a pi might as well get out not happing.My excal discrimantion knob went south on me to day having to send it back lost all my pull tabs an all gold ana screwscaps not good .But still under warrenty 2 months old crazy but minelab was quick on telling me to get it there thanks dick for the help.

If you turn the threshold down and to compensate... turn the sensitivity up to where you couldn't have it before, would that get you extra depth? Either way, I might try that, I ran the sens in 6 so it can still go higher if by turning the threshold down might get rid of the falsing... I hope you know what I'm trying to say, so hipshote28 you gave me a bit of an idea... to try.

It works you still everything you want justt a few burps not the buzz you get when you false on somthing works like a charm i set my sense on 6 works

Mine does the same thing and I asked about it awhile ago on the forum. The forum experts said that was normal. I just get the coil next to the scoop and it re-sets and the growl is gone. That way I have the settings, which are really important, where they should be according to Gulf Hunter and am not worrying about if I am missing something. It's such an easy and fast fix I couldn't see trying anything else...Jim

RONC(OR) said:
My excal2 does the same thing and my older one does not

Does that mean that the original model Excalibur did not do this? Why did minelab change this for the second model?

I use my digging tool as well now, as setting the threshold is not good enough. I can't set it anywhere for it to be conveniant to suit both low ferrous and non-ferrous tone. If I set it so that the ferrous threshold is not annoying, then the non-ferrous tone will dissappear completely.

I HOPE MINELAB IS LISTENING because they've got a really good detector with the Excalibur 2 and I love it, but it could have been better. It's just a matter of what they shouldn't have done instead of what they should have done. It's the same with my Explorer SE, some features actually end up setting the detector back.

grumpyolman said:
Mine does the same thing and I asked about it awhile ago on the forum. The forum experts said that was normal. I just get the coil next to the scoop and it re-sets and the growl is gone. That way I have the settings, which are really important, where they should be according to Gulf Hunter and am not worrying about if I am missing something. It's such an easy and fast fix I couldn't see trying anything else...Jim

Yup, that's what I do, but in areas where there's lots of junk, I just put up with it for a while, waving the coil near the scoop all the time get's irritating for my ears, only in areas of high ferrous junk.

i was reading some where that the null will come back to either a higher tone or a lower tone depending on the target that caused it to null in the first place . and the lower pitch tone means it nulled on iron and the higher pitch tone means it nulled on a non ferrous item . which i understand , but why on earth would minelab not adjust the output of those two different threshold tones to at least be the same volume level . it is a nice feature if it wasn't such a pain in the neck . im sure there is a dash-pot on the circuit board for adjusting the gain for either threshold tone . i wish minelab would address this issue as i am sure it could easily be adjusted to match the volume of the non ferrous threshold tone. my older excall did the same thing but it seems to be a bigger difference in volume on my excall 2 . it drives me crazy but i wouldn't use any thing other than an excall.

Yeah, it's a catch 22 isn't it? Minelab have got us by the :jump::jump:

Does the Excalibur II have Ground Trac(auto trac) in All Metal, the same as the Sovereign GT has ??

Just my opinion..... but i feel that the low tones are not really louder than the higher pitch tones. but that as our hearing gets weakned with age, high noise job, etc. the first to go is the higher freq. tones. so they would appear to be lower volume. heres an experiment..... set your threshold tone with a ferous tone (low) than go over a non ferous target i bet its now barely audible. the headpones could effect the output volume between high and low freq. tones also.

HAPPY HUNTING !!

mikeB

I understand, but I'm 26 years old and I have exellent hearing, and I still say the ferrous tone is way too loud, however, you are right, the low tones are easier heard, but you could've seen this problem coming out of the factory. If the lower tones are easier heard, then they should've compensated for it. They do this in musical recording all the time.

Try turning the threshold down until you just lose it, hunt like that. You still get the depth, but not the constant up and down tones.