Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Explorer se pro user with a question about the threshold setting

gfeulner

Hello everyone- After using Whites detectors for the last 25 yrs I finally decided to switch over to Minelab. I got my Explorer SE Pro in the mail yesterday. When I was playing with the settings I noticed that the threshold hum is only audible from 8-40. Anything below that and the threshold goes completely silent. Is this normal? I'm 66 yrs old but thankfully have very sensitive hearing and would like the threshold a couple of notches lower. I have a good RAT headphone and of course can lower the threshold by adjusting it's volume but I would think that the threshold would still be audible down to at least 3 or so for more flexability. This is whether I'm in factory preset or the program I have set up. Any advice would be appreciated. Gerry

not sure of correect answer but my se threshold can be lowered to just barly audieably to me could just be my hearing and not sure of threshold sensitivity setting that gets me there but i can barly hear it but its there thats the way i like it so i can hear if it nulls and what the ground is doing so as i can set my se to best work with ground conditions hope i helped some have fun the se is a great detector i recently came of an xlt to the explorer se pro took some learning but not too hard to learn and its awsome

Thanks Teleman. My number 8 setting is still a little loud for me and I can adjust the volume on the headphones to compensate. Not a big deal. Just thought it odd that Minelab would have 40 levels with the lowest 7 having no threshold. I could see maybe the first 5 but leave 2 more (6&7) for us guys with very sensitive ears! Anyway I found out by perusing the past messages that this is the way it's set up. Thanks, Gerry

threshold is made to hear discriminated targets that without threshold you would not hear., you can make it just audible or not audible at all if you detect without discrimination in ferrous or just not to hear at all if you dont want its will not hurt your detector you just will not know if it was anything like iron --or discriminated item under coil. good luck Stasys

It depends on your HEADPHONES as to the number you may be able to reduce it down to and still hear a threshold. My pair of old Whites headphones looses the threshold at 9, the Koss... at 7, my Pro golds... 5 or 6. I have the volume high which i can turn down on the phones.... but your numbers sound correct and normal. Obviously the lower you can go the better targets break the threshold. Im sure you have read one or two of Jeff Fosters books on the whites which give excellent info on detectors period. Not your first rodeo so im sure me telling you to set it barely audible isnt news. I like the threshold hum it tells me when im over a disc target, but in the fields or woods or beach it tells me when im in an area that there have been lots of activity. I slow down and work those areas. If there is a steady threshold i move along quicker. You can adjust the THRESHOLD TONE to make it almost sound like a Whites... thou i keep mine on 8. You can also adjust the AUDIO PITCH HOLD.... as you go over a target the threshold changes to the last target. Ive used this in the desert when trying to listen to weak signals. You arent out of Idaho are you Gerry? Hope this helped my man.

Dew

You have to be careful not to get that threshold up to high mitch or your weak signals CANT break thur with a tone. Take a look at page 25 in your explorer manual. I noticed yesterday even with a good pair of headphones there was a lot of outside noise and my usual setting i could barely hear the threshold. I found that if i didnt have a threshold at all i would be getting a tone... but the problem is you need that null to determine if its coming off of iron, a weak signal, or falsing. Just one more notch up ... and it bothered me because i was to attentive to the threshold and not paying as much attention to targets especially the weak tones. Also the threshold sometimes can tell you if you are getting EMI that you arent noticing because of your disc level... at lot of breaking nulls with some false signals is a pretty good sign of that. Ive flipped mine down to AM and found i was getting tons of EMI in parks before i wouldnt have noticed had it not been for the threshold BLINKING. You can loose depth when this occurs.

Dew