Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New F75 user needs pinpointing help

Bill D. (VA)

Only been out once with it so far, but had difficulty pinpointing in an area loaded with small iron. Could never seem to get a good sounding target down to a narrow and sharp pinpoint. Always ended up with a very broad tone. I was trying to get the coil as close as I could the where I thought the target was before squeezing the trigger, but it didn't seem to work for me. My partner seems to have no problem with it, but even with his instruction I couldn't get the hang of it. Any suggestions from you experienced users??

wiggle the coil backwards and when it stops the target is right in front of the coil, if needed mark with the tip then do the same from another angle

If you are not used to that type of coil, pinpointing will take a good outing or two to get it down. Particularly, when starting out with it on a pretty trashy spot. The thing that worked best for me was to throw some coins and trash items down on the ground and practice pinpointing. And at the time of getting my F 75, I had almost 35 years of detecting experience, but not with that type coil. It will come and won't take long. HH jim tn

n/t

Bill:

Did you notice the little round spot on top of the coil. It is just in front of the rod connection joint. On the cross bars and center piece of coil. That is the sweet spot.

Move off the initial target. Pull the trigger for pinpoint, moving over area the target at the same time. You will hear an accelerated sound as you approach the target. Then move the coil slightly forward and back, and side to side..You will hear just a bit more sound as you hit the sweet spot.Don't be afraid to move the coil front back to front of target and side to side a little.Keeping your eye on the sweet spot..You can release the trigger and pull it again as you move coil and zero right in on the target. You may be off a little the first few times but you will soon learn the sound when it's right under the little marked spot.

The coil can be tricky to pinpoint with at first, especially if your not usted to DD coils.....heavy iron makes it alot harder, & you may have to get the hang of it in an open area first......
One thing you may wanna try in thick trash is just raise the coil up a little so you still get the signal & "X" over the target without pulling the trigger. With a coil that size, in a bed of square nails it's tough to narrow down one item with the trigger as you may have 3 nails under the coil at the same time. So, for me I usually don't even bother with the trigger pinpoint unless I care to get an idea on depth.....
HH,
Bill

was disappointed in the DD coil's separation ability, which is one of the main reasons I purchased the F75. I put down a dime with 2-3 small (1/2") pieces of rusty iron within a couple inches of the coin. It would not pick up the dime unless you happened to sweep from one particular direction. I tested with my MXT with the stock coil, and it had no problem picking the dime up from any direction. And I bet the iron halo effect with in-ground hunting will make separation even more of a problem. Depth with both machines was about the same too with similar sensitivities. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong; otherwise it looks like my MXT will perform better in the iron. I'll admit the F75 will get a little better depth on a single target in clean ground, but since most of my colonial sites are loaded with iron I'm not sure this machine will help much. Heading out later today with my partner who's an experienced F75 user, so hopefully I can figure out what's going on.

in order to get the F75/T2 to work well in iron. You didn't mention your settings, but on the F75 a disc setting of around 6 with high sensitivity into the 90's & 1 tone should give you better results. That disc setting should break up nails, but it takes alot of practice & you must rely on the audio differences. After awhile you'll hear the audio difference in a "goodie" target amid all the noise. I wouldn't put too much stock in airtests.......maybe some trial & error at an iron rich site of yours would help? I dug alot of "iffy" things that turned out to be bent nails at first,,,,,,,then I dug a 1776 1/2 real' & got the confidence to never look back. Too bad you didn't live closer, as one of my cellar holes are the ideal spots for a demonstration.........
HH,
Bill

How about utilizing the depth meter on the ID face. :shrug:

That will show you the peak minimum depth, and that would be under the center mark on the coil.

As you sweep back in forth over the target in pin point mode, look at the meter. It should help you out a bit.

How about a little depth bar readout instead of say the "confidence" thing which I have never looked at?. In other words, replace confidence with a quick NUMBERS idea of depth on a coin-sized target without having to pull the trigger:nerd: Yea, I meant a NUMBERS in inches meter not cheezy squares for all those copying this out of context in a sorry attempt to make me look bad........
Bill

Bill - I was using those exact settings except for 2 tone instead of one. I decided to back off and use the 10" concentric yesterday. Seemed to be a little easier to use. Was not as much trouble recognizing tones and pinpointing was not as difficult. Like I mentioned earlier, I probably need to stick to some cleaner sites for starters and slowly familiarize with this machine before venturing back into the heavy iron. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll get too frustrated.

This post is not directed at you Steve......
But, 3 little squares are not a helpful feature for me (& a "depth meter" for my way of thinking is numbers in inches) or even centimeters for Europe. I have no confidence in "Confidence" bars either, & would bet most everyone (even the biggest F75 supporters) would agree. So, for those cutting & pasting my words out of context all over the internet with glee to all 3 of your viewers:laugh:....Sorry, I should have known I really need to constantly go into far better details since I have so many people who just love to read things into every word I have ever typed (but I'm sorta flattered I have attained such a following) ;) If you want to read into things, there's a nice cover article in Western & Eastern Treasures this month......
My idea was (& feel free to copy this anywhere you want), erase those 2 "bars" things on the left of the LCD that nobody uses (not even the know it all experts). That free's up space for another small number in inches or centimeters there. OK?
It may not be practical anyhow as in trash you'd have all kinds of numbers flashing at you, but again I was just quickly trying to come up with something useful for me for that section of the screen. Anyone has any other ideas for that area...fire away. First texas reads this forum closely before any others you can count on that.....
How long have I owned an F75? Longer than most anyone taking my words out of context as a matter of fact as mine is a prototype......
Findmall gets 8 million views a month, & these are easily the biggest & best Fisher forums in the world nobody can even come close to (that's why some folks read into every single word with fine toothed combs). When your on the top of the mountain you always have jealous people trying to take you down a peg. Old hat to me now :)
HH,
Bill