Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Fors CoRe issues - need advice

rlt9999

I bought a new Fors CoRe last week and had it out over the weekend. The unit I got doesn't seem to be functioning properly. I don't think that it is ground balancing correctly, the pinpoint depth isn't even in the ballpark, and all targets that ID as an 82 with a nice tone are rusty iron. I have a lot of experience with other detectors in the past including the Deus and the iron problem is the one that concerns me the most. When I see a target of 82 ID and the tone sounds good even when I swing over it at 90 degrees that turns out to be a rusty nail or bolt it seems that something isn't right. Any of my other machines would give a false high tone one way with a high wrap around ID and sweeping at 90 degrees the target will disappear most of the time. Not this machine.

The issue with target depth was apparent when I tried hunting a school ground that I've found a lot of shallow clad in the past. I got a target that ID at 91 and in pinpoint it showed 9cm deep but the quarter was actually right on top of the ground. The next quarter that I found also ID at 91 and pinpoint said it was 20cm deep but it was 2 inches or less in the plug.

For those that are going to ask, I was running the CoRe in D13 with all stock settings. I appreciate any input on this machine. I bought it figuring that it would be great at the iron infested sites I'm usually at but I am disappointed in the way this unit is running. I'm ready to return it for a refund.

Hello rlt-

It does sound like it is not operating properly from my experience. When I get a solid 82 TID I can bet the family fortune it is always a US penny. A 83-84 usually yields a US penny that is copper. As far as the depth indicator when you get a reading do you when pinpointing also touch the ground with the bottom of the coil to get as close as you can to the target to get a better depth indicator. I have found sometimes the depth indicator when swinging at about 1.5" to 2" above the ground when touching yields very close depth signals that prove true when dug.

Now for the 82 you got then dug a piece of rust iron I cannot comment other than that has never happened with me personally. I usually get low gruntle tones when I get rusty nails or screws and TID's in the high teens to low 20's usually.

Did you when digging make sure there was no penny in the hole too? I guess did you use a pin pointer to scour the hole to make sure there was no other target in the hole.

Thanks for the reply mtsheron,

Yes, I always use a hand held pin pointer as well as sweeping the hole again with the detector and nothing else is found in the hole with the rusty iron except maybe more rusty iron. I too was expecting these 82 ID hits to be pennies and it isn't just a couple of them but every time I got an 82 target at this site it has turned out to be rusty iron. Nails, bolts, nuts, etc. One of the targets that rang in at 82 both ways was a rusty hinge that measured about 2" x 7".

As for the depth display issue, the dealer I bought it from contacted the factory and told me that the depth estimate is calibrated to be accurate for a 1 Euro coin. Looking up the size of the 1 Euro vs the US quarter I see that they are within 1mm of being the same size. The quarter that I found that depth reported as 9cm when it actually was on top of the ground I would have expected to get a double tone when sweeping over it, that's what I would have gotten with any of my other machines using a DD coil.

Anyone else care to comment about their experience with the Core and the way mine is working?

I'm thinking what you are experiencing is not really knowing what a good target sounds like yet on the machine. It will take a little time to get that down. The many that have learned the good target sound will rarely dig what you are talking about. I've mentioned before here, when you discover something, while it is still in the ground, investigate it for right now with the coil, not the shovel. Study it. Almost always if it goes away while moving around the good sound it won't be worth digging or it might even turn into what it really is, iron. Watch and listen, the nuances of the machine are the best I've ever used. Keep at it!

The OP stated the tone was a "nice tone" which now I will admit what is nice to one person is not to another...can be a bit subjective to a degree. I will say that if while going at the target you get a constant solid tone and it registers lets say an "82" in a few directions of approach and it is still hitting trash then there may be a issue. I have gotten trash that would jump all over the place and even get a few spotty hard hits and blip onto a TID that would make you think just maybe it could be a good target but in effect not what I dug.

Now could this be what the OP is describing.....possibly. Hard to tell. I would do a test garden and bury some things in a known location and test the detector myself.

Cores meter denotes centimeters not inches and can't be changed btw.

One thing you will notice. If you get say a hit, sweepmthemtarget, DON'T hover the coil.---doing so will cause the unit to read better/give better tone on some iron.

mtsheron said:
The OP stated the tone was a "nice tone" which now I will admit what is nice to one person is not to another...can be a bit subjective to a degree. I will say that if while going at the target you get a constant solid tone and it registers lets say an "82" in a few directions of approach and it is still hitting trash then there may be a issue. I have gotten trash that would jump all over the place and even get a few spotty hard hits and blip onto a TID that would make you think just maybe it could be a good target but in effect not what I dug.

Now could this be what the OP is describing.....possibly. Hard to tell. I would do a test garden and bury some things in a known location and test the detector myself.
The one issue a lot of people have or had with these machines was learning the audio. The most telling audio I've ever heard but you have to listen. A lot of people haven't ran a machine like these that are so nuanced hearing wise. I still say stick with it and listen carefully, it will teach you it's language.

JFlynn said:
mtsheron said:

The one issue a lot of people have or had with these machines was learning the audio. The most telling audio I've ever heard but you have to listen. A lot of people haven't ran a machine like these that are so nuanced hearing wise. I still say stick with it and listen carefully, it will teach you it's language.

It is that way with any new machine from which you are not accustomed to. I came from a Deus and the tones were different but a hard solid hit is a hard solid hit audible wise no matter the machine. I do agree with you on the learning curve of every new machine but I have to say coming to a Fors I found it almost immediately discernible and the learn curve hardly apparent. Maybe I just took to the Fors right away. Now the Deus with all it's intricate ways and abilities was a hard machine to master or even just get decently proficient.

I think if a test garden is built by the OP this mystery of whether the Fors is working properly or not can be found.

Thanks for the replies guys! Just to clarify, all the targets that ID 82 and turn out to be rusty iron sound like good solid targets and the ID is a solid 82 that doesn't bounce around.
After about a dozen emails exchanged with the dealer he is convinced that there is a problem with this machine and has issued me a full refund. Maybe I'll try a Racer next time.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

GroundScanner said:
Your dealer is a great guy. Good luck what ever you buy. GS

Yes, I agree! He has been very responsive and pleasant during the whole process. I only wish that he was here in the states instead of in Turkey.

I've only dug 1 large plate of iron so far piece the CoRe that was giving me a solid hit. Not as solid as a coin but solid enough for me to investigate.

mtsheron said:
I hate to hear that. Not worth trying another unit??????

Yeah, I'd try another one and probably will sooner or later. It just would have been too expensive for me to ship this one back to Turkey for an exchange.

rlt9999 said:
mtsheron said:

Yeah, I'd try another one and probably will sooner or later. It just would have been too expensive for me to ship this one back to Turkey for an exchange.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you use a dealer here in the US? Or won't any dealers in the US step forward and help you? I hope everything works out for you.

Jeff (or) said:
rlt9999 said:
mtsheron said:

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you use a dealer here in the US? Or won't any dealers in the US step forward and help you? I hope everything works out for you.

For convenience I bought it through Amazon & paid with my store card. I bought the Pro package and the dealer that I bought it from had it for $999 with free shipping. The only dealer from the USA that had the Pro package was a well known dealer from Florida and they want $1399 for it through Amazon.

rlt9999 said:
Jeff (or) said:
rlt9999 said:
mtsheron said:

For convenience I bought it through Amazon & paid with my store card. I bought the Pro package and the dealer that I bought it from had it for $999 with free shipping. The only dealer from the USA that had the Pro package was a well known dealer from Florida and they want $1399 for it through Amazon.

It is strange how it sells on Amazon from the FL dealer that I know you speak of for that price and if you buy it from them direct via their web site it is I believe $895 all day with free shipping if you call them. Can't figure out why such a price change????

I wondered why the $400 markup myself but won't pursue it here because the dealer is a forum sponsor here. All I know is that my detector was shipped from Turkey on the 7th and delivered on the 9th. Pretty amazing service if you ask me. And I heard from the dealer in Turkey today, after mentioning that I was wanting to try the Racer Pro he sold me one for a $100 discount for the trouble I had with the Core that I got.

rlt9999 said:
I wondered why the $400 markup myself but won't pursue it here because the dealer is a forum sponsor here. All I know is that my detector was shipped from Turkey on the 7th and delivered on the 9th. Pretty amazing service if you ask me. And I heard from the dealer in Turkey today, after mentioning that I was wanting to try the Racer Pro he sold me one for a $100 discount for the trouble I had with the Core that I got.

That's awesome! Let us know how the Racer works out.

New member here - Having the same problem with my Fors CoRe - Have had the machine for 2 weeks, about 20 hours use on it.

Took my CoRe out yesterday- Very old home site, first trip to this site with the CoRe - lots of iron - using 11x7 coil - kept hitting targets with IDs in the 80s, strong clear tones every time... Different angles, never changed the tone.

Dug 9 horse shoe halves that hit in the 80s. Several pieces of flat, 2-3" rusty iron that came up in the high 80s low 90s. All of this iron had a tone and ID that I could not pass up digging.

I tried Di2 and Di3 - hoping that my ears were just not educated yet, or maybe because the ground was very wet after snow melt and rain, making the rusty iron impossible to disc. I would go over the target in different directions, hit the target from front to back with the coil (seems to work on bottle caps), but I did not notice any break in the tone. Cranked the ID Mask up to 40... Didn't seem to help either. This was not the case with all iron, which was the odd thing - I was getting loads of low grunt iron. Eventually I just got out my old machine to disc my targets before digging.

I was also noticing a hell of a lot of chatter coming from the machine, haven't had that problem before. I was very near a rock quarry with heavy machinery and radios - Which I assumed was causing the chatter.

I am not ready to give up on the machine, but, after reading this post I am very concerned that I got a bad one. I am hoping to take the CoRe back to the same site to see if I am missing something in the tones. I really hope that this is the case.

Also - Yes, the depth indicator is way off. Will come up 30+cm, dig a deep plug, find the target in the first 3 inches of the plug more often than not. Might be a hot spot on the coil that will give a more accurate depth, some seemed to be spot on while many were seemingly way off. VCO is very telling though, don't bother with the depth display IMHO.

Any input, advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Alan