Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Garret AT pro pointer and learning curve

detectin4fun

I picked up a Garrett At pro pointer a little over a week ago. I worked through the settings on various metals and setting levels to learn how it was going to work for me. I had a few times where the carrot would begin beeping and buzzing without being near any metal. I was not able to turn off or reset it so I would remove the battery wait and reinstall. Believing it was something I may had been doing with the on/off setting button that caused the problem. Going out my first day hunt on a warm day here in Ohio with the AT pro on my belt I was happy with the depths and the vibration making the windy day sound muffling not a problem for me. When on my fourth or fifth target the full time sound and vibration came back and would not turn off. I removed the battery thinking I would have to again reset the stuck AT. It was not correcting the problem. With the supplied Eveready 9 lives battery in hand I thought maybe I'm was mistaking a problem of a weak battery for a defective AT. I put a good alkaline battery in and it was working like I expected. I'm guessing the supplied battery was not in good shape from the shelf. I had used it only a few hours at most, not near the expected 30 hour life of a battery. Being a new AT user I'm hoping the probe I bought may had been around awhile and the 9 volt battery was about gone when I bought it. The AT has great depth and with it I was able to detect my many pop cans I dug that day at a good depth.

Went out for a hunt in the mulch Wednesday with a new alkaline battery installed it in my AT it functioned well. the supplied battery was the problem. As in another thread stated change out the supplied battery once your home with you new pointer. I was able to reduce the time locating targets with the sound vibration mode and push button making it easy to turn it on and off faster than my old pointer. I'm Happy with my more efficent At pointer. I found quarter a few dimes and as always some trash.

I actually use two pin-pointers and I understand your frustration. I always keep extra battery's as I'm always giving some out to someone in the group if I'M on a group hunt. Let me share my experiences with the new Whites TRX which I believe is pretty equal to your Garret AT pointer. I also have the black Garret pin pointer. I have found the TRX just too sensitive in trashy parks and it is much easier to use the old black Garret PP. Now you can ratchet or lower the sensitivity of the TRX if you find it falling. I suspect Garret has that option in your Garret AT. I actually prefer the lower sensitivity in parks as I was digging the smallest pieces of wire. I have now got a good system and matched the sensitivity of the PP with the detector. Now the Whites TRX goes deep, I only need that when I'm on a target and I have dug a deep hole and need to see if I'm within 3 inches of the target. The main problem I have with the TRX is if the target is in the the side of the hole. I tend to keep digging down. I have also lost dimes and zincs even though they are right on top of the pile. I can't explain that one. I would like to hear more about the Garret AT and enjoy your post.

Maybe I just got lucky, but my AT pointer came with a duracell... now it only lasted an hour, but I threw a new one in. About 5 hours on it so far with no issues.
Kinda wish there was a battery check feature on it.
But I agree with above, always have a spare with me.

Thanks for the tip. I received a AT PRO Pointer for Christmas and used it twice when it started to act up. I thought I my have to call Garrett but I'm going to try changing the battery first. Hopefully that will fix it.

I've used my new Garrett at pp for probably 8 hours now with supplied battery with no problems. I know the frustration though with bad batteries. Years ago I bought a black Garrett pp off somebody and the battery was bad. The pinpointer just kept beeping and vibrating and out freaked me out.