Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New GB Pro 5x10 coil - first impressions

Why in the world do these have a 6 1/2 foot cable? It's about 40 inches longer than the 5 or 11 inch coil cables. It seems like a waste of good cable. Plus I seem to experience more EMI with this coil than the 5 or 11 inch coils and that makes me wonder if it is related to having a longer cable. I had the coil out at a nearby soccer field just for some basic coin hunting. I really like the closed loop. It seems to have less resistance across the turf. Sensitivity wise it seems about on par with the 11 inch coil. I had no problem hitting coins at 6 inches. I dug some nickels, dimes, quarters, pennies, soccer pin and a silver earring that was on the surface. The pinpointing however was odd. It seems to center about where the slanted rod supports meet the top coil surface. I had hard time (compared to the 11 inch coil) with using just tone for pinpointing and had to also incorporate the depth reading to help narrow down the target. I never did get it down tight. It's not real bad but it does not seem to pinpoint as good as the other coils. I like the coil so far and think it's a keeper.

Yes, why in the world...

The long cable can not be used for hipmount... yet..?

A waste of cable or a logical explanation for the length ?

I used my new 10" this past weekend. I found that the coil is very, very sensitive. It's was easy to work in the sage brush. Since the rattle snakes are still out I used the long lower rod and adjusted it from time to time to fit the conditions. I was looking around an old mill site and found everything but the small gold I had hoped would be there. I found some very small targets and believe that the coil would have found the gold if it had been there. On my coil, the front and rear tips of the coil are very sensitive. I was able to pinpoint targets using the tip only, working from two 90 degree directions. Overall, I am very happy to have this coil. For me, it's a for sure keeper. Lastly, I would much prefer to have to much extra wire than not enough. Ofter times when reaching in and under sage brush I am running with the longest lower rod fully extended. Hope this helps. If you are thinking about buying one they are great for rocky, and brush conditions. John

Factor in that on the basis of finds and comfort I am still improving significantly, but after less than a week with this coil I have found my oldest coin (1906 IH), first real gold (10g) and first marked 925 (though tiny) silver jewelery! How much is the coil? Its gotta be at least some! Obviously, I am impressed.

I have yet to hear a compelling explanation for the extension cord. What would you belt mount anything that it fits and would you really need the extra length for that? I think all my coils are long enough already, though I haven't tried them. I have used my ID Edge and HH PI off shaft so I am not without any experience here.

So why this one when FT has not done it with the others? My best guess is that we may soon see a water version packaged with this coil in the VERY NEAR future. *From my lips to FT ear!* Save your pennies kids!
Tom the hopeful
:wiggle:PLEASE...:clap:

I think the long cable is great, I chest mount the box and use it for shallow water hunting, great detector for hunting Au in water. Think outside the box.

Alright there goes my fantasy. I did cruse the beach this afternoon and pulled a diamond ring (looks good to me) an earring and a fist o clad. My best beach day to date. This coil on my GB has out done my PI at the beach, maybe I should venture into the water? :wiggle:
Tom

Thank goodness I popped in and read Terry and Pastor Tom's posts. I believe both of you are on the right track...an underwater version of the GB is on the way, hence the 6.5 foot cable. I desperately need a larger coil for wide areas (too slow to work those spots with the 5" coil) and had had enough of merely drooling @ the 10". Was gonna hit the BUY button on it this evening...but if Fisher's gonna put out a waterproof GB with that coil, I'll wait for that!

No promises, remember Dave J cannot comment and understandably so. Big thing to note here is (and no speculation here...) that I really never cared for the 11DD on any of the 3 machines I have them for, but I REALLY like the 5X10! Rapidly approaching infatuation!
Tom the consumer
:detecting:

Wouldn't the connector also have to be waterproof if this coil was to used for a possible future underwater version?

"Wouldn't the connector also have to be waterproof if this coil was to used for a possible future underwater version?"
-Jimbog
One would think...

Once again reality rears its ugly head and spoils a perfectly good theory!

So we are back to extra cable to support Australian surf hunting and no new toys.

Heck, I am gonna go hunting!
Tom

how about a photo of thiscoil ??

[attachment 211203 gbcoil1.jpg]

Well Tom this may be stretching it a bit, but cable connectors can be made waterproof with the use of a suitably designed cable clam. Maybe Fisher has one in the works? I've tried to make my GB Pro waterproof using Lock&Lock boxes and cable clams but it's too big, has lots of buoyancy and is most un-hydrodynamic (read: it's darned hard to move it about when underwater). Went back to normal land-mode and considered it a lost DIY cause.

My machine paid for itself months ago, and if there was a streamlined waterproof version, I'd be first in line to buy it! (Hope the good people at Fisher read this)

Jimbog said:
Why in the world do these have a 6 1/2 foot cable? It's about 40 inches longer than the 5 or 11 inch coil cables. It seems like a waste of good cable. Plus I seem to experience more EMI with this coil than the 5 or 11 inch coils and that makes me wonder if it is related to having a longer cable. I had the coil out at a nearby soccer field just for some basic coin hunting. I really like the closed loop. It seems to have less resistance across the turf. Sensitivity wise it seems about on par with the 11 inch coil. I had no problem hitting coins at 6 inches. I dug some nickels, dimes, quarters, pennies, soccer pin and a silver earring that was on the surface. The pinpointing however was odd. It seems to center about where the slanted rod supports meet the top coil surface. I had hard time (compared to the 11 inch coil) with using just tone for pinpointing and had to also incorporate the depth reading to help narrow down the target. I never did get it down tight. It's not real bad but it does not seem to pinpoint as good as the other coils. I like the coil so far and think it's a keeper.
This may answer your question about the cable length. :beers:

(Quote From Fishers Web Page)

New coil!
We are proud to announce another excellent Fisher coil to add to your arsenal--------

The new 5x10 solid DD coil has excellent depth and unbelievable target separation capabilities. It was designed for the New Gold Bugs so it has incredible sensitivity to small targets and will be a must have for the gold prospector. Excellent for coins relics and jewelry hunting it comes standard with a 6