Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Golden umax..darn... old version

vanner

Well my eagerly anticipated Golden arrived on Tuesday and it turned out to be the old tones version . I never gave it a thought that they were still selling the old tone models until someone on the forum posted that the new ones" were hard to come by". By then it was well on its way. After I assembled it I rushed down to a local park to try it out, lined up a nickle and various items including old and new pull-tabs, and the next thing I noticed is that in narrow notch it notches out the modern pulltab and the nickle right at the narrow end of the notch dial, no way could I even get close to Mikes settings in his video. The ground balance was high as I sort of expected, so I adjusted this down a little bit hoping this might help, but its still pretty much the same. The next step will be to send it in to tesoro and get the tone upgrade done, and notch adjusted.
Until it gets back I can only watch those great videos that Mike posts and keep excited with every- ones posts and finds

Aww that sucks...ya kinda like me. I researched the golden only to get the outlaw cause of the price i got on it..well mine arrived with no toggle switch and it was brand new. My detector did a 180 right back to Tesoro..now I just watch vids once again. Love that Golden..next on my list for the right price.

Good luck and HH,
AFMIKE

The old version Golden I've had since 2003 will notch out two hole tabs and give a signal on nickels just like the new tone Golden Mike showed in the video. I've mentioned it had that capability in several posts over the last 9 years. Tabs that are bent,or borken will give a signal, but with the notch width set correctly intact tabs won't give even a click while nickels give a solid signal. .

I wouldn't send that back if I were you, I have the old tone version and it does just fine when I use the notch filter. I can set it numerous ways. The old tones are linear, I'm glad I have the old tone versions.

I would use a nickel over the coil and adjust the dial to get the nickel tone is how I set mine, then use the notch , the nickel should still be heard on narrow position, hank

If I needed a Golden I would buy yours. I liked the old version much better than the new version. Keep what you got and adjust that Notch. Remember the adjustment mainly affects the lower end of the Notch. Not just me but several on here have posted that they are not fond of the New version of tones. Run your Discrimination low and listen to your tones. On the old Version everything sounds in order as it should be on the scale. There is no high tones without a good coin. On the new version you get these High tones for pull tabs and you get tired of digging them eventually and just want to Cherry Pick. This makes the Old version easier to interpret so you can dig more of those questionable targets if you want or dig a coin everytime by just listening for the higher tones.

I had the old one, traded it on another Tesoro....now I had the new one, but I think I would prefer the old one as the tones suited our (Aussie) coins better.

Thanks for the replies guys. From your replies I will consider giving the old tones a go ,but its driving me nuts with it dicsing out the nickle around 3 O clock in narrow notch. Its almost like at that range theres too little allowance to keep the nickle and get rid of the tab,, so... Ive just adjusted the tones pot...oh yea.. risky. but it was of no use to me how it was.

Another thing you guys need to remember is the notch filter and the tones work completely different on targets that are in ground, as opposed to during an air test. If you don't believe, experiment. I'm speaking from experience. Don't believe ANY air tests.