Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New GPX 5000, Got Me One.....:jump:

Richard@BackwoodsDetectors

Findmall Sponsor
I have a new GPX 5000 that I will be taking to DIV XIX in November. I will be taking it out next week (if we get some rain) and trying it out here. The machine to many, may seems to be intimidating to set up but in reality is very easy. The greatest depth can be achieved in the Coin and Relic Mode ,with only ferrous discrimation using a DD coil.
Kevin Hoagland, when testing the 5000, had a patch that was 20' X 20'. He hunted it with the GPX 4500 and dug all targets leaving nothing that it could detect. He went over the same ground with the 5000 and got 33 targets and marked each one. He then took the 4500 and went over each target. The 4500 could only hit 2 of the 33. A testimony to what the 5000 can do.
Finally, if anybody is looking for a great deal on a new 5000, give me a holler. Thanks Richard

Coin and relic will not work in the red dirt of Culpeper County. Look at the documentation. Coin and relic is only good in ground that has little to no mineralization. That ain't the dirt around Culpeper. The red dirt around Culpeper is some of the most mineralized in this country. Thats why 85-90% of the relic hunters use PI machines at DIV. And the GPX is becoming the overwhelming favorite because it cancels the mineralization.

I have used the GPX 5000 at DIVs XV, XVI, XVII and I will again at XIX. You will need to use another timing something in the custom category at DIV.

As already stated, the coin/relic timing wont work up in Culpeper. You can't ground balance it there...it actually wont let you get any closer than a foot and a half from the ground. I've tried it everywhere I've been....Virginia, Georgia, and all over southeast Tennessee. I've yet to find a spot I could use the coin/relic timing. In communicating with other 4800/5000 users I've yet to talk to anyone who has been able to balance and use that timing.

That basically means the other timings you would use for coin or relic hunting
are identical to the 4500 - 5000. Unless for some reason you were using the Fine Gold timing with a mono loop for relic hunting.

Minelabs video says to use the custom timing Hi Mineral for relic hunting the culpeper area. It works but I done my own experimenting with timings on which gave the best response while I was at the Beauregard farm hunt...and that same data held true down here too. It wasn't Hi Mineral that was the best timing. For $1000 I will tell you what it was haha. I was digging minie balls down to 20 - 23 inches. I couldn't believe how deep they were. Most were between 15 and 18 inches in the corn field. I had just shy of 120 bullets I brought home and gave several to my riding buds that I didn't count. Most were. 69 cal minie balls....I had never dug one of those huge things til that hunt. I'd only dug .58 cal before.

I'm thinking about joining you all.... a 5000 for relic hunting. Based on price alone I can't believe that I am even considering it, but a dealer friend let me try his for a day and that made me a believer. Been saving $$$ and selling all sorts of things ever since, almost have enough to pick one up. But I still need to convince the wifey, thankfully she's almost on board with it... :cool:

the 5000 found way more , but were the COIN SIZE or SMALL like shotgun pellits????

Yep your right. I hunt with the 4800 in Va and cannot use the Coin/Relic timing even in good ground. That mode must require some extremely benign soil to operate. In normal conditions the Normal/Deep Timing is working well for me, and some sites with mild to med mineralisation the Sharp timing is working well. Didn't much care for Hi-Mineral timing in Culpeper either, and believe its use would be for the most extreme mineralisation where your GPX struggles for stable operation. I had better success with Extra and Enhance timings using the stock DD. Just now field testing the Commander 5x10 DD and the 12x15 mono and hopefully I'll have some feedback soon.

Got a program from a friend to use at DIV... I knew that huning in Relic wouldn't work in Va. in the hot ground but Relic does a super job here in E. Tenn.. Best to all, Richard

My understanding is that there will be a significant increase in the number of 5000's at DIV this year, if you're not totting one then you're bringing a knife to a gun fight! ;)

HH
BarnacleBill

BarnacleBill said:
My understanding is that there will be a significant increase in the number of 5000's at DIV this year, if you're not totting one then you're bringing a knife to a gun fight! ;)

HH
BarnacleBill

Then how about a TDI Pro with a 14" round Razorback mono, that should be the next best thing to a 5000. Or if you are tight for money get a second-hand used SD-2100 or 2200.

TDI Pro will work just fine! John K. alluded to the fact that this will be a woods and field hunt. If this isn't your first DIV then you will know that the fields have been cultivated for 150 years so they have their fair share of junk to contend with.

I will be picking up an almost new GPX 5000 and an Excalibur II for $1,100 the next time I go to the Philippines. An American husband to one of my wife's friends passed away recently and she wants the money for them plus accessories. I'm not sure which accessories but I've seen some of the gold jewelry he found with them. I was looking forward to metal detect with him but never got the chance.

I just bought a new 5000 and have only had it out one time. But even in the extremely low mineralization and sandy soil here in SE Virginia it was a joke trying to use the coin and relic mode. I figured if it would work anywhere it would be here, but that was not the case - not even close. I'll be taking it to Culpeper for DIV XXI in March, so guess I need to get some pointers on the best timings and other settings to use for my first time in the red dirt with this machine. Any replies or PMs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ..... Bill

If you go over to The Treasure Spot we have covered this extensively and I'm sure there will be more coming for DIV XX and XXI.

After listening to Kevin Hoagland from Minelab, at DIV XIX, most of us GPX users were taught some new lessons and to say the least he was right and all the folks that worry about red dirt were wrong.

I go by scottTX on the Spot.