Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Ground First 2015 Silver

hunter_46356

Did the research last year and got permission over the long winter. This property was an old school back in the early 1900. Not very big property and extremely overgrown. Still able to see the foundation and it looks like somebody's been using it as a dump. Trash,bottles and scrap iron litters the place. Only had an hour or so and didn't cover much ground but she coughed up a couple wheats and my first silver for 2015. Taken a limb saw next time maybe a rake too. Weather's finally acting like spring in Indiana. Happy Hunting.

Nice silver bud. Good way to start.

Really nice and crispy Q!

Small tough overgrown site huh? Maybe you can run a cheap mower over it quick? Feather that baby up on its back wheels and sort of use it like a poor mans bush hog? Or give it a good hack with a machete? Something to knock down the growth so you can get a decent sweep? A cheap gas push mower feathered up can really go through some stuff if a guy works it right...take all the big stuff out with the machete first of course..
Thats old dirt there Hunter, you know theres more great finds there if you can get through to them...Good Luck!:beers:
Mud

Hey Mud, I should have been more specific in describing the spot. It's overgrown with small to large trees w low hanging branches, green brier and willow. (I just love green brier don't you) Throw in several sq. yards of trash scattered about. The open ground right now, before green up, is just covered with leaf debris and hundreds of fallen limbs and a few down trees, anywhere from finger size to body size. Gonna do the best I can with whats accessible then maybe think about doing a heavy clearing if the finds warrant it. I could spend a couple days just doing that. Next time out I'll post some pics of the tangle. Got two more new spots this winter that need hit before green up or I will have to try the mower thing.

Your research has paid off and I am sure there is more there. What size coil are you running?

Ok, remind me not to loan any of my garden tools to Mud . . . the man is a maniac! :rofl:

Earthlypotluck, Seeing the shape the area was in I started with a SEF 6x8, It's proven it can pull coins out of a trashy park at eight inches. This areas not much different. After finding another map I'm pretty sure the School ground was larger than it is today. Outside the tangled mess is farm field. Gonna run the Ultimate around the perimeter and see what I may find,then dive back into the thick stuff. Gonna break out some old hunting brush pants to plow through the briers. @ PSS Muds suggestions got me thinking about fitting one of them solid blades on my weed eater, might make quick work of opening some more ground. Problem I have right now is two other places that need worked before things green up or the Mud Mower thing might be in order. For a few bucks I could retro fit an old Craftsman pusher I have with bigger wheels and have at it.You know what they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention" I can see it now. "The Mud Mower Detector" All in one metal detecting brush mower. Ya just never know what people would buy now days.

One tool I suggest always having on hand in the pouch or on the belt is a good sharp pair of pruning shears. Too inefficient to clear large areas but sure helps with the odd root or sapling that gets in the way. A good one will cut 3/4" of green wood.

-pete