Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New guy help?

gregD

an other new-guy posting for the first time....

I happened across this forum when I was wandering the net killing some time. I've always been interested in detecting but never got into it because I didn't want to buy something I knew nothing about and end up with a POS detector....or spend too much and find I didn't like it.

So here's my offer/solicitation for help :) :
I have a house on 2 acres, its older 1928 or 1926 was the year it was built. Whenever I dig in the yard (when I was planting some stuff) I keep coming across ....stuff. All kinds of stuff. buried in the ground. I've found bunches of kids marbles buried about a foot down in the ground when I was planting Lilacs. I found an old trap (a foot trap for animal trapping) buried a few inches under when I was removing an dirt-floor old shed. I always find other things, nuts and bolts, glass, ceramic.....nothing of value really...but then I don't have a detector.

If someone has more than one detector and has the time to show me the ropes, I'd be happy to let you make as many holes as you want in my yard while we are doing it and keep what you find :)

I know this isn't the most tempting offer probably but I'm looking to learn a little and there's no place like home to start I'd think. I'm in East Peoria, IL.

I'd like to learn the basics of how to do it, what to look for in a detector, and any tips or tricks you can offer.

Let me know, I'd love to see what you can teach me and what we can find!
-Greg

also, I'm a very friendly person :)

Sounds like a good deal Greg...1 problem only have 1 detector but would be willing to show you what it can do and take turns digging targets or something like that. I'm in the heights.what do you think? Steve

Boy, we wish we could help you, but for now we are too busy and have a lot on our plates. We do have an extra detector and if you still need some help, let us know. I think once you get the hang of it, you'll be hooked. It's a great hobby and what other hobby pays for itself. HH, Nancy

Welcome to the forum Greg and you are in good hands with McLucky showing you the ropes. My detecting time is limited for a couple of weeks, maybe we can meet at the next club meeting June 28th, 6:30 PM at the Lakeview Library?

Thanks for the replies and welcomes.

McLucky, I appreciate the offer, I think that should work. I'll send you an email to the address you have listed on your profile here and we can work out a mutually agreeable time.

naturally, if we find anything cool, we'll post it here :)

As a side note, is detecting allowed at Farmdale Reservoir in EP? I was out there running (my biggest passion) and saw a guy and girl (in their 20s or so) hiking in with detectors pretty close to sunset....so I figured maybe they were doing something they shouldn't be.

The reservoir is fair game the last I knew, it is controlled by the Army Corp of Engineers and almost all ACE property can be hunted by an agreement with the FMDAC. Years ago I think I found where there used to be an old campground there and we found some older coins.

I have three good detectors in three diff price ranges if you need to test out the tech. Let me know if you need me.

i saw a craigslist posting for a Bounty Hunter 505. whats the general consensus on that brand and model? the guy also includes a 6" coil for a total of 140$

If I have fun with McLucky and his detector I may pick it up if its worth it.

or, if that one happens to be garbage, let me know which are good brands and good models and I'll start browsing
:)

I would stick with a major name brand with service. I have a demo unit with a full two year warranty that was used in the Western Eastern Treasures magazine product review for the SunRay PZ-1 pinpointer. So in a way, it is a famous unit seen around the world............:biggrin: Here is a link for for information on the White's Coinmaster. http://whiteselectronics.com/coinmaster.html

If this falls into your price range, it is a nice entry level detector. Watch the videos........... :thumbup:

this is the one i saw advertised locally

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/bountyhunter/pioneer505buy.htm

seems like a higher price point and good features..... would you still advise the coinmaster new vs that one used with spare coil?

the owner says its got about 10hrs

**Edit** never mind....its sold anyways. CoinMaster seems to be in my price range so I'll check it out

I too would recommend a major brand detector due to craftmanship and quality of construction. I would not buy a detector from wall mart which is where your last two were sold from. Again, check out some of the club members detectors and ask questions. Be happy, not sad after the purchase.

Take your time Greg, the one I have isn't going anywhere to soon and there are others to pick from as well.

Thanks to Steve for stopping by for a few hours....I think I may have to get one of these pretty soon!

we didn't find a whoooole lot but didn't really scratch the surface on how much of the yard was searched.

a few wheat pennies and memorials, one dime, two quarters from the 90s.....and lots of random pieces of scrap

still, I think I understand how people can get sucked into the hobby :)

budget is under 200$ and am open to any suggestions as to which detectors to look at....
:)